Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting a service dog but i have a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting a service dog but i have a question.

hi everyone! I know its been awhile since I've posted on here but my life got turned upside down last year and I've just kind of gone quiet trying to heal. my husband and I are getting a divorce, Wednesday will be our 26th wedding anniversary, kinda sucks!

I have a friend who use to train dogs. a friend of hers who is also a dog trainer just had a litter of puppies. my friend told her about me requiring a service dog and she said that she wouldtrain the dog for me suited to my needs. she is actually trained one of the dogs from the last litter to be a service dog for someone.

here's where I need some wisdom: the mother is a pitbull and the father is a boxer. they are both the sweetest gentlest dogs I have ever met & my friend said that they trained very well and for me, being not only disabled and in a wheelchair but now single living by myself, the dog would be not only a great service dog but guard dog because most people will look at her and go the other way!

I told my landlord last week that I was going to be doing this and he had no problems with it. Now he called me this morning and informs me that I am not going to be able to have that dog because it will make her her insurance go up. I get the whole stigma that's on pitbulls but I actually have met many that are the sweetest animals it's the owners that make them mean. this seems like a form of discrimination and can she do that? if the dog if certified as a service confused, if she is a certified service dog, can my landlord tell me I can't have it or make me pay extra each month for it?
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

I would check with the housing people in your area to make sure what the law is.
    Keep us posted ,God Bless Owl Nona.

Comment

I don't ever disclose the breed of my pups because sadly it is acceptable to discriminate against certain breeds rather than require abandon our current love of political correctness and put the blame on the scum bag humans who abuse and damage these vulnerable creatures.

I pray a service dog gets a pass when it comes to this discriminatory practice. Please keep us posted.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Does your landlord know the dog is not a full pitbull? Sometimes that makes a difference.
        Diagnosed 1/4/13
        Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

There may be a state or city law that puts some breeds in a separate category. It might even be the landlord´s ins. co. that puts some breeds in a special category.

Comment

Contact the ADA. In some states (e.g. DC) a landlord cannot deny a tenant with disabilities the right to a service animal.

www.ada.gov

Comment

Pit bulls, lovely as the individual dog in question may be, are basically illegal down here.
              Yes, not the dog's fault, generally.

Do you really want a dog that frightens, only on appearance, everyone you meet?

What about a nice Labrador?

Comment

You're right that it's not the landlord saying you can't have the dog; it's the insurance company saying the premium will be higher.

And that's actually the norm. Most companies DO have a list of breeds of dogs that will increase premiums. I'm not surprised pit bulls are on there. Huskies, German shepherds, dobermans and rottweilers are also on that list.

I would press the issue, as you stated the dog will be certified as a service animal...if you can get the certification to the insurance company, they may waive the higher premium due to ADA regulations.

Good luck!

Comment

There are Service Dogs out there that are Pit Bulls.

Federal Law concerning Service Dogs trumps State or Local laws.

Even sweet dogs can bite.

If you decide upon a Pit Bull or another dog that is considered to be a potentially dangerous dog, you should take out a personal Umbrella policy on the dog...or you could lose everything you have. It is you that will be held liable in a Court of Law, not the Landlord.

I have a policy on my Therapy dog, who is 7 lbs soaking wet. Never has bitten, never growled. He does not even bark. But I sure would hate to be sued if he ever did bite.

Just some food for thought. Good luck on getting your new fur baby.
                  Katie
                  "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                  "My MS is a Journey for One."
                  Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

It's sad to say, as there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. Unfortunately, Pit Bulls are the ONLY breed that is discriminated against.

In my Province, they are legal to own, but must be muzzled when in public. Maybe check this angle out. I always feel bad for them, most of them don't need a muzzle but if you are loyal to the breed, it may be the only way to own one.

Please keep us updated.

Jen
                    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post

Do you really want a dog that frightens, only on appearance, everyone you meet?
                      Yeah, I do.

I have always had large, intimidating looking dogs and actually appreciate the fact that they might cause someone unsavory to think twice about approaching us. In addition to being my loving companions they are also guardians of our family and property.
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      Anonymous

Comment

In my state (Washington), you can't deny an ADA animal, whether companion or service. I would do a little research and unless your state/county has laws regarding certain breeds I don't think they can deny.

I agree with others...mixed breed or "boxer mix" is what I would call the dog. I hate that people view pit bulls as "bad", they are wonderful caretakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                          Yeah, I do.

I have always had large, intimidating looking dogs and actually appreciate the fact that they might cause someone unsavory to think twice about approaching us. In addition to being my loving companions they are also guardians of our family and property.
                          I agree with Jules A. Honestly, I have had only sincere, curious people approach me with a large dog. People who have reason to fear him, usually walk around us.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Mom View Post
                            It's sad to say, as there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. Unfortunately, Pit Bulls are the ONLY breed that is discriminated against.

In my Province, they are legal to own, but must be muzzled when in public. Maybe check this angle out. I always feel bad for them, most of them don't need a muzzle but if you are loyal to the breed, it may be the only way to own one.
                            I spent a lot of time on that campaign against BSL (breed specific legislation). Sigh! Dogs are grandfathered in, etc.

Best Friends Animal Society in the US is still working behind the scenes to end all BSL in North America.

Comment

Just remember that having legal rights is one thing and enforcing them is another. Before you escalate this, I would have a plan for what you would do if the landlord doesn't back down, tries to evict, raises the rent, whatever.

Who will represent you? If you represent yourself, do you have a law library nearby? Do you have a place to go if you lose by missing a deadline or the judge is unreasonable? Are you prepared to appeal if you have to?

Also whether or not the landlord fights legally, she may fight in a practical personal sense. Are you prepared to have her dislike you, not want you there? Can she raise the rent to cover her higher cost, and are you prepared to pay? In your city are there limits on how much she can raise the rent legally? Are you prepared to sue if she acts in retaliation for the dog?

I'm not saying don't fight. Just be aware that if you choose to fight, sometimes the other side fights back.

Comment

Working...
                              X