No announcement yet.

Ideas wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick question for MrsBones (sorry to hijack your thread Job)...

If not using shampoo, how do I wash the multiple layers of anti-frizz products out? Is it based on not using any extra product?

Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

MMMMS, natural scalp and hair oils, on average, balance out to a level that maintains scalp and hair health. Some naturally have drier hair, some more oily. Shampoos that are mostly sudsing agents tend to dry the scalp and hair, which can, in some people, force the oil glands to overcompensate. Many inexpensive shampoos and conditioners (conditioners have some of the same cleansing agents as shampoo, just in a different ratio, with, of course, moisturizing agents, etc) have more sudsing power than actual cleansing and/or conditioning power.

Without seeing your hair myself, my guess would be that your hair may be affected by the more than necessary suds found in most shampoos, causing normal to maybe overactive oil glands to overcompensate, which then makes the conditioner almost redundant. The end product is limp and clumpy hair. Try a different shampoo, switch to conditioner only, or try a mix of baking soda and honey. "Recipe" follows:

To make what I jokingly call "hair balls", just mix honey into baking soda until you have a cookie dough consistency, then roll into large grape sized balls. Let dry a while and store in an airtight container. They don't dry completely and will stick to each other. Neither is a problem, but if you don't want to deal with the sticking together, put plastic wrap between layers in the container and space them apart. To use, mix one ball into about half a cup of water until dissolved, then use like shampoo. Follow with light conditioner if desired. Adjust the baking powder/honey ratio as needed for cleansing needs. They can be used as frequently as needed, 1-7x a week.

Cat Mom,
      You can switch to conditioner only washing (co-washing) and still use product. The natural oils found on the scalp and hair act in a small way like the oil ducks produce to keep their feathers water resistant. It helps repel some grime and allows it to be rinsed away. It also allows curly hair, if left to its own devices, to maintain more of its natural shape. Shampoos, sprays, and other hair products strip those oils, making conditioners necessary as well as anti-frizz products.

Overproduction of those oils can lead to grimy feeling hair, but if the natural level is a good one and maintained, there will be less frizz and less of a need for anti-frizz products. So if you want to try co-washing, continue to use your other products for the time being. Instead of shampoo, use a good portion of conditioner, swish/scrub as if it was shampoo and let sit as you shower or bathe, then rinse. A second co-wash can be done if you want. Unless you have gobs and gobs of anti-frizz stuff in your hair, it will come out. I can tell you, I haven't yet been unable to get it out and I've used heavy duty products designed to create Mohawks.

The key is to let your scalp regain its natural oil production. Again, sounds gross, but let it do its job. It might take a week or two, but once it levels and your hair regains its natural state, you may find you need less frizz product or even none at all. We all know curls are at the mercy of humidity, so you probably will need it, but who knows? It happens.
      A little leave in conditioner, or even a small amount of your regular conditioner left in your hair, before the anti-frizz products will also help maintain curl shape as well as make all following products easier to wash out.

If you feel that you need more cleansing oomph, try the hair balls mentioned above or add some baking powder to the conditioner.

Hope that helps, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
        I'd typed all my thank-you messages, and I forgot to press submit. All nice and individualised they were. Smiley faces, names all spelt right.

Different computer, (yes at work), and it all vanished, "like an old oak table" as Blackadder's Baldrick would say.

Sorry. Thank you all, I have taken note.
        Sorry I have no helpful ideas, but I LOVE Blackadder!Nobody ever knows what I'm talking about except my son who loves it too!I think Rowen Atkins is great & I love Baldrick!

Comment

Overheating in the tub or shower

I haven't had a bath in years...much too difficult getting back up out of the bathtub. I have in the past year moved to using a shower bench that has suction cups on it. I find it very sturdy and it doesn't move AT ALL. I have it adjusted so my feet lightly touch the floor. I have also put auxiliary shower head...um...holders on the other two walls of the shower...about half way up the wall. This way, I can take my hand held shower head and put it in the holder that is next to me in easy reach. If I'm sitting, I can just pull it over to rinse what needs to be rinsed. Works great for shaving legs, or tending to my feet, too.

And, no, I didn't mislead you with the title...I always, always, always have a fan parked on the counter of the bathroom. I position it to blow toward the toilet (next to the shower) and the shower. When I come out, all moist (and sometimes wringing with sweat...even though I take tepid showers), I enjoy standing or sitting in front of the cooling fan. I get all my cracks and crevices thoroughly dry that way, too...LOL

Comment

Mrs Bones, I'm with you about not using shampoo. I have curly hair and it looks so much better without shampoo. Saves money and all the effort of rinsing it out.

Comment

Shower idea.

This may not work for you, but it works for me. My uncle is a contractor and he installed a special shower nozzle he got from PETCO. I know what your thinking, and yes it is for bathing your pet. The advantage is you can turn the shower on and off at the nozzle. The benefit is you can spend as much time in the shower without wasting water. You made the comment about shaky legs. I have the same problem and I've found the problem is spending too much time in the shower. With that nozzle I don't need to take a full shower. I can break it up to multiple showers a day. I hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by aitch10 View Post
                I recommend getting a wet/dry electric shaver. I don't have the shaking issue but cannot, for the life of me, shave in the shower without getting my hair wet. And U don't want to.
                Anyhoo, I use the electric shaver before I shower. Works well.

Regarding the rest of your concerns, namely the fear, grit up the floor with those sticker thingies and maybe place bars in your shower. I don't have any so I grip the door and the soap holder for dear life :P
                Totally unimportant, but I didn't write the bolded in my previous post. Mods?

Weird.
                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by leannec1986 View Post
                  I have found the only thing that helps me is just taking cold showers. Not like ice cold... just below my normal body temp. If I tried to take a "warm" shower I get light headed, feel dizzy and washing my hair makes my arms feel like they weigh a ton! Then after I get out of the shower I literally have to sit/lay down for about 10 minutes just to feel like doing ANYTHING else. Also, even with the cold showers, I still sweat after from being so exhausted... But the cold does help for during the process.
                  I agree whole heartedly, I shave every other day and whash my hair on the days I don't shave so I don't use so much energy on one day. On days that I don't feel up to it, I just don't do either. But I think it's important to keep up with ourselves on the out side cause the inside is falling apart. I try to make myself feel HUMAN.

please be safe and good luck!!!
                  DIAGNOSED=2012
                  ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                  REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

if conditioner is needed could you use a shampoo/conditioner combo = one process vs two. Also, are you useing one of those shower heads that can be held by hand, bringing it closer to you? (may have missed it in other posts ). As for shaking in the shower chair, perhaps a different size/style to put in you in a higher or lower position that might help with the shaking? Just and idea. But then I don't use one so have no idea what's available out there.

This is tough and I sympathize with the challenge the shower is presenting you. Hoping to read you've found some helpful ideas and are managing showers better.
                    Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

I can really relate to the feeling of "complete and total dread" at the thought of taking a shower. I have a nice shower chair and several bars on the wall but there is always empty space where I need to grab something and things have a way of never being quite right. Not the right height...bars too skinny, etc. I have fallen a few times and getting back up was a nightmare. I'm OK with the washing part, thanks to a strong right upper body but afterwards I'm exhausted! You have to get dressed too...damn! I shower once a week...for me it is more psychological than physical.

Comment

Originally posted by Windwalker View Post
                        I'm OK with the washing part, thanks to a strong right upper body but afterwards I'm exhausted! You have to get dressed too...damn!
                        I can SO relate!

It's bad enough dreading the whole shower thing. Then you have to dry off, get dressed, and take care of your hair! (Although the hair part is more challenging if you're a girl!) Who would have ever thought hygiene & grooming could wipe a person out?!

Even so, I try to be grateful I don't have to resort to bed baths and the icky 'shampoo' in a shower cap. Had enough of those to last a lifetime.
                        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                        X