Ideas wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas wanted...

All right, showers, HELP. I'm so reluctant to put myself through the torment of the whole process, I'm getting grimey.

It makes me sooooo tired.

I am genuinely frightened of falling over, or slipping and being found nude and unconscious with blood draining down the plughole a la Psycho.

Yes, I have a shower chair, but my legs start uncontrollably shaking when I sit on the thing, even with the water at the Titanic just sank temperature.

I do the military wash with a cloth when I can't face it.

I only wash my hair once a week these days, and I don't have the strength to wash the conditioner out properly. I still look like like giant ball of frizz. Yes, I've cut it much shorter.

I don't want to have to shave my legs, but I can't afford that much waxing. I do get my eyebrows done, or I really would like a gorilla. That's because my fingers and tweezers are no longer a happy combination.

What's worrying me is I'm at the point of, well, who cares anyway? Let the hair grow free and wild. Double-strength deodorant, and there's nothing Febreeze can't cover up...

This is all very demoralising. Any suggestions?

I have found the only thing that helps me is just taking cold showers. Not like ice cold... just below my normal body temp. If I tried to take a "warm" shower I get light headed, feel dizzy and washing my hair makes my arms feel like they weigh a ton! Then after I get out of the shower I literally have to sit/lay down for about 10 minutes just to feel like doing ANYTHING else. Also, even with the cold showers, I still sweat after from being so exhausted... But the cold does help for during the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
      Yes, I have a shower chair, but my legs start uncontrollably shaking when I sit on the thing
      Do your legs shake uncontrollably when you sit on any chair? Anywhere? On the sofa? In the car? Do they shake if you sit on the shower chair outside the shower? Do they shake only on the shower chair in the shower?

Does the shaking actually stop you from washing and rinsing? Or is it more the fear and fatigue that stops you?

Comment

Do you have a tub? I started taking baths because showering is just too much time standing. The only thing I hate is cleaning the tub. Lots of Clorox.

I've heard of people drowning in the bathtub but if you feel safe I would recommend it. Even if its only once a week. It's very relaxing and helps my spasticity.

If you don't feel safe doing this alone, there are resources to get a caregiver to come in just to make sure you get in and out safely and, hopefully, clean and refreshed.

Comment

Do you have a bath? if yea why not consider using it - you can get a bath chair which you can raise and lower to help you in and out.
          Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ... Dr. Seuss

Comment

I did not read any of the other posts so I am sorry if I'm saying something somebody else did. Is your shower chair sturdy? The reason I asked is that I was exactly in the same boat until I got a better shower chair. Something to think about is getting one of those fairly inexpensive hard plastic patio chairs. Just something that I did in the past, and it really helped. The arms on the chair did get in the way, but the stability made up for it. Good luck
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I can relate to the frizzies! I haven't had a shower in at least 5 years but a bath instead. I dump my head over the tub and use the shower head to wash hair, then get into the bath.

The good thing about this method is that if i get overheated in the bath, I drain the tub and sit there until cooling of occurs... not a pretty picture I know, try not to visualize. If that doesn't cool me off, I can fill it with cold water.

Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I'm sorry you feel so weak and tired. I think all of us have had a day like yours from time to time. But every day is a different animal, isn't it.

Have you tried the cream hair removers for your legs? If those don't work on you (they don't on me) you could shave only when you'll be wearing a skirt or shorts. No one will see, and then who cares.

They sell dry shampoo, but I'm sorry I don't know exactly where. That will help you feel better between washings. I think there are leave-in conditioners, too. That will save one step, anyway.

You probably only have to actually rub soap on the "important" areas. The rest will get clean enough with the run- off soap, unless you've been very sweaty. Maybe that will save a little energy?

One more thing. On the day you wash your hair, don't do any extra grooming. Save nails, eyebrows, etc for another day.

Comment

I hit post before I meant to! Sorry for the abrupt ending there.

Please let us know what changes you try and how they work.

Sorry you're feeling so bad.

Comment

Hi Think! Honestly, I don't have any other helpful suggestions, but I enjoy your sense of humor in light of this predicament.

I do have one suggestion! I could move this thread into the Occupational Therapy forum where Susan Dorne, a licensed OT living with MS, has some great ideas. I'll wait to hear from you first if you'd like me to move this.

Take care of yourself and be safe in the shower!
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

A while back, I posted about having SAS (Shower Avoidance Syndrome.)

Who knew or even anticipated that a shower could be so hard or something to be dreaded, almost like you have to work up the energy and courage to just go in there and do it. So I totally relate to how you feel.

I, personally, couldn't do a bath...I could get in, just afraid I couldn't get out because hot or warm water absolutely takes the use of my legs away.

I think the biggest help for me is a hand held shower with a push button to turn it off and on. We have a built in bench, but I sit, and turn the button on, only rinsing one part of me at a time. For my hair, I've learned a technique of holding the shower head, but keep my elbows as close to my body as possible when washing and rinsing my hair. I don't know why that works, but I have more strength in my arms if I don't extend them.

Gone are the days of jumping in the shower and being ready to go someplace in 20 minutes. Now I plan a shower at least a couple hours before we're going out. Takes that much time to recoup.

I've figured out the shaving the leg deal...if you want to do it in shower, get an Intuition razor, amazing wide base, big handle that's easy to hold, soap right on the razor, so no need to soap up first. Or get an electric shaver and do it at another time other than in the shower.

I don't use conditioner, but they do make a couple no rinse out conditioners, just google it.

Hope you find a system that works for you.

Comment

My only contribution I have is in regards to hair. Having extremely curly hair and about 20 years experience working in salons, i picked up one very important tip that I've used for years: don't use shampoo.

I know, sounds gross, but good advice for anyone with curly hair and especially if you only have it in you to do one apply and rinse cycle. Use conditioner instead of shampoo.

I'm sure anyone who's up past 10 pm has seen commercials for Wen. Dear old Chaz Dean only commercialized on something done for years. Just choose a conditioner you'd otherwise use and use that instead of shampoo. You won't have suds, but that's a good thing since it's the chemicals used to make those suds that dries your hair and actually contributes to needing the conditioner in the first place.

Just skip shampoo and use conditioner. The rest of your hair care (styling products, leave in conditioner, etc) can remain the same.This eliminates a step in the shower and almost eliminates frizz once your hair's natural oils return to an appropriate level. If you feel a need for a clarifying treatment, use baking soda alone, mixed into the conditioner or with honey.

You don't have to do it every day, either. In fact, you can just rinse it, and after towel drying, put some conditioner in and leave it. Rinsing the next time both rinses the conditioner out and cleanses. Though not as thorough as a wash, it does the trick without having to wet, scrub and rinse.

Hope that helps!

Comment

I recommend getting a wet/dry electric shaver. I don't have the shaking issue but cannot, for the life of me, shave in the shower without getting my hair wet. And U don't want to.

Anyhoo, I use the electric shaver before I shower. Works well.

Regarding the rest of your concerns, namely the fear, grit up the floor with those sticker thingies and maybe place bars in your shower. I don't have any so I grip the door and the soap holder for dear life :P
                          Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I'd typed all my thank-you messages, and I forgot to press submit. All nice and individualised they were. Smiley faces, names all spelt right.

Different computer, (yes at work), and it all vanished, "like an old oak table" as Blackadder's Baldrick would say.

Sorry. Thank you all, I have taken note.

Comment

Wow! I wish I could get away with washing my hair less than daily! Most conditioners leave my hair hanging in greasy clumps. Most inexpensive shampoos do, too.

MrsBones, do you know why that happens with my hair?

Comment

Working...
                              X