How often do you get an MRI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you get an MRI?

I'm just wondering how often everyone gets an MRI after they have been diagnosed. Minus flares.

I'm on Ty, and am +, so I get the brain MRI every 3 months. 22 infusions so far.
    I don't get the others, because even if there are more lesions, there isn't much else I can do.

Just saw a bill for the first time(covered by insurance).
    MRI=$3,300.
    Dye for contrast=$260. WoW!

Comment

For me it's every 6 months. I'm getting Tysabri and the MRI's are part of the JCV/PML detection protocol.

Kyle
      At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

Oy, I didn't even post mine, sorry everyone.

I get my 2+ hour one every year. I went from not minding to one bad experience of the air not working right and now I am kind of a wreck when the time comes. I am on Copaxone btw.

Is the every 6 mths. just of the head or more?

Comment

Brain MRI only every 6 months for PML detection per VA protocol, dont bother will any others anymore,
          Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

My first MRI was nine years ago, just before diagnosis. I've had four others since, all for monitoring, not because of relapses (although I had a pair) or anything specific. All were brain-only, with and without contrast, lasting about an hour. The first three on 1.5 Tesla machines, the last two on 3.0 Tesla machines.

My last MRI was a little more than two years ago. Because the course of my disease has been relatively benign, and because each MRI is spendy (the last one cost me $1,800) I'm hoping to not have one again for a while.

Comment

I am to have a yearly scan of my brain, unless I have flares, at which point I will have them more often and of my c-spine, etc.

Comment

I'm only a couple of years into this, but my neuro seems to be thinking annual brain scans. Since it's a university clinic I expect they just like to have lots of data...

At my Nov. appt. he decided to order another c-spine, but he hadn't planned to. I think it was something I said, but I can't remember what. Maybe he had forgotten about my (biggest) lesion at C2 and I reminded him?
                1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

For my annual neuro appt last summer doc wanted the works b/c it had been 3+ yrs since the last one. I ended up getting brain only b/c we had not met insurance deductible & our budget couldn't handle the whole thing. My brain scan was free thanks the MS Society.

Barring anything bad happening, doc wants them every 3 yrs - that's often enough for me!
                  DX 10/2008
                  Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                  Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                  Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Hmmm. Perhaps I will be asking for a break this year, barring anything new of course. And I guess if the GB12 is available by November I'll have to since that's what they want to switch me to as soon as it's out.

I was just curious really. I don't know another person near my age with MS so thanks everyone.

Comment

Tommy, that is great the the NMSS helped with coverage. I am active in fundraising for the NMSS....the organization does a lot to help the MS community, besides the research support, but not everyone sees that side of it. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Hi! I've been doing this almst 13yrs. at 1st. it was every 3mo. than it was 4, after a year every 6mo. Now it's once a year,unless I have a flair.
                        God Bless, Owlnona

Comment

Working...
                        X