A Gift to Myself Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Gift to Myself Update

In early December 2012, I posted about a Tracker device bought for myself. I've been concerned about the effects a sedentary life from MS fatigue on my physical condition, declining general health, and recent MS progression.

The tracker didn't work out for me. I was a recreational bike rider, endorphin junkie before MS, but had to stop bike riding because my arms could not support my body weight on the handle bars without loss of arm function and neuro pain. In the past year I developed a huge case of MS hug and walking mobility problems. It seems my arms and the new MS Hug sx's coincide with a C-spine lesion/s.

With the Tracker device I could ride hands free and managed to do so within the first day. I was pretty excited, but within a week I had to stop Tracking even though I was riding hands free. The motion of my legs, torso, and lack of support for my spine caused an increase in MS Hug sx's. I waited a week, gave it another try, at a slower speed, but with the same result, so I returned the Tracker. I was very dissappointed and in a bit of a slump since I stopped tracking. I was excited and amazed at how quickly endurence and performance improved and a restored feeling of well being, but the tracker was not for me.

Last week I found an indoor Recumbent Bike. I'm on my 5th day with no MS sx problems so far and the price was exactly the same as the tracker. It's the bottom of the line, discontinued model. But it top of the line for me and I am lovin' it.

The difference between the Tracker and the Recumbent bike is the back rest and the seat that provides more support for my spine, and less torso motion.

A big bonus is the electronic monitor display that allow me to time my exercise routine, calorie counter, MPH, plus a few other things that for now I could care less about. I feel and see improvement with each routine. I think there's hope that my once pert bottom might be restored to it's proper placement on my body, at least partially.

I've gone through an exercise ball, hand held weights and the bike tracker, none of which were compatiable with one or the other of my MS sx's.

I was feeling defeated and almost gave up on the idea of finding any type of exercise that I could do. I learned a small lesson and want to encourage anyone looking for MS friendly exercise to keep looking for that one thing that works for you, figure out ways to work around limitations, keep trying to find the 'thing' that works for you.

Shop retailers with a good return policy, too. Keeping my fingers crossed. Wish me luck.

A big bonus is the electronic monitor display that allow me to time my exercise routine, calorie counter, MPH, plus a few other things that for now I could care less about.
    I think the displays are one of the best features of modern machines, and well worth the extra money. You set a goal like "300 calories in 30 minutes" and you are much more likely to actually do it. Or at least I am. I'd feel guilty if I didn't hang in there!

OTOH, I guess you could find yourself setting your sights too high if you're not careful. But building up slowly is the ideal, of course, and the display makes that easy to track.

I'm still OK with my elliptical machine (and previously had a treadmill), but I'll keep recumbent bikes in mind for the future.
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I'm happy for you MSW! Way to go!

Keep up the good work! It's encouraging to hear that you didn't stop and kept looking for another way to surmount your limitations. Kudos!
      When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Thank you for sharing. That may be helpful for me.
        Take care,
        swingingwillow
        Limbo lander on hold with a fast busy signal...

Comment

Great news for you, MSW! I've often thought it would be neat to have one. We have a elliptical and sometimes it's just too hard to stand. However, I do love having my arms move along with my legs, which it offers.

Keep up the good work Glad you found something that works for you!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I also just purchased a recumbent bike with gift certificates from Christmas. I had used one at a local fitness center, but it was high enough with a large center bar that I had to lift my leg over it. Then, because I was suspended in the air on the seat, it was difficult to get my toes into the straps and onto the pedals. I found the energy required to get dressed, drive to the fitness center, exercise for 30 minutes, drive home, and change clothes was taking too much energy and time out of my day.

The one I have has the control panel, is low to the ground, and is a "step through". I can highly recommend the recumbent for a little cardio and leg workout! Amazon has some great deals if you watch.

Comment

I am excited to hear this.
              I need some exercise, yet every time I do , I pay for it the next day.
              Maybe the recumbent bike is good for me.

Comment

MSW1963,

Thank you for sharing. Many of us do have issues with exercising and your post provides HOPE.

THANKS!!
                Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

MarkLavelle, CaroleL, swingingwillow, Seasha, ru4cats,
                  suziq38, and fishead, thank you all for your kind words.

When I opened up the box, I was in a bit of shock. There were many pieces, parts, tools, instructions. I just closed the box up, waited an hour and assembeled it in approx. an hour, minus a couple or 3 breaks.

Those of you who've considered a Recumb. Bike, I'd encourage you to look into it. Mine was a-hundred and a half, less a penny, a real bargain and very affordable even on my budget. Definately only purchase from a store with good return policy. You do want other options in the event it doesn't work out, you won't be stuck, out of pocket and reluctant to spend more.

Comment

MSW...thanks for sharing this! I also LOVE to exercise, but have had to adjust and adapt according to whatever sx I'm going through. I like to rotate through different types of exercise each day, necessary for me because I get easily bored and need variety. I also like the challenge of giving every part of my body a thorough workout (generally over the period of a week), which often can't happen from just one type of exercise or one piece of equipment.

I've looked into recumbent bikes, they could be particularly useful if I am having balance issues or am really fatigued. Do you recommend certain features, such as size of the seat, height of the back rest, digital monitors, etc? With all the bells & whistles on exercise equipment it is sometimes hard to sort out what is important vs. not necessary.

Eight years ago I overcame a lifelong battle with my weight and lost 150 lbs., so my motivation and incentive comes from wanting and needing to maintain that weight loss, as well as doing everything I can to strengthen my body and improve my quality of life for as long as possible. Exercise also has a dramatic effect on my state of mind, and has been a significant blessing as I deal with MS - not just physically, but emotionally and psychologically and spiritually.

I try to chill out on the days I am unable to physically exercise, and not let it get me down. I try not to "project" into the future by keeping my thoughts positive and not thinking things like "this is the end of the road for me with exercise" or "maybe I'll never be able to exercise again." There is a LOT of positive self-talk involved! I'll think things such as, "if my car gets a flat tire, I'm not going to throw the whole car away...I'll fix the flat (even if it takes a little time and is quite inconvenient), knowing my body historically recovers with time and a little TLC. If it's possible, I find "some" type of exercise/movement I can do during these times, and that keeps my spirits up!

Because of the changes I've made in my life through exercise (and eating healthy!), I feel empowered! There is now something "I" have control over, and no matter what happens health-wise, no one, and no disease can take this from me. I feel like there is ALWAYS something I can do....even if it's small!

And one thing to note....exercise and eating well help a lot with intestinal and bladder issues, one of the MS sx that I had a miserable time with before I made these changes! Oh, and now if I'm having problems with my legs, dizziness, or even severe pain, I LOVE that my husband can sweep me into his arms and carry me upstairs without the fear of giving him a heart attack! And I can also snuggle down on his lap when he's watching TV, and get all the warmth and comfort I need when I'm feeling awful or am in lots of pain! And he is good with that....a delightful way for a little marital bonding!!!

I might mention that I was overweight ALL my life. I was the last kid picked for teams in elementary school, and mercilessly made fun of. I was even mistakenly judged to be pregnant as an adult when I wasn't. I didn't go to a single dance/prom in high school. I rarely dated. Guys saw me as a friend, but nothing more...until I met my DH who saw through the exterior to my heart. I feel a little like my outside now matches my inside for the first time.

And then MS came along, and I had to re-evaluate everything all over again. But I figure MS was going to strike regardless of my weight, and I am glad that in the midst of so many things out of control with this disease, I have found one thing that IS in my control, and it just so happens to be something that has a dramatic impact on my health, my well-being, and how I feel in every way. I have my down days, weeks, and months, but it's all easier to deal with because "internally" I feel happier and emotionally stronger.. My overall positive attitude has served me well, and eliminated much of the depression (not all, and not all the time)...it's not perfect, but it's the difference of night and day compared to my past.

Sorry about the length of this post...it struck a nerve and is something I feel passionate about!
                    Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

MSW,

You should get yourself a map to keep by your recumbant bike, so you can "chart" your milage.
                      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

For Debby~

Sorry to hijack MSW's post, but want to congratulate you, Debby for your healthy weight loss! I love every word of what you've said here about your experiences thru your healthy lifestyle changes. I think the magic word is "Empowerment"!

When we think and dwell only on what MS has taken from us we are left with just that...."what we can't do" kind of image or mentality. When we do "something" - whether it be weight loss, practicing good eating habits, exercising to our own individual abilities is indeed Empowerment!! Exercising a good attitude in the face of adversity is Empowerment. Sometimes we can only take baby steps and sometimes leaps, but we should always strive to achieve moving forward.

Thank you for your words here. They are important reminders for us all!

p.s. I love to exercise- especially outdoors. It lifts my soul
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Recumbent Bike

I used an RB at the gym (long ago). That was the best fun I've had at a gym.

I don't know what a tracker is, so don't know how it works with bike riding?

I would invest in a RB; are they very expensive? Some are quite low to the ground; how do you get 'off' the bike :-)

Diane
                          You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

fishead, that's a great idea. I'm keeping a diary of timed sessions right now, but I do like the map and milage idea.

I've tried to reverse peddle, but there's a low clicking sound when I do, I think the flywheel cable? needs adjusting. I'll be calling CS about that tomorrow.

Debby, I can't even begin to comprehend what it must be like to lose that amount of weight, what an accomplishement. The self discipline alone is beyond anything I can wrap my brain around. Contrats to you for what must have been a monumental life change.

I imagine conquering weight loss over such a long WL journey, must inspire you and keep you going on some of your worst MS days.

I love reading about your WL journey and great attitude in the face of another of life's major adversities, chronic illness.

<bowing in complete admiration>

DianeD, a Tracker keeps a regular gear type bike in a stationary position. The rear bike wheel rests in the tracker device. It allows for indoor bike riding.

my RB is low to the ground, has 'pass through' frame design for easy access on/off; arm rest, flat seat and back rest; monitor for distance, time, calories burned, and a few others that I'll figure out as I master this little monster.

It has a magnetic fly wheel function? and adjustable resistence. The frame is adjustable for height, and long toned legs A bargain at $149.99.

It's the 'budget' model for home use. The brand is Body Champ, Model BRB 600, the manufcturer is Body Flex Sports, Inc. 'Safely supports up to 250lb', according to the owner's manual.

I'm still in my first week, on resistence #1, up to 1.5-2 hours per day while watching morning news and Ellen in the afternoon. Cash Cab was the best tv viewing for RBiking. I may try reading next.

I'm having MS hug sx's, not more than I have daily; keeping my fingers crossed on that. Iv'e noticed any minor increase/change in body temp results in body/muscle weakness. That's when I start pealing layers to cool down as quickly as possible.

I think the RB model is discontinued, may not be easily available in retail stores. I do see the model available at Amazon and other internet outlets when I google "Body Champ Magnetic Recumbent Bike Model BRB 600".

It requires assembly, all the tools are included. When I opened the box and recovered from the shock of all the pieces, parts, tools, instructions, it took just over an hour to assemble.

Best of luck to any of you considering a RB.

Comment

THANK YOU!

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE GOOD INFO ABOUT THE STATIONERY BIKE. GOOD PRICE..I FIGURED MORE LIKE $1000. I WILL LOOK INTO IT. i COULD AFFORD MORE, BUT NOT A HUGE AMOUNT MORE. HOW MUCH SPACE DOES IT TAKE UP???

DIANE
                              You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Working...
                              X