klonopin vs xanax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marti View Post
    I've taken very small amounts at different times during the day. But never all together. I have fibro too which is why they ordered cymbalta. Can you tell me more about that one? I haven't taken it yet, but it's being suggested more and more by the doc.
    I did not have any bad side effects to Cymbalta, and it did help my fibro pain. It has been no miracle drug though as I still definitely have some. I have to take 60mg in the am and pm which is the max dose. I have known numerous people that Cymbalta has helped tremendously with their Fibro. They did not think it was as there was still some pain leftover, and stopped taking it (I was one who experimented with this) and I/they definitely noticed it was helping.

I have also known a couple of people with the opposite effect. The cymbalta caused horrible side effects and made them very mean and feel like they were crazy. That is like any medication though. There are always medications that might have side effects and you never know if you will be one of the ones to get the bad ones.

I would definitely try it though as it has helped me much better than anything else. It is much more expensive even with insurance at $75/mth copay for my dose, but I am sure it is much lower with a lower dose and depending on your insurance. Ask you Dr. for samples before you go spending a lot of money on it.

And FYI, I have my medications split up into AM and PM. I took the xanax, klonopin and cymbalta all in the PM together with no problems ever, but the klonopin did not last long with me after I figured out it was having the opposite effect on me. Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know if it helps you
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

I agree with JulesA; addiction means you will do anything - lie, cheat, steal - to get the drug of choice, and that causes problems in your life with family, finances, legal, etc. Addiction can be regarded as a disease, and the person with an addictive personality will likely become addicted to another drug (or alcohol or tobacco) if the drug of choice is not available. Most people taking medications do not have addictive personality - including people like MSers who have a legitimate need for some medications in order to function.

Habituation means your body has "grown used to" the drug and you will feel bad without it (like insulin or Cymbalta or Xanax) so if you are planning to stop it, that drug may need to be tapered.

Tolerance means that your body "gets used to" a particular dose and then you need continuing higher doses to get the same effect. This is especially a problem with opiates (narcotic pain medications). Of course, sometimes your disease is changing for the worse, and you need a higher dose.

As mentioned above, most all drugs are a blessing and a curse. Any drug strong enough to work is strong enough to have side effects. The trick is balancing the benefits with the risks/side effects. Discussing these issues with your doctor (and if you have multiple docs, make sure each knows all the drugs you take) and your pharmacist is a really good idea.

We're all different. I like Xanax for its short half life. For me I usually take Zanaflex at night for muscle spasm, but it will make me sleepy for 8 - 12 hours. If occasionally the spasms are really bad, I can take half a Xanax also and know that I will be able to wake up and go to work in the morning. Since I rarely use it, tolerance, addiction and tapering haven't been an issue for me.

Comment

Working...
      X