Speech Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speech Problems

Have any of you very spoke and what you wanted to say isn't what came out? I personally have a few different types or levels of this. The 1st and most common is when you simply have what I call a "brain fart". This is when you know exactly what your trying to say but it's like your brain just flatlined in mid thought. The outcome usually is you suddenly stop talking and then can't even remember what it was you were saying. A look of total confusion is usually on my face. The conversation is instantly silent. ( sound of crickets) I will say...what was I saying to the person I was talking to. Sometimes they can say a word or two of what you were talking about and it will jolt your brain. You can then continue your conversation.*

Secondly I get what I call " brain lapse". This is basically the same as above with one exception. When the person your talking to gives you clues as to what you were saying and its like they just spoke Chinese to you. This is because what they are telling you that you were talking about does not even sound familiar. (no cricket sounds this time just a stupid look of total confusion on my face). When this happens I just usually say "okay what ever I guess it must have been profound"! Lol

Thirdly this one is the worst. It's what I call "foot in mouth syndrome" this is often a time when at that moment you feel confidante and self assured that what your about to say will be profound! I have a personal example of this one for you. Sit down this one is a doozie!*

First here is a quote to live by:*
    "You will have many opportunities in life to keep your mouth shut: You should take advantage of every one of them."
    Thomas Edison*

I walked into a Subway to get some sandwiches. There were a few people in front of me. I was not paying attention to the lady behind the counter making the sandwiches. I was tired and just zoned out waiting for my turn. So when the lady behind the counter asked me if she could help me I quickly said yes as I walked closer. Ok this is where it gets good!

As I told the employee what I wanted on my sub my eyes focused on her face. I wasn't quite sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me or was I really seeing what I was seeing. This lady had approximately 10-15 pubic-hair looking curly hairs about an inch long each dangling off her chin! I was taken aback by the site of this.

She had reddish hair so against her pale skin they stood out! I am not sure what she was saying because I was in a trance like state staring at these red curly whiskers on her chin. As every woman can tell you. We all get a chin hair every now and then. Never ever in my entire life have I seen a lady just let them grow out as if she was proud of them. I myself had just had laser hair removal. It was great. It cost $200.00 and it was worth it!*

So I am telling her what items I want on my sandwich but I am really concentrating on pubic like hairs to make sure one doesn't fall off on my sandwich. So there I am standing there trying to decide if I should mention to her about the laser hair removal I just had. I am thinking maybe she doesn't think we can see them? So after she is done with my sandwich is when it happen! I opened up my mouth and I said to her......"you know I just had laser hair removal on my chin". I said " it was just $200.00 and I think you should check it out"!*" it was worth every penny"! " I can give you There number".

It took me that long to remove the foot from my mouth and see the shocked and very sad look on her face! I couldn't believe I had just done this. I felt so bad. I could tell she was hurt and that was NEVER my intention. I just I guess wanted her to know we call all see her "mini goatee" and it was a lot less expensive then I thought. I just grabbed my sandwich and walked out feeling like a horrible human being. To this day years later I still will not go into that Subway.*

I didn't just put my foot in my mouth I chewed it and spit it out at this poor lady. I never wanted to hurt her but hopefully when she went home she shaved! Although they were long enough for her to pluck right out with her own fingers! Lol

I am not sure why her boss didn't require her to wear a net over her chin. If a guy has a beard or goatee he would! Was her boss afraid to talk to her about it? All I know is it was gross to have her make my sandwich while the hairs on her chin blew in the wind!*
    Ok that an example of me putting my foot in my mouth. Whats yours?*
    Share your story with us!*

I hope you have a great day and remember to laugh!*

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

thank you thank you

Hi there,
    it's great to hear i'm not the only one that experiences this. i'm 46 and female and thought it might just be my age. I especially liked the term "brain fart" and will definitely use it next time it happens. thank you very much for your humour, i had a great laugh.

sometimes when i'm reading, what i am reading just won't sink in either, i can read it a few times and am sure that some of it just doesn't get comprehended...lucky we're not neurologists aye

Comment

Slurred speech and can't find words

I've found my slurred speech (on occasion) makes others feel uncomfortable. If this happens, I just don't speak.

Then, there's the finding the right word to use to convey what you are tyring to say...then long pause...then I just admit I can't find the word.

This can't be quite crippling in how you perceive yourself.

I always try to laugh it off; what else is there to do!

Comment

More and more often I find myself bumbling over my words, slurring, and having those fab brain farts you mentioned. I think of it as my "MS mouth". It's worse when Im hot, tired, etc... just like my MS in general I guess.

Most of the time people just look at me like I am developmentally disabled or drunk. Not far from the truth but I wish they knew that I really am a smart and articulate person under this veil of MS!

Comment

For newbie but goodie

Maybe we should get some shirt that say " I am not drunk I have MS"! I have thought if for some reason I was ever pulled over by the police. If they wanted to do some of there test to check if I was drunk. Like walk the line one foot in front of the other. I surely would not pass. So if I am every pulled over for that reason. I am just going to say I have MS so lets jump to the breathalyzer test so I can be on my way! Lol
          Thanks for sharing
          Christine

Comment

I'd buy that shirt!

Comment

When I get this...

Usually I am trying to think of a name of an object. E.G. 'You know those large tweezers' :i. e. tongs
              When I am tired I slur.
              techie
              Another pirated saying:
              Half of life is if.
              When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
              Dogs Rule!

Comment

I talk like I'm drunk. My brain works faster than my mouth and tongue do. I start my day with an exercise my Speech Therapist give me, I say "overaccentuate" and "slow down" until those words are clear and recognizable. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't help.
                I used to be in control of my body. Now the body is in control of me!
                DX RRMS 1997 SX 1995 or earlier
                Breast Cancer 2002 thought the chemo put me into remission. Boy was I wrong!
                DMD Avonex 5/11, Baclofen 60mg 10/2012, Tecfidera 6/19/13

Comment

I have had this Brain Fart Too!

I first started this when I was working about 5 years after being diagnosed. I would be ready to tell my co-worker something and then it would come out. She would just stand and wave me off and say tell me later. I would get frustrated and tell her to wait I had something to say but my speech would be so impaired(slurred) that noone could understand me anyway. LOL! I would make them stand there anyway no matter how long it took me to get out what I had to say. (Sometimes with tears coming out my eyes). After awhile I started laughing at myself and them because they would actualy act as if they knew what I was saying and sometimes I didn't...

Years later I found out I was having mild seizures. Got meds and now I don't have seizures anymore.
                  Enjoy the Sun each day that it Shines!

Comment

It all makes sense!

I have always had trouble with my mouth going slower than my brain and ended up tripping over words. I am glad to know I am not alone. I have "brain farts" all the time and it is so hard at work trying to explain a situation to your boss and totally go blank! Do you find you also use the wrong words in error? Most people will either laugh or say they know what I meant. My family gets a kick out of it and make them laugh all the time to my fumbles! I also have a tough time with pronounciation another one of my families favorite laughs. Do not get me wrong they are very supportive, maybe they all dont really understand MS or want to admit (my husband) that I do have MS but they all are there for me and love me.

Thank you for sharing, I dont feel so alone!

Comment

You've forgotten the fourth one. It is when you want to say something but can't. Not even a noise comes from you. Your lips won't even mouth the words. Your simply unable to speak at all. For me, that's the worse one so far.

Comment

Brain Farts I have plenty of those. I work at a church and I know somedays the pastor thinks I am nuts. I will go to his office many times to tell him the same thing and never remember what I was there for. He is very understanding but I feel so dumb sometimes.

The other day I was running a staff meeting. Do you know how hard it is to get your point across in front of 15 other people when you cannot think of the word you need to use. I usually end up trying to describe the word like give the definition until someone can help me recall what it is. So frustrating.

Comment

For Kalliope

That sounds bad. I haven't experienced that one but would agree it would be the worst!
                          Christine

Comment

For Lisa1014

That sounds tough. I am glad you work with people that are understanding and patient. We have to laugh at times like these so we don't get frustrated. That will only make it worse. So laugh it off!
                            Thanks for sharing your story.
                            Christine

Comment

I have exactly that! My whole family hates it. It takes me for ever to get a simple sentence out.(One of the first times that it happened, I was told by my kids to" spit it out"! LOL[just a funny MS moment])

I also slur, which makes using my voice recognition system fun! NOT!
                              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                              volunteer
                              MS World
                              hunterd@msworld.org
                              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
                              X