Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Else Has Questions About Their Health and Spiritual Journey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Else Has Questions About Their Health and Spiritual Journey?

I know this is a loaded question, yet this is an area I am currently struggling with and have faith you all are willing to tackle it and provide some insight for me. I made a post on my personal blog this morning going into more detail but honestly, I really don't think anyone reads my blog so I have little expectation of any response.

I titled the post, "How Should We Feel About God and Going to Church? Why? Because I really don't know the answer and one thing I've learned in life is not to ask God that proverbial question, "why!"

The challenge comes from questioning the whole "church" thing, the connection with God all mixed with the health circumstances and final outcome. So, where does that put a person anyway? Again, I don't know, but thought you may have some guidance or experiences to share with me.

I know, a deep and possibly controversial question, but it is Sunday after all.
    Craig Mattice~Living Life On My Terms~
    No Excuses No Regrets!

Richmond, VA USA

I've had problems with God for years, especially after my mom died. My dad got mad at me because I wouldn't go up for communion (I was raised Lutheran), and he was embarassed that everyone saw me just sit there and not go up. I told a teacher in college about it. She was from India and a Hindu. I told her that I couldn't go up because I was so angry with God. She laughed and said that I was more "worthy" of taking communion because I actually understood the importance unlike my dad for whom it was a "show."

My anger improved a little, but organized religion just wasn't for me. The MS dx set me off again. There's no known cause, so nothing that I did in my life that I can really blame. For me, I guess, God or the Creator was the only one to blame. I'm really angry that everyone else seems to have gotten what they want--children, a good career, etc, but I got Multiple Sclerosis.

God, if He/She exists, has a LOT of explaining to do.
    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

I was a christian way before I was dx. I have studied under a pastor for over 30 years. Thank you God. I am alone with this illness but I know God is by my side and I would not want it any other way.

What I mean alone is that I have no family. I am alone here on earth, but really not alone.

I don't blame God for this illness. I inherited it through my family.

I can't imagin feeling that anger. I am so sorry. I will pray for you both.

Comment

i do not go to church because it is not fully handicap accessible. But just because I do not go, does not mean that I do not feel as if I have a strong connection. If you see someone on the street, you do not know whether or not they go to church even if they are behaving in the most" Christian like" way. So I don't think it is anyone else's concern. It is all in what you feel and that you are comfortable with. I think that is what matters most.
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Church is within you; it's all within you...

Comment

Ive questioned "god" every since my grandma died. I now call myself spirtual. I have my own relationship with god and don't need a church or a book to tell me how to live.

Since my diagnosis though I've learned to appreciate the little things in life. I consider my diagnosis a wake up call. It brought me and my family closer and tought us to live in the here and now instead of worrying so much about the things we can't really change. We spend more time together now and talk more. Life is to short to be angry in my opinion remember tomorow isn't promised to you.

Comment

Oh I love a good "deep and possibly controversial question" !!

I did not understand Christianity until I was in my 30's. I am not an expert as I am still growing. But I am now a Christian.
              I am no better than anyone else, but I have a relationship with my Savior and Lord that gives me strength and courage and comfort and boundaries that are good.

I know this: God is big enough to take your anger and a big "Why" question.

What he desires most is a relationship with you. I found my relationship really began when I began to seek God. And I found him in the words of scripture and in the love of other Christians.
              Christians are not perfect, some people think they are Christians and are just going through the motions for whatever reasons.
              Some days I am not a shining example, more like a horrible warning !!

I do not blame God for my MS ~ we live in a fallen world in which man has made many changes to our environment and lifesyle.
              I don't know why I have MS.
              I do know that having MS has challenged me and blessed me.
              I don't know what my MS will look like tomorrow or years from now.
              All I can do is live each day as it comes.
              I can only control my attitude. I choose to count the good things in my life, do the best I can with not so good things.
              Some days I accomplish that goal, somedays I have the proverbial pity party and have to get back on track when I am able.
              But God is with me every moment and I have felt his strong hand holding me on the worst days. I know he is real.

The question of church ~~~~~~ well, you will have to answer that one yourself.
              Sometimes we get out of something as much as we put into it. I love nothing better than the quietness of church before the service starts. I love learning about other members and sharing in their life stories. Community is good.

And there are some people I just have to accept that I have to put up boundaries with for my own health and sanity.

If that sounds Un-Christian, well, I said I wasn't perfect~~Still learning~~and still very human. Don't put "Christians" in a box~~~we come in all sorts of personalities !
              The final outcome ? Well,none of us on this earth are going to get out alive ~ MS makes it a bit more difficult ( Hey, humor is a good friend~~even if mine is a little strange)

For me, heaven will be a place with God facing me.
              Hell would be a place where God has his back turned to me.
              It is the relationship, saved by grace through Christ.

Any day is a good day for "a deep and possibly controversial question"

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,

Golfwidow

Comment

It's my faith that gets me through bad days..

I think on Luke 13:4, where Jesus is addressing the tower of Siloam that fell and killed 18 people. He is asking if the people believed the 18 were the worst sinners in all Jerusalem. Christ answered "No".

We live in a world wrought with problems and imperfections and stuff happens, to both the good and the bad.

I also think upon Paul who was filled with faith. Yet even with his faith and prayer, God didn't heal him. God told Paul His grace was sufficient.

I've had other Christians try to put a guilt trip on me because I'm ill, like I did something to deserve it. I say "poppycock!". They reminded me of Job's friends. Job was a righteous man, yet he lost almost everything..and there were his friends telling him he must have sinned. For 38 chapters they went on and on...

Actually, me having great faith in the midst of this disease is a huge testimony...much more so than someone who has everything going well.

It's easy to show your faith when you have it "all", but it means more to others, that even while facing adversity, your faith is still strong.

And, in the end, even if God did decide to heal me, it's only temporary, for we all eventually die. So for me, I don't focus too much on the flesh. The spiritual side of us is more real and eternal... at least that's how I see it.

Comment

I became closer to God after my dx. Life would be to unbearable without Him. I do have some lonely days and start my pity party but His word helps me get through.

I go to Church, pray everyday and I know He is walking with me through this journey.

May God Bless You.
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

Lillyheart,

I love what you wrote. Thank you.

The only thing I forgot to memtion is that I study my bible doctine from MP3 disks that I order from my pastor, who is in Texas. He has these tapes made during the sunday church session and weekly bible doctrine teaching. I don't go to church. If I lived in Houston, Texas, I would be there.

As someone else said, you don't have to go to church to get that spirtual strength.

Comment

I like jayjee's "Church is within you; it's all within you..."
                      Short, direct, and simple.

I have personally seen far too much politics and corruption (& some show) within organized religion, even from the pulpit. Like many things in society its a mixed bag of good and not so good.

What is important is a person's personal relationship with God, not a label, nor appearances, both are too often deceiving.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I don't have questions about my health and spiritual journey. God and Church is a different topic, and I don't really have questions about that, either.

I believe that God and Church -- organized religion -- are two entirely different things. Organized religion isn't even about God. It's something humans invented to give themselves some kind of purpose, be it good or bad. Humans build churches and commune to fulfill a human need, not a spiritual one. Spirituality is internal and needs no earthy trappings. And humans have anthropomorphized God so they have someone to thank or blame (e.g., for bad health).

If God cared about religion, I think s/he would have destroyed the entire human race already for our stupidity in making up religions, justifying bizarre actions and killing each other because of it.

My God is better than your God! My church is better than your church! That isn't God, and religion isn't spirituality. If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.

Comment

Right, explain to me why my totally honest question about how people might feel if someone literally laid hands on them for faith healing purposes without actually being asked, was rejected.

I am religious enough, no atheists in foxholes etc.

Religion is obviously not off the agenda.

Comment

I am not a Christian, though I find I act more Christian than some I know!

Anyway, let me say this: Don't forget that the Spirit has great faith in YOU. You can do this, no matter how hard it is. Or you would not have chosen ms.

Comment

My Febble Attempt to Address Your Responses

I'm glad to see no one held back, but rather presented some excellent points providing different perspectives for me to consider via my poorly worded and possibly confusing question.

golfwido: WOW! Now this will take time to absorb as your response is full of first hand insights from new perspectives while keeping everything proportional ... if that makes sense?

Lillyheart: Very heartfelt response and personal understanding.

REG53: Reg, that's about as clear and concise a response of what works for you I have seen.

gomer: You second sentence has become my observation within the "institutions" of religion all too often.

Redwings: Reading your comments I find them spot on. I apologize for combining and thus confusing "Going to Church," and a "Relationship with God," as it relates to our heal circumstances. My fault!

Thinkimjob: I must apologize as I do not understand your response. It must be much deeper than I am comprehending.

AnneLouise: You make a very good and valid point. I once read a quote: "I believe Jesus is wonderful. It's the Christians I don't like." Paraphrased the best I can but attributed to the Dali Lama.
                              Craig Mattice~Living Life On My Terms~
                              No Excuses No Regrets!

Richmond, VA USA

Comment

Working...
                              X