Can foot drop ever go away??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footdrop not going away

Foot drop as a result of having MS is not going to go away. It is a result of nerve damage so that the electrical signal is not getting to all the muscles in your foot. I had an AFO prescribed shortly after I began to stub my toe's on my left leg. It helped me walk with less effort and safer for several years and eventually I lost the ability to walk at all.

Comment

My foot drop gets better or worse depending on how I'm doing with my MS. When I get warm/hot, even from physical activity, I get very weak on my left side and I limp badly and my foot drop is worse. I really have to be careful on stairs and use the hand rail as my left toes just drag going up the stairs. On a good day, when I feel good and am not overheated, I can move around much easier, especially on stairs.

I'm going through a flair now after a recent MRI showed an active lesion on my spine. My left side is weak and the foot drop is once again showing up even though it has been cool. I'm hoping the Solu-Medrol I getting now knocks this flair down for a while.

Comment

I have to go to the Electromyography Clinic on Feb 19 due to foot drop that came out of the blue last Sept (yes, it actually takes that long to get an appt here).

Did anyone else have to do this? It sounds painful.
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Misinformation?

Originally posted by thelegendlc View Post
          Foot drop as a result of having MS is not going to go away. It is a result of nerve damage so that the electrical signal is not getting to all the muscles in your foot. I had an AFO prescribed shortly after I began to stub my toe's on my left leg. It helped me walk with less effort and safer for several years and eventually I lost the ability to walk at all.
          In RRMS, any sx of MS can go away. The nerves can and do repair themselves, hence the relapsing-remitting aspect of MS. People have had complete paralysis of parts of their bodies caused by nerve damage and loss of signal, and have regained use of their affected limb. People have had complete blindness due to ON from the nerve damage, and have regained their sight.

Just because your foot drop did not go away, doesn't mean that everyone will be affected the same as you. Perhaps your body was not able to repair the specific nerve damage. Regardless of whether foot drop is caused by MS or any other nerve damage, it is still foot drop, and is still caused by the loss of the signal from the brain to the muscles, and can go away.

On this public forum, IMO, it is very important that each person posting, whether asking for answers or providing answers, remains 100% aware that this disease is never the same in any one individual.
          20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

Mine would come and go, depending on how tired I was. I haven't had it since starting Ampyra a year ago.
            "'Who are YOU?' said the Caterpillar. Alice replied, rather shyly, `I--I hardly know, sir, just at present--at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'" Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Comment

I don't know what effects it (severity, length of time etc) however, I had foot drop in my left foot, after a hospitalization and was sent to P.T., given stretches & exercises. I did those 2 things religiously when I returned home. I no longer have foot drop, unlessI am tired or ver sick.

Not sure if this helped to answer any questions regarding foot-drop, but hope it helped.
              Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I have noticed it a few times in the last year. I noticed it just week before Christmas when shopping at Meijer. Last summer I also had it for awhile. I think it can go away.

Comment

Working...
                X