Can foot drop ever go away??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can foot drop ever go away??

Just wondering as I've had it almost 2 yrs now.... Thanks.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

I would think not, I've had it for 10 yrs before dx and it hasn't gotten any better rather the opposite, me thinks it is permanent damage to the nerves and unless they find a cure I think we have what have. There are ways to help overcome it some, AFO, walk aide/ bioness but they don't eliminate it entirely.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Interesting ?, as I have it too. I just figure it comes along as a added BONUS along with my weak leg. Not sure- but I'm thinking that as long as I have the lesion on my spine, I will have the foot drop too.

Until they can reverse the damaged mylin, it might be with us for????? too long???!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just saw my neuro 2 weeks ago, wish I could have asked him this then.

Comment

Hi jbell2435,

I suspect that it doesn't improve. It was my first sx (around '97). However....

the damage seems to have plateaued over the last few years. I'm trying to be objective about this.... assuming the damage area of the CNS healed or is not under constant attack lately.

Other parts of me are not quite as lucky!

Jer

Comment

Thanks everyone! When I first got it, and the weak leg I read that most foot drop is temporary unless there was damage from a stroke, so my ortho doc thought it would go away in a year or so. Thus started my journey to discover my dx...

I was curious if anyone had been so lucky as to see it go away...waiting on my AFO now.
          Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
          Ampyra 10mg 2xday
          Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

A positive note

It depends if there is any feeling in the foot or ankle. It is easier to prevent it than to cure it. See if your Dr. can prescribe Rehab for you.

I am an ex-RN and we had a wooden device we would put on the foot of the bed. Part would fit about two foot under the mattress and then about two feet would extend straight up. Most patients would throw a heavy towel over the vertical part to pad it.

If you have a carpenter freind all you need is two boards and two right angles to make the right angle. That is basically all it is.

We would scoot the patient down with their feet against it. During the night they would push against it and it would prevent or assist with the foot-drop. You also can get them at medical supply stores called foot drop boards. They are pretty expensive though for all they are.

I don't know if it will help after years but they were required anytime a patient was admitted to prevent foot drop. Perhaps the board and rehab might help.

I hope this offers some help. I have spen hours massaging and stretching to undo this kind of disaster. My prayers are with you.
            Dave
            J: Tampa, Florida

Comment

OH! me to

I,ve got foot drop, but i call it a pain the arse,i,ve found it depressing i use walk around cities [on holidays] and i could walk for miles around a city, i miss it now as i have to look where i,m walking all the time and not at nice buildings etc,i trip a fair amount ,i cracked a rib once when i fell down,i work in an auction so i have to be carefull there i dont want to drop ping vase as it wont go doin g [cant spell a dropping object sound]i thought of meeting a female ms sufferer and i could push her around and hold on to the wheelchair if i trip,and she would be able to get out and about with me,still i hope to win the euro lottery and have my own private doctor lol
              i dont understand i cant write on screen

Comment

I don't know what this is..

This is the first time I have ever heard of foot drop and I'm not sure I fully understand it, but the last two mornings I have woken up with the inability to put any weight on my right foot. Throughout the day at work it starts to get better enough for me to hobble around but still hurts quite a bit. I'm gonna call my neuro today to see what he thinks!

Comment

My foot drop is just as the name calls it, when I take a step with my left leg, instead of the muscles holding my toe up when the leg is moved, the front of my foot actually falls down( or just stays as it is depending on your interpretation) causing my left toe to drag on the ground when moved forward, it causes all of my left shoes to have worn out soles and toes on the front. It also gives you the wonderful ability to trip on a perfectly smooth and even floor. The trick is to learn how to do it gracefully and not break anything.
                  Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by DJsMommy0823 View Post
                    This is the first time I have ever heard of foot drop and I'm not sure I fully understand it, but the last two mornings I have woken up with the inability to put any weight on my right foot. Throughout the day at work it starts to get better enough for me to hobble around but still hurts quite a bit. I'm gonna call my neuro today to see what he thinks!
                    I don't know anything about foot drop, but that sounds a lot like plantar fasciitus, which I've had.

You should ask a foot doc, but the 'treatment' is usually a couple of kinds of stretches and making sure your arches are supported.

Good luck,
                    Mark
                    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I had some foot drop after a major relapse that left my right side paralysed, 13 years ago. The paralysis slowly resolved but left me weaker on the right side. The foot-drop for about 2 years after the relapse. Sometimes it got a lot worse; it could temporarily worsen for a day or two, but it was always there to some extent for those two years.
                      It has nearly completely gone now for the last 11 years.

I went to a physio in the years when the foot drop was there, and I followed exercises to help the muscles a bit. If the function had not come back I don't think the exercises would have helped. If I hadn't done the exercises though, I think my foot might have got weaker through lack of use.

Comment

I have had food drop since I was a kid. So, in my case...no foot drop has not gone away.
                        Diagnosed 1984
                        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Although I am in Limbo Land as far as MS is concerned, I was diagnosed about 20 years ago with Foot drop, (and it was certainly foot drop). I believe this was my first "Major" sx of MS, after having had episodes of numbness and tingling prior.

My foot drop lasted about 6-8 months and then completely resolved. It was like... you get so used to it, that one day you just realize that there was just no slapping noise like before when you walk, then you try and stand and lift your toes up of the floor and it works a little bit, then after a bit, you can lift your whole foot up towards your shin with your heel still on the ground.

So, yes, foot drop can go away, but it is caused by nerve damage, and we know that it can take a very long time for nerves to heal sufficiently to regain near normal use.

I had other nerve damage in my upper thigh that lasted over two years, but with an obvious improvement in the last months.

I suppose it depends on how much damage has been done whether the sx will ever go away or remain forever.

I hope yours goes away. Good luck!
                          20+ years of sx - no dx yet - getting close!

Comment

Foot drop can be caused by weak hip muscles or weak calf muscles. The latter can be treated by an AFO or toe-off device. I have one that is electrical stimulated and works a bit on the hip and a lot on the calf muscles. Whenever you step it sends a signal to those muscles to move and the toes are pulled up and in so that you do not trip or scrape your foot on the ground.

I have had foot drop for a few years, it gets better a little when my MS is better, and worse when it is worse, but it never goes away.

Good luck you guys and try an AFO from a physical therapist.

Lisa
                            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                            Tysabri

Comment

I suppose anything can get better, depending on how long you've had it. There are other considerations. If you have some strength, there are exercises a PT can show you.

Also, foot drop is one of the single most treatable disabilities. It's also caused by many other diseases. There are devices as simple as straps that pull your feet up, to devices which stimulate the muscles.

In any case, it's definitely something that your doctor can do something about.

Comment

Working...
                              X