No announcement yet.

Weather change/ reaction to cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in NY and definitely am having issues with temperature extremes, so much so that I have sold my house and am moving south. This coming from someone that has not wore pants, unless forced, for years.

Heat = <70 fatigue from hell and muscle spasms/convulsions also seems to make cognitive function worse.

Cold = >70 degrees and I have an insulated flannel shirt(used to be my winter jacket), T-shirt, and jeans on. All over aches, terrible mood swings, more difficulty walking. Cold is just bad, bad, bad I will have to enjoy snow on TV and not in my shorts and muscle shirt.

I never understood what people meant about being "chilled to the bone" now I am fully aware and want to go back to not being cold even while snow blowing my driveway in shorts with temps below zero.

If only I could live in a 70 degree bubble

Comment

Temperatures affect symptoms

Today is the 1st rainy day in 8-9 days, so I am in considerable pain. Like many others, heat can be terrible too. It's good just to vent. I am a long-timer (dx '92) and have learned that my "internal thermostat" quit functioning yrs ago.
      On a brighter note, I am indoors, on computer where I can share, and am blessed beyond measure in so many ways! Hope you all find the good things that help you hang in!!

Comment

I'm in NJ too. With the cooler weather I find I'm stiff and sore, especially in the morning. When I first get up, it's like being an old car; need some time to warm up. it gets a bit better as the day progresses.

Heat really kicks my butt.
        DX 3-2010

You can't change the cards you're dealt, only the way you play the hand.

Comment

I'm intolerant to both.

Heat will wear me down. I feel just miserable. Sometimes, I think I will pass out.

Cold will stiffen my muscles and cause more pain. It seems that I just cannot get warm enough. I'll have the heat on, layers of clothing and a blanket!

It's good to know I'm not the only one.
          And, yes, 70 degree weather, all year round, would be lovely.

Comment

Wow, I can't believe it's already cold in some places.

I get trouble when the weather changes either direction. Fall and spring my allergies act up, and I think they kick off the MS problems too. I usually have worse flares when the weather is changing from hot to cold or cold to hot. Once it gets there and stays there, things calm down for me. Except if I go out on a hot day and wear myself out.
            Proud Mom of three kids!
            dx'd 1996

Comment

I think cold affects me slower, but worse over long periods, but heat affects me quicker and not as severe if that makes sense.

The cold makes me so achey down to my bones and causes me to become incredibly stiff.
              Heat makes me very irritable and feels like little shocks all over.
              "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power
              is made perfect in weakness." -2 Cor. 12:9

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

I am both heat and cold intolerant. The heat makes me feel like I was run over by a truck and the cold makes my body feel like all the joints are freezing up and it just hurts to bend any of them

Comment

Problems with both

I have problems with both the heat and the cold. For me the heat just drains me and I don't feel like I can fuction.

The cold leaves me stiff, achy, and in general in more pain overall.

Comment

Oh, I wish I knew what it was like to be cold. It's 100 degrees here now.

Where can I move that it never gets hot?

Comment

Palmtree, you live in LA? I used to live in LA and have never been sicker in my life. Don't you find the smog to have a terrible effect on your MS? I moved from LA to Dallas which was a little better because Dallas is flat and the smog blows off when it gets windy. And now I live in the Oklahoma City area, where also the smog blows off, and in Oklahoma it is windy more often. Worse for tree and pollen allergies, but better for smog.

If I could live anywhere I would love to live in San Luis Obispo or Morro Bay. I love the smell of the ocean. And I think I read somewhere that it is pretty much 75 degrees there year round. That might not be right, but doesn't it sound great?
                      Proud Mom of three kids!
                      dx'd 1996

Comment

Sense of Taste and/ or Smell

Both my sense of taste and smell have been effected, anyone else experience that. My sense of smell has been heightened, both good and bad can be intolerable. I have always like to smell pretty and I enjoy nice shampoo, lotion, perfume etc now it is all put away in the closet.

Food actually tastes different, I have noticed the biggest change in proteins. People around me have noticed that I have changed what I eat. Thank goodness uce cream still tastes great!
                        M.
                        A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks, Hawkgirl. I like the idea of San Louis Obispo. It never occurred to me because it used to be so far from civilization. When I was a little girl, we used to go clamming there. The water was so cold, we would be numb the rest of the day.

It's been years since I've been there and I'm sure it has changed. More shopping centers and trendy restaurants.

It's good because it's still only a few hours drive back to home central.

Comment

I posted a question about Fibromyalgia the other day b/c my joints have been hurting so bad. Never even occured to me that it might be the cold weather. Duh! I have noticed that it's harder to get moving after I've been sitting or lying down for a while. Of course, my MS doc has always told me that MS doesn't cause joint pain, so I never thought it would be related.

Thanks for asking this question. It's cleared up a lot of mystery pain for me.

I'm both heat and cold intollerant. Makes my husband "wife intollerant" sometimes.

Comment

I'm not looking forward to winter. I have a tendency to get shocks in my face and arm.

No, sir. I don't like it.
                              [insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

Working...
                              X