Weather change/ reaction to cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather change/ reaction to cold

With the weather changing here in nj and it getting pretty cold at night I'm noticing numbness in my hands and feet. Does anyone react to the cold? I know the heat is a problem for most.

Hello wookieland,

Yes, cold bothers me. I usually deal with more stiffness and pain. I am finding this starts happening even when the temp. is in the mid 50s.

With MS you can be heat intolerant, cold intolerant or both. I am both.

I am sorry the cooler temps are causing numbness
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

ditto

I too experience problems with both.

Heat slows me down or gives me a brick wall to go against in the extreme.

Cold increases my nerve pain and I have increase joint pain and stiffness from my severe artritis.

Wouldn't be nice if iit was 70F year round? It would make my body happy.

Sorry for your problems. Keep coming here for support and talk to your neuro about it. Explore complimentary treatments such as masage, pool therapy, exercise, yoga, guided imagry. There is far more then those, but that is something easy to begin with.

Mary
      God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Hi Wookieland,

I react to the cold, spasticity & stiffness, also something my mother had called "poor circulation"... finger tips or toes can get ice cold... not numb. Sometimes one hand or foot, not both....!

Mom was MS free, so I don't know if this is MS related or not.

I'm not effected by heat... so far.

Jer

Comment

hey, where Jersey do you live??

I'm in Pa now and I definately see a differance w/ colder weather coming I get cold extremeties too but I still wear my Berks 365! I just wear socks in the colder times! 2pair if there's snow I wash dishes more in the winter too! Drink green tea all day long

jersey-in-pa

Comment

I am having a difficult time with the cold also. My body just doesn't want to move very well at all, and I thought I felt bad when it was extremely hot out. I would take the heat over the cold any day.
            DX 10/26/11

Comment

I have Raynauds which occurs with other autoimmune diseases. Keep your feet warm.

I also have autonomic neuropathy. All these things happen with MS but many are not diagnosed properly. The cold affects me, esp my feet. At times, they are like ice and cramp up. It is all part of the autoimmune. You just have to keep warm and out of pain.

Comment

I have allot of pain with the cold and joints get more painful too,, I get ired in the heat, but function OK. The cold will cause extreme pain and I seem to feel cold inside my body, nothing keeps me warm except my sunggie ;-)
                It will be months before I have to worry about that though down here in San Antonio
                Pets aka Laurie

Comment

Hi Wookieland,

I feel terrible with both heat and cold. The heat causes extreme fatigue and the cold causes pain and stiffness. I cannot move in the cold. I try to dress in layers to keep warm but it still slows me down. I'm here in PA. and can definitely feel the change in temp.

Take good care!
                  "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
                  Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

Only problem I have in the cooler weather is keeping warm, its 65 today and I am sitting in the house with a flannel shirt, long sleeve T shirt and a sweatshirt on and I am freezing.
                    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I have problems with both the heat and the cold. Enough that even with the a/c on in the summer, I keep a fan blowing on me. In the winter, even with the heat on, even wearing a sweatshirt, I wear a cardigan or velour jacket to keep me warm
                      Diagnosis: May, 2008
                      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

cold weather

I was diagnosed with MS in 2000, my only symptom is foot drag. So, not too bad (no running or fast walking), and never any pain. My foot drag is all the time, the most severe if very cold weather (under 30 degrees), or if I am sick. At that point, my feet do not want to lift at all, need to crawl or move very slowly. Also impacted by heat, but cold is much worse.

My symptoms seem to be very mild compared to others and different - I hope this is helpful.

Best of luck to you!!

Comment

I have a problem with hot and cold too... Not sure which is worse?

Comment

I don't have heat issues, but I did notice a difference with any temps <20 degrees. Here in Montana cold temps are a real issue in the winter, and last winter it was six months of cold! I asked my neurologist about this, and she said that MS'ers in Montana definitely have issues with cold, although you won't find much research on this issue.

Comment

Heat and cold impact my MS sx's too. I think I'm also experiencing blood pressure problems related to being over heated. I get dizzy and light headed like I'm going to pass out and it is happening with greater frequency.

Overheating can happen mid-winter, teeth chattering cold and becoming overheated from layers of clothing, both temperature disregulation at the same time.

Also going from warm temperatures in the house and stepping outside into cold winter temperatures has caused a kind of convulsion type reaction, not as routine as the BP thing.

Curious if anyone else has the BP sx's or the convulsion kind of reaction.

Comment

Working...
                              X