E-Reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Reader

Any information or experience with e-readers would be appreciated.

I have not sat and enjoyed a lazy afternoon, or evening of reading in many years. Even though I have Rx bi-focals (just got new pair a month ago) I still find myself picking up the magnification lenses to push-n-pull it to and from so that I can adjust to where I can read many printed items. Magazines and Newspapers are difficult for me.

I am considering an e-reader, but hope to gain some info here before making that choice.
    Medicated for Your Protection

There's a thread over inThe BookNook that might help you.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104653

I do audiobooks myself (see my comment on that thread) so I can't speak for e-readers. I do know a few people who love their Kindles. The text does enlarge quite a bit, I'm told. It means more scrolling, but if you can read it, who cares?

Comment

For a little more than the price of an e-book you can get an LCD tv. One the newer national brands has a D type connector on the back for PC use. I've got an LCD tv with a 23" X 14" viewing area I use for both TV and this stuff.
      Its not exactly what you're asking for but its made life with bifocals a lot easier.

Comment

I have a Kindle, and really love it. It's easier to hold and turn pages than a paper book. You can change the font size.
        No more stacks of books all over the house.

If you're reading magazines, I understand that the larger Kindle DX works better for periodicals.

I keep reading glasses for reading. My progressive bifocals just don't seem to have a large enough "reading" area.

Comment

I have a Kindle DX( the big one ) I have the font up to the next to the last largest. I love it. Takes stress and strain off my eyes. I love to read and went through a period of time not reading because the words were blurry. Now the font is so big I can read even if it is a little blurry.
          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Page turning?

On a Kindle, is there a button used to turn pages?

Please explain how this works

Peace,Babs

Comment

Originally posted by dbsou View Post
              Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
              Love the signature.
              Medicated for Your Protection

Comment

Yes there is a button on the frame of the Kindle.One for next page and and one for previous page. It has text to speech capabilities also.

Comment

I have a Nook from Barnes & Noble and love it! You can change the font size and the font type. It also has a next page button and back page button on both the right and left side of the device. So you are covered no matter if you are right-handed or left-handed. You can get books, newspapers, and magazines, and it can hold 1,500 items. You can also buy more memory so it will hold more items if you want. I also really like that B&N offers some free ebooks every week including the classics. For example, I have all of Jane Austen's books and I didn't have to pay anything for them. I just make sure I check their website every week for the new free stuff.

Comment

I wanted the DH to get a Kindle, but he got a Nook. He really seems to like it. One of the advantages of the Nook is that it has more flexibility in the files it reads. DH can get epub books from the library for free as well as many of the other free books that are offered by different companies. While you can read these files on Kindle, you must use a separate program to convert the files and sometimes the quality is reduced.

I liked the Kindle DX because of the larger screen, meaning less page turning when DH's ON comes on again. It also has the text to speech feature, but from my working with them in the school system, they are pretty archaic - making them difficult to enjoy while listening to.

DH enjoys his Nook. The freer use of book formats was the biggest selling point for him. For those who have ereaders, they pretty much like what they have - they have not been around that long for most users to have extensively tried both to form an opinion.
                    DH - RRMS (DX 9/10/10), GERD, Asthma
                    Me - RA, Sjogren's, Joint replacement queen
                    DS - T1 Diabetes, Seizures, Asthma

Comment

I JUST POSTED A LINK FOR AN EREADER FOR PC FOR FREE FROM BARNES AND NOBLE...

Comment

Differentiate please!

I'm so confused!

LOL... what's the difference between all of the non-book
                        electronic readers???

When you say it has'voice capability'... does that mean I can tell it when to flip pages... or is that asking too much

greatly appreciate your feedback

peace, Babs (one thing MS hasn't taken away is my imagination)

Comment

With my Kindle, "voice capability" means that it will read to you, like an audio book. Not all books are voice capable. I haven't tried it, so I don't know what the voice sounds like.

The Kindle scrolls the text as the voice reads. You can make it hands-free by turning on the voice, and speeding up or slowing down the voice until you get the scrolling to be the speed that you read.

Comment

Working...
                          X