e-readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e-readers

i love to read, but must use large print, or a magnifier. does anyone have an e-reader and if so, how do you like it? or how do you cope with reading, if you have eyestrain easily?

i recently got a nook, but found the contrast was not sufficient to prevent eye strain and the largest font was not large enough for comfort. so i returned it. still waiting for my refund.

any comments from anyone? thanks! mary
    If i can walk and talk, and see and pee, i'm having a great day!

Hi, I've just recently started using audio books on cd. That way I can read my books with no eye strain or trouble turning pages. Usually the library has some or you can get them on line used for a lesser price than new.
    Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

kindle

I got the Kindle last year and love it! There's no glare on the screen and you can increase the size of the print. Plus , you can a lot of books for free and it only takes a minute to get them.

Comment

I have an iPad and in iBooks there are hundreds of books you can download for free. The iPad let's you increase the screen view by just pulling your fingers apart while touching the screen. Glare can be a problem if you're seated near a window.

Comment

Thank you for posting...i'm thinking of getting an ipad, waiting for prices to come down or competition to go up, did look at your site and I am green with envy at what's available. Here is a link to site if anyone else wants to look at it.

http://www.ebooks.com/

I'm also thinking about audio books, not sure I would like them? Here is a link I found to that one, not free but lower cost. Some free if membership taken..selection not as good--i haven't tried that one either. I recently found I do better with large print books -and I'm considering how to expend that, after not reading for almost 6 years because normal print tired me too much---large print, ipad, audio books? Its fun to be back to reading!

http://www.audible.com/t1/30dgft_plu...DB5969WS082809
          xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

For those visually impaired or physically unable to handle a book ( turn pages, hold the book up,etc. MS is recognized as causing conditions that would qualify) there's the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) at http://www.loc.gov/nls/

They will provide large print books, audio books on cassette or in a digital format and the various equipment needed, all free on an extended loan. Books are loaned out for 3 months and the equipment is on loan until the person no longer wants it. All materials come with a postage free return envelope, so it doesn't cost a dime to return them either. All it takes is an application and a signature of a recognized authority (doctor, RN, optometrist, therapist or even a professional librarian in some cases)

The library that services my area provides equipment like pillow speakers, remote controls or breath controls for those that need them. We also can have the local news streamed via the internet or the newspapers and some magazines read to us on a touch tone phone.

They don't have e-readers, but this is a good option for those that need it.

Comment

I have a Kindle, and LOVE it. I don't have a vision problem, but had begun to have problems holding a book open for long periods of time, and turning pages. The Kindle is really comfortable to hold and use. The contrast was fine for me.

I really like having the ability to change the font size.

The new version (Kindle3) is less expensive and is supposed to have 50% better contrast, plus a built-in book light. The screen is not back-lighted like a computer, so you can read outside in the sun.

Comment

Turning the page...

When using a Kindle, is there a button to press which turns the page?

This is something I have trouble doing... I'm hoping a Kindle will give me the best solution!

appreciate any input

peace,Babs

Comment

?

XOXbumpXOX

Comment

Yes, you turn pages on the Kindle by pushing a button. There is one on each side, about where your thumbs are if you're holding it in both hands. The button is about 2" long.

If you look at the close up photos of the Kindle on Amazon, you can see it.

I assume other e-readers probably have this, too. (?)

My hands are stiff and slow, and it's hard to get hold of an individual page in a paper book and turn it. The Kindle makes it LOTS easier.

Comment

sad that the nook didn't work for you. i love mine!
                      the size is great, can hold with one hand and for now the font and size change is large enough to read easily.
                      hope you find one that works for you!
                      it sure beats getting hit in the face by a large hardback book when you fall asleep reading!
                      happy reading!
                      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I did it!! I ordered a Kindle 3 (WiFi) a few days ago! I'm so excited. It should be here Friday. I can't wait to get it and try it out.

I also just bought an e-Reader, The Book, from a student of mine for my son's birthday. She'd only had it a few weeks. (She got it for her birthday, but wanted an iPad instead.) I hope it will work for him. It's in color and you can play videos on it too. Should be interesting.
                        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

thank you all so much for your input. i've decided on a Kindle, just waiting to see if there are any price cuts before christmas, but seriously doubt there will be.

re: audio books - yes, that's a great program and if i have to, i'll use it someday. right now, i'm so 'visual' i'd rather read the words than listen to them. but glad you put the info. on here.

thanks again, mary
                          If i can walk and talk, and see and pee, i'm having a great day!

Comment

The Nook Rocks

I just got a Nook (early Christmas gift) from my life partner. I love it, it's just what I needed. I don't find and clarity or glare issues at all. Sorry you had trouble and hope you get your refund. My partner is now calling me herself a "nook widow", I'm reading all the time.

Comment

Sharing E-books

Hi,

I was wondering if you can share your e-books with others? I am debating about the Kindle?

Thanks
                              Ressa

Comment

Working...
                              X