Scooter vs. power chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really m glad u found something that benefits U

I really m glad u found something that benefits u. I am on my first week of "mysmartchairDOTcom." I know I have posted already, but I have gone through all the other items, standing cane, walkers, manual wheelchair. And I m now ready for my 1st electric wheelchair. My husband doesn't like it, but I do. He said I m going to 'scratch the chair and the car.' The last thing I m worried about now r scratches. I like my chair, and m going to go again tomorrow. I used to have an hour a day, when I could b active. Now I have a half hour. But with my chair, it gives me endorphins to get going

Comment

I did buy a $20 cushion to use with 'mysmartchair'

I worried ahead of time that the cushion would move. I have enough weight that it stays firm and doesn't move. But if it did move, I c where they have cushions with bands to keep them in place.

Comment

I used mysmartchair today

I visit my friend to pray. I used my smartchair today. I know Jesus helped me. Everything went fine. I didn't hit anything/anyone. Everything loaded fine. It wasn't too heavy. I know I "used to be very athletic." I have my back seat removed out of my car. I have a used blanket down there so I can just lean it in and push it over.

It went well, I must have engaged some endorphins because I now have enough energy to make myself some rice for my tostado for lunch. See ya : )

Comment

used my smartchair again today

Hey I shopped and got nineteen dollars worth of groceries at the grocery store. I just want to say, that I don't have much of my brain left that is functioning, but I didn't have any trouble. I got my chair functioning and put back away. Now I'm planning my Friday 'to do' list. I don't know why, but it helps me want to go place, even more than my manual wheelchair.

And I even know that if/when I have any trouble, I can disable the auto wheels, and push the chair like a stroller, or sit down and have someone else push me, like a manual chair. So one way or another, I'll be able to return home.

Comment

Hi Marie12,

Good to hear you like your Smartchair! I never even heard of it until now, so thanks for sharing. Did you self pay for it?

When I was reading info about it, I saw the Foldawheel by Wheelchair88. It's a little lighter, looks similar, plus has the option of buying an extra battery so you can go close to 20 miles without needing to recharge the battery. From what I read, the Smartchair isn't the original, the Foldawheel is. There was also a video clip on the Foldaway website showing the chair in use, on grass, over a large speedbump, and up & down public ramps. So, it does have some power!

These look like great options, as long as you don't need to sit in it for extended periods every day. I didn't read anything about service, if it's used a lot you would eventually need new tires (the treads will wear out -assuming there is some type of tread - doesn't matter then how much oomph the motor has if you are trying to go uphill! I experienced this with a powerchair rental when we were on vacation ...)

I hope you get lots of use out of your new Smartchair! Happy trails to you

(Oh, and as for scratching the car ... scratches can always be buffed out. It's much better you have some independence back, IMO!)

Best wishes,
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank U Kimba22

Thank U Kimba22. Yes, I just paid for it. I'm sure my insurance would have paid for it. I've read the rules, and as I'm progressing, I'll apply for a comfy one for the house. Yes, I'm still particular, no shoes in the house, etc. So, I guess if no shoes are allowed, no wheels. I had previously had my "used $75 manual wheelchair" for the house, and my new Walgreens $100 manual wheelchair for the trunk of the car.

I did read that upper body exercise is more beneficial than lower, so without moving my manual chair wheels for the upper body exercise, I'll have to find a different exercise. Our house isn't huge, but I did realize that using my manual chair in the house, is more work than pushing my button on my electric chair.

Thank you for the info and prices on the other chairs. That really helps many. I know I've always read a lot, but never previously looked into electric wheelchairs, due to their prices. I am really glad that there are more that others may access.

Comment

Working...
              X