Scooter vs. power chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scooter vs. power chair

Hi folks - I hope you are all having a wonderful evening!

I have a question I would like to pose to the group... I am considering getting a scooter for things like shopping at the mall or flea market and such. I can't quite figure out what would be the best way to go. I can still walk ( I have foot drop) but I get so tired and my legs hurt so badly I would like to find something to make it easier for me.

So my qyestion is this - If you have a scooter what kind do you have and do you like it? I don't think I am ready for a power chair but want to try and make an "informed" decision.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts!
    Falling down is easy... getting up not so much

Hi Grace,

A scooter would be a better choice, since they can be broken down and easily stored in vehicles. That's not an option with power chairs.

There are many different ones, hopefully, several people will share what they like/ dislike about them.

If possible, I'd recommend going to a wheelchair clinic. (The ones I've been to were at hospitals.) An OT or PT will evaluate you there and make recommendations. They'll also take measurements of you, which is important so you'll be comfortable in your new wheels. They will write a letter of authorization, which is important if you wish your insurance to pay for it.

Good luck!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks Kimba! My thoughts exactly on being able to break it down!

Comment

Hi Grace,

I have similar mobility issues. My husband purchased a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Plus Scooter for me. I tried it out first to get the feel of it. Initially, I was against it. I said I would just use my rollator and cane and try and get by. But, we like to travel and cruise, and the cruise ships are very hard to get around with mobility problems. I can walk a little, but not far without stopping. Long story short, the first 15 minutes I used it, I loved it. Anyway, if you are considering a scooter, just try it out first. It's great too, because it comes apart and fits into the car. We keep the scooter in the car, and bring the battery into the house for charging. Good luck with your choice.

Comment

Thank you Melody that is exactly what I wanted to hear!

I use the electric carts at WalMart and such so I kinda thought
          that would be the best way to go and when we travel we typically
          use rental cars so not having something that would go in the trunk
          would pose a problem!

Thank you for your thoughts!

Comment

scooters in the trunk

Hi Everyone,

I am very excited to hear that you are happy with the scooter. I have been considering one for a while. I do have a rollator which is great but not for longer distances. Is the scooter not too difficult to get into a trunk of a car? (I have a large trunk) but not sure I could manage to get it in. I am not too good at breaking things down and putting them together.

Appreciate your help and appreciate that this site is here. Thanks Maxi

Comment

Maxi,

There are quite a few different models, and some are very light and compact. Most also break down and are reassembled easily. Pride mobility's Go Go model comes immediately to mind. Besides recommendations here, you should go to a medical supply place that sells scooters and power wheelchairs to see some in person. The salepeople are very helpful, but don't let them talk you into one if you need to explore further options.

Something else to consider is how far you plan to travel with one on a single charge. Each one has a different distance it will travel once fully charged.

I always suggest going to a wheelchair clinic. An OT or PT will suggest the best one for your needs, take your measurements, and write a letter of authorization to your insurance company so it will be covered.

Good Luck!
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I did not know there were wheelchair clinics! I should probably be measured before I need one?

Comment

I got a scooter rather than a mobility chair. I can still walk, it's the long distance like shopping etc. That is hard and tiring for me.

The other thing I like about my scooter is that it comes apart easily and is light weight enough for my daughter to put in/out of the car.
                  Karen

Comment

I had a Pride Go Go 3 wheeled scooter for a couple of years. It began to be difficult for me to get on and off, plus having both hands on the handlebars wasn't always convenient.

I switched to a Pride Go Chair, which comes apart like a scooter but drives with a joystick. I can go right up to restaurant tables, etc. without having to get off and find a place for the scooter.

Comment

hey! im pretty much the same and love my pride victory sport 4 wheel scooter!!! it breaks down and fits in my trunk but the pieces might be a bit weighty for some but its well worth it for the comfort you get and its quite the looker too!lol

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
                        I had a Pride Go Go 3 wheeled scooter for a couple of years. It began to be difficult for me to get on and off, plus having both hands on the handlebars wasn't always convenient.

I switched to a Pride Go Chair, which comes apart like a scooter but drives with a joystick. I can go right up to restaurant tables, etc. without having to get off and find a place for the scooter.
                        I completely forgot about this chair! Thanks for reminding us about that option. Scooters aren't always the most convenient for everyone.

Although the Go-Go models are both convenient and relatively inexpensive, I could never sit comfortably in one. The seats weren't comfortable (for me), too hard. Plus, my legs are too long and the back of the seat didn't come up high enough for my comfort. I forgot how far they'll go on a single charge, but I remember it wasn't as far as some other ones.

It's important to consider your needs before investing in one. The medical supply places around here would also send out a rep to evaluate & make recommendations, but I still needed a OT or PT to write a letter that documented my needs so my insurance company would authorize payment. Also, not every (my experience is most) OT or PT is familiar with the requirements necessary in the letter of authorization.

Misslux,

I'm not sure what's offered in Canada, but there should be someplace similar that will evaluate a person's wheelchair needs. There are so many different kinds of scooters and wheelchairs (both manual & power) with various options for each model, it's best to find a professional who will know what is best suited for your needs.

Good luck!
                        Kimba

Comment

Kimba, yes I think I can easily find a professional to recommend and get fitted either through neuro rehab that I am currently attending until mid December or the OT at the MS clnic or the local Community Care Access Centre (run by the province).

Comment

all about scooters

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions on scooters. Never heard of a clinic where one could get measured for an appropriate scooter. Would a medical supply store be a possibility? I know people mentioned an OT or PT. How would one know if you are seeing someone who understands MS problems? Thanks again for all the suggetions. Also, wondering how heavy the are when broken down. Does anyone know? Regards to all, Maxi

Comment

maxi, you would have to ask each OT or PT what their experience is with neuro patients and specific conditions. Or alternatively, ask your local MS clinic if they keep a referral list.

Comment

Working...
                              X