No announcement yet.

Hoyer Lift Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a lift put into our home for our dd with cerebral palsy. It is on a track in the ceiling of her bedroom and bathroom. It is portable so it can be moved from room to room. The slings made for it are ones that can be used for the bathroom or shower and can be left under her in her chair. The track can be put anywhere in the house and it can go from bedroom to bathroom as well. The battery for the lift is chargable so it can be used without access to plug in's . I hoped this helps.

Comment

Thank You

Hi, I am new around here. I was this set of postings that got me to join though. My mom was diagnosed 8 years ago. For the last several months I have been her care provider. She has been in a chair full time for a few years now. She had still been able to stand a little until not too long ago, she was just not able to walk. When transferring became difficult I started caring for her. This week while helping he into her chair I hurt my back. I don't know what was worse, my back hurting or her feeling responsible for it. I have worked in nursing homes before so I know about some things available ffor transfer assistance. I did not know about sit-to-stand lifts though. I am so glad I read this thread and got to find out about it. My back was not badly hurt this time but it will be before long if I am not careful. Now, my big question. Who do we talk to about a lift that will not cost 2-3 thousand dollars? We do not have that kind of money but we need a lift. Please help!

Comment

Originally posted by 4mandms_daughter View Post
        Hi, I am new around here. I was this set of postings that got me to join though. My mom was diagnosed 8 years ago. For the last several months I have been her care provider. She has been in a chair full time for a few years now. She had still been able to stand a little until not too long ago, she was just not able to walk. When transferring became difficult I started caring for her. This week while helping he into her chair I hurt my back. I don't know what was worse, my back hurting or her feeling responsible for it. I have worked in nursing homes before so I know about some things available ffor transfer assistance. I did not know about sit-to-stand lifts though. I am so glad I read this thread and got to find out about it. My back was not badly hurt this time but it will be before long if I am not careful. Now, my big question. Who do we talk to about a lift that will not cost 2-3 thousand dollars? We do not have that kind of money but we need a lift. Please help!
        first, welcome to ms world!!!! we`rre glad your here. i`d check insurance first, many will cover a lift system. don`t rush into this, there are many models to choose from. keep in mind space to operate it and all possible uses for it. just think things thru. good luck.

dave
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I took care of my mother after her stroke, had her at home because even the best nursing home was just not in her best interests. She was completely bedridden and I got a Hoyer lift from Medicare.

I got her up in the chair, in the tub, whatever, but I am a former nurse and was not afraid to attempt this. I had a full time caretaker I trained while I was working.

If she is becoming more disabled, it might be best to have it in case you need it. What would happen in an emergency such as a fire or whatever? You might need to be able to move her quickly.

Comment

I agree with the other posts and strongly recommend getting a OT involved as they have ideas that would work in your home. I can still do a stand and transfer to the toilet(most times) and lift chair otherwise I use a slide board for getting into the bed and the shower but on occasions I fall and got a hoyor lift for those occasions. The OT in making out the paperwork stressed that it was needed also for my caregiver because if he went down with back pain I would need more help or even a nursing home for awhile.

Comment

hoyer lift - how to minimize pain with transfer

I am new to MSWorld and now i don't know why i didn't join earlier. The caring responses to the questions posted give me great hope that i've joined a wonderful community.

my Mother was diagnosed 4 years ago. She has tried to put on a good face as her mobility left. Three years ago, she fell and broke her hip and spent months in rehab, then had months of physical therapy at home. Alas, she was falling backward and physical therapy eventually was abandoned. She is in a chair full-time when not in a hospital bed.

Due to her rigidity, we've had a hoyer lift for several years. She has two wonderful caregivers, full-time home health aides. Now, when moving her between the chair and bed, she is in significant pain often yelling out. She's also always been fearful of the hoyer lift.

I hate to think she's staying in bed more and more just to avoid the hoyer lift.

My question is: are there ways to make the hoyer lift transfer less painful for people with advanced M.S. and rigidity, especially for those who fear the lift itself?

Any guidance you can provide would really be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X