Hoyer Lift Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoyer Lift Help

HI everyone, I am new here and joined this forum so I can help my mom.

My mom has Primary Progressive MS. She is non-ambulatory yet she is living at home with a 24/7 caregiver. I am writing today because she is having a very hard time right now. She lost her husband (primary caretaker) two years ago and had a massive coronary last October. Ever since her heart attack she has not been the same. Her caregivers are having a hard time managing her care.

I am overwhelmed with how many things have to be addressed with respect to her current situation so I am trying to prioritize and "triage" the problems.

She spends her entire day in a scooter. She transfers to the toilet but recently she has been having problems getting off the toilet, thus she is spending 3-4 hours a day sitting on the toilet because she doesn't have the leg strength, or ability to get off the pot onto her scooter. Her toilet has been retrofitted and it is as high has it can go.

One of her caregivers quit and another one is implying she can't stay unless my mom gets a lift. The caregivers have talked to my my about getting a lift, but my mom refuses (money is not an issue here).

My mom finds something wrong with everything. For instance we have spent over $5k out of pocket on lift chairs for her over the past year (so she can sit somewhere other than her scooter) and she refuses to sit in them because they are not quite right.

I am going to get a lift for her whether she likes it or not. Can anyone recommend a lift that will pull her off the toilet and also allow us to pull up her pants? She is very weak, has very poor trunk control, very weak arms.

Of if you have other ideas please let me know.

Lauren in Chicago

OH Lauren..what a wonderful daughter you are..
    Sorry for all that YOU have been through and your mom too. And I am sorry for losing your dad..that must be a huge loss.

Your mom is probably grieving..for your dad..for HER independency and dignity..and wants SOME control over her life by asking or refusing things. This is hard on all of you.

Hon, I am afraid she may be close to a nursing home UNLESS she can afford 2 people to assist in transfers. Do you live with her? Do you work? What are the caregivers saying THEY need to help her?

If ONE person can no longer assist her in her basic functions, like toileting and transfers..she will need to either hire 2 people..or go to a nursing facilty. She should not sit so long on anything.. as she is at risk for skin breakdown which is bedsores..and they can get really nasty. How is the integrity of her skin? Esp bottom..

An electric hoyer can be rented through a DME company. Thats durable medical equipment. She probably has used a company already for some of the equipment yes?

Let us know what YOU need. HUGS to your mother.
    This is a big transition. What are her doctors saying or recommending??

Again.. come here anytime ..WE will support you ok hon?

Warmly, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Jan, you always seem to have the best advice. Chicagogirl, i offer my support. i have no idea what you must be going thru. in my own experience, the disease also effects the emotions. like Jan said, when you have little control over how things are going, you try hard to hang on to the things you can still decide. Best wishes to you and Mom.

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
        OH Lauren..what a wonderful daughter you are..
        Sorry for all that YOU have been through and your mom too. And I am sorry for losing your dad..that must be a huge loss.

Your mom is probably grieving..for your dad..for HER independency and dignity..and wants SOME control over her life by asking or refusing things. This is hard on all of you.

Hon, I am afraid she may be close to a nursing home UNLESS she can afford 2 people to assist in transfers. Do you live with her? Do you work? What are the caregivers saying THEY need to help her?

If ONE person can no longer assist her in her basic functions, like toileting and transfers..she will need to either hire 2 people..or go to a nursing facilty. She should not sit so long on anything.. as she is at risk for skin breakdown which is bedsores..and they can get really nasty. How is the integrity of her skin? Esp bottom..

An electric hoyer can be rented through a DME company. Thats durable medical equipment. She probably has used a company already for some of the equipment yes?

Let us know what YOU need. HUGS to your mother.
        This is a big transition. What are her doctors saying or recommending??

Again.. come here anytime ..WE will support you ok hon?

Warmly, Jan
        Thank you for your reply. I don't live with my mom, and I am not working right now. However, I have two children ages 7 and 9 and a husband who travels so I am only available during the day from 9 to 2 and I live 30 miles away.

Her skin is good so far. She and my grandmother (who lives with my mom) split the cost of 24/7 caregivers. My grandmother is 90. Now is not the time for a nursing a home for her because that would mean my grandmom would need a nursing home too (she has mild dementia) and I think it is probably cheaper to have more caregiver's or rent DME, etc.

There has to be a way to work this out.

Comment

Your mom has had so much loss! Things just keep happening to her. She is probably grieving and possibly depressed. I would feel devasted!

Take her to see her doctor and see if she possibly could use an anti-depressant (sp). I know alittle about the anger and fear of constant loss and no control over anything that happens to you. She maybe should been seen by an occupational and physical therapist too. They could help her regain some function/strength and suggest changes in the home that would make her care easier. Also try to help her talk through her anger and loss...maybe a professional could help.

I have had MS for 15 yrs...during which time I lost both of my parents within 3 months. I slowly became paralyzed and use a power chair and this year so far I have begun losing the effective use of both hands and can barely move in bed and must be transferred everywhere...quadraplegia may not be far from reality! Anyway, I'm hear if you need backup. Susan
          Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

chicagogurl,
            i saw in a magizine add a transfer lift with wheels for pivoting. having no experience with this issue, i don`t have knowledge of lifts. maybe they all come this way, but if there`s room to use it and there`s room in the pocketbook, they sound very beneficial. let us know what you do, and how it`s working. good luck.

dave
            hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
            volunteer
            MS World
            hunterd@msworld.org
            PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

i too experienced problems transferring to and from the toilet. i am now bedridden. i had to eventually swallow my pride and start wearing depends. my wife (caregiver) changes me like a baby. OH WELL!

Comment

Lauren

I have been in a wheelchair for approximately eight years , the last six I have been unable to transfer by myself . at which time we purchased a hoya lift . I am a very large woman about 201 point pounds -- totally incontinent and no control over my bowels . For a number of years I used depends, as well as catheterization . I have one caregiver and my husband on weekends . I had a suprapubic cath put in and a few years ago a colostomy . no depends,cathing,infections or embarrassment . The lift that I have allows my caregiver to get the dressed completely every day . You and your mother are in my but prayers . This unfortunately is definitely a family disease. You are a great daughter and I hope this has helped.

Comment

my wife is like this

Hi my wife has something...they do not know and now they think she might has MS. Any way...she fell of fast really fast...and the other day I looked at her and said, "Oh my God you are starving to death". So now she has a peg and in 4 cans of Walgreen Nutritional drink she is standing upon her own two feet with no help. We thought that is illness is robing her and it is...but maybe due to bad eating habits a better life is approaching. Maybe something to look into...it sure is blessings us.

Comment

There is a sit-to-stand lift. You can buy manual or fully electric. I am full time in a wheelchair and when I broke my ankle, the rehab facility used one. I loved it!

Comment

I would suggest getting an OT or PT evaluation. Some will even come to your house. There are a variety of Hoyer systems. I would think a power lift would work best if there is only one caregiver. There are ceiling lifts that go from the bedroom to bathroom to ?? as well as the traditional Hoyer.

Good Luck and get some help from someone who knows adaptive equipment!
                      GG

Comment

My goodness you have a lot facing you.
                        My MIL has been in a nursing home since last Nov. The staff has been very helpful in answering questions about lifts, as this is a very real possibility in my future.

Having an OT and PT for an assessment is a good idea.
                        Stay strong

Comment

Ana R.

I was diagnosed two years ago. It started when i felt tingling in my legs. Now i just try to keep moving, go to curves gym, ride by bike, and keep as active as possible. Anytime i go to lay down i feel the tingling and i am very uncomfortable. It's aggravating, fore i just want to relax and my body is constantly tingling. I am thankful for my strengh that i have. But i do feel like i am getting depressed for my mind doesn't feel as confident and i have trouble comunicating with people. It's like i have no confidence but yet i keep my self busy as much as possible. Maybe i need an antidepressant. I'm not sure. But i am scared of the ms reaching a different level that i might not be able to handle that well. Right now i am on avonex. Could the meds be making me feel down? Thanks for listening! And who do i go to for antidepressants if thats what i need!

Comment

Ana R.

I'm very new at this. Not sure how this works. But i sure hope that we can all find some help with each others experiences. Where do the responses appear?

Comment

Hello Ana R.

Welcome to the MS World Forums!

The responses that members post will appear in this thread

You might get more responses tomorrow when more folks are on the boards. It's bedtime for many now

Also Ana R. you might want to start your own thread about the Avonex and depression in the Medications Forum. Just go down to Forum Jump, and choose the Medications Forum. When you get there, look on the bottom left where it says New Thread. You will get more responses there from others on Avonex.

Hope this helps! Best wishes to you

Take care,
                              KoKo
                              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
                              X