Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cane to help with balance loss in relapse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am left handed and my weak side is my left side but can only use a crutch or stick on the right side. Also can also only link on the left side. No rhyme or reason to me.
    Diagnosed 10 years.
    Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

I'm up late....can't sleep. I will be picking up my Bilateral cane (crutches) today. Looking forward to them. lol. Using the single cane is no longer an option (sigh). I did have to get an order from my Neuro and have the Pt evaluate me. I am also in PT 3 times a week. I will need to find some cute butterfly stickers to decorate my new accessory to the wardrobe.
      I am a phenomenal woman; and still I rise.

Comment

TEEBIRD: I will be picking up my Bilateral cane (crutches) today. Looking forward to them. lol. Using the single cane is no longer an option (sigh).
        Good luck with your new crutches. Are they the forearm type?

I have the forearm type, but I don't use them. Mine are very heavy and awkward, and the forearm cuffs are too big on my bare arms, and in the winter they're too small to fit with my coat on. Plus I couldn't carry anything.

So I purchased a 3-wheel roller walker (only 9 pounds, folds and fits on the floor in the back seat of the car). It has a pouch which holds my purse, or small bags.

Hopefully you will have better luck with your new walking aids than I did. Let us know how you do with them.

Take care,
        KoKo
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Got My Cane Today

Well, I went and did it. Broke down and bought a cane today. My wife had ankle replacement surgery two weeks ago and I have been her primary caregiver. I get soooooo tired I stumble a lot and almost fell several times.
          I am thinking of the cane as a tool to allow me to help my wife. She has always been there for me, so it is my honor and privilege to be there for her in her time of need. She has been worried that my taking care of her would overstress me. At times it almost has. Anyway, she and I are glad to have the cane as a helper. It puts both our minds at ease.

Comment

I got a cane a few months ago when I had my first real relapse that gave me right-side weakness (arms and legs).

I ordered a pretty adjustable folding one from Amazon for about $ 20 (knowing I could return it if it didn't work).

Had trouble using it until I went to PT and was shown the proper way to use it and the correct height adjustment. By then, I didn't really need it anymore, so I hope I remember how to use it the next time I need it. I keep it in my car all of the time just in case I need it.

My PCP also made me apply for a handicap placard to have "just in case". I received it but have not used it yet. Hopefully I won't need it much !

Comment

Day 3 with the forearm crutches

I went to Open House today at the girls' school and I am exhausted. The forerm crutches really do help me with balance and I'm getting used to them. I carry my backpack purse instead of my shoulder one. My legs are so tired just from attempting to walk.

The AFO's will be here Aug 8. I chose the blue ones with the butterlies. lol. Cute huh. I hope they help. I do have a wheelchair that I could use on outings if I had help breaking it done and reassembling. I'll get it together.
              Therapy is still going well. Tiring but well.
              I am a phenomenal woman; and still I rise.

Comment

Working...
              X