Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cane to help with balance loss in relapse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello. I am new to forum. I am having a relapse that involves dizziness and balance issues. In many stores I can use grocery carts to balance. However, I am embarrassed at other places such as libraries etc where I almost look drunk due to balance issues. Would a cane help or a walking/treking stick? Also, maybe onlookers would not think I was drunk? I don't know how long this will last, but it is frustrating - especially in the heat of the parking lots.

If it would help, how do you go about getting a cane?

Thanks for any help.

Hi Willow,

So sorry you are having a relapse (exacerbation)right now.
    Are you having it treated with steroids?
    http://ms.about.com/od/multiplescler...s_relapses.htm

Regarding a cane or walking stick, think of these items as tools to help you, not an embarrassment.
    It can help steady you, which is really, really important.
    (I chose a folding cane at Walmart, which was simple.)
    Others can easily be ordered online. Searching for them is easy, too.

Don't worry about onlookers. People don't see the physical damage from MS and the stupid people might say something. Ignore them and take care of yourself.

Do you have a parking placard to allow you to save your energy? Those also are helpful tools. It might be tough accepting these things, but they are worth it.

Please be good to yourself.

Comment

Thank you for your reply Twisterred.

I did have three days of steroids and a taper and other rx for symptoms. Prior to the steroids, I could barely walk because the vertigo/dizziness/fatigue was so bad. I am getting another MRI soon and my doc wants me to start on Copaxone.

Does one have to have a right/left side imbalance for canes to help with imbalance?

I am not sure if I should wait till my MRI and Dr appt next week (and then PT appt?) - or just pick an inexpensive one to try asap.

It would be nice to have the stability it might provide.

Comment

Willow3

I feel your "pain" girl! This disease can take many forms for all of us, I would rather use a cane, grocery cart, or some other balance advise than a wheelchair! I'm getting close to losing my driving privileges due to my 3 kids in my car if I can't handle the driving, I wouldn't want to put anyone in danger!
        Ok, i'm in a daze now because my brother in law who lives with us, thinks he knows more than anyone about anything!
        Blessings to everyone!
        All my best, Christine, aka, chrissylou39, Shelton

Comment

Twistered & Willow

I suppose we all have the same opinion about, canes, etc.! I'm fortunate enough that I havent had many relapses since finding out about this MS, it's probably because i didn't even know i had MS, can you say ignorance is bliss? Right now, that's how I feel! I'm exhausted, my daughter's friend hung out a lot today, which is good for them as young girls and out of school for summer break! My friend wants to take me out of the house more than we do, she needs to work and I'm the frustrated stay at home mom!
          Ok, forget the pity party for me, I'll sleep well tonight, God is on my side!
          My blessings to everyone,
          Christine, aka, chrissylou39, Shelton

Comment

Originally posted by Willow63 View Post
            Hello. I am new to forum. I am having a relapse that involves dizziness and balance issues. In many stores I can use grocery carts to balance. However, I am embarrassed at other places such as libraries etc where I almost look drunk due to balance issues. Would a cane help or a walking/treking stick? Also, maybe onlookers would not think I was drunk? I don't know how long this will last, but it is frustrating - especially in the heat of the parking lots.

If it would help, how do you go about getting a cane?

Thanks for any help.
            YES YES YES a cane CERTAINLY helps with balance. That is the most common reason I use one. It gives your mind another reference to help with balance. Go to your local pharmacy and get a can that "notches" up and down (in other words you can make it longer/shorter). You should be able to hold the cane and USE IT without bending over. If you feel you need a more accurate measurement for a cane, ask your Doc to send you to a P.T. THEY know how to measure for one.
            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Love those shopping trolleys! I have trouble with a cane, particularly if I have to carry something (anything, even a handbag).
              Thank you, Twisterred. Your posts have been a great source of reason, kindness and comfort.

Comment

Glad to share.

No other friends ask for advice in this arena, they don't have MS.
                It's my pleasure to share what I've learned and others have shared with me.

Thanks for the thanks!

Comment

Fashionable Canes

I understand your questions and concerns. I've been using a cane for balance for over 4 yrs now, dx with MS in '99. Hated using them at first, but hubby found me a clear lucite cane that gets lots of compliments. If you go to the site www.fashionablecanes.com, you can also get info on how to walk with canes and how to properperly measure for right cane. And if you look further into their site you can find a nice lucite cane! http://www.fashionablecanes.com/Clea...ing_Canes.html

Originally posted by Willow63 View Post
                  Thank you for your reply Twisterred.

I did have three days of steroids and a taper and other rx for symptoms. Prior to the steroids, I could barely walk because the vertigo/dizziness/fatigue was so bad. I am getting another MRI soon and my doc wants me to start on Copaxone.

Does one have to have a right/left side imbalance for canes to help with imbalance?

I am not sure if I should wait till my MRI and Dr appt next week (and then PT appt?) - or just pick an inexpensive one to try asap.

It would be nice to have the stability it might provide.

My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

First of all, welcome to this forum. Sorry you are having problems with balance and dizziness.

I remember two years my children told me I looked drunk when I was out in public. I reluctantly started using my old foldable cane. It took a few wekks to get used to. I thought everybody was looking at me strangely.

Two years later I now use a foldable cane, a straight cane, and a quad cane for balance. I never leave home without it.
                    For the past two days my balance has been so off, if I didn't have the cane I would have fallen flat on my face.

I always check out the site that KureMS mentioned. When I get my finances straight I will order a few in different colors, especially the clear lucite cane. Like others have mentioned you can go to your local pharmacy as well.

Take good care.
                    "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
                    Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

canes are our friends!

i love mine! took me awhile to use one too. had to fall on my face a few times before i got the clue!
                      just because you need one now during a relapse isn't a permanent sentence to cane use. i'd go back and forth from needing one. kept one in car in case heat or fatique got to me.
                      but i would start with a cheaper store one with the notches to adjust that someone suggested.
                      it's very important to be taught how to use one properly. it helps a lot more that way.
                      i've ended up collecting many. friends have given me some, even hand made some for me. all of them even have names ! ok, i know a little strange, but that's how much a part of me they seem.
                      prayerfully you'll be feeling better soon.
                      take care and God bless ya!
                      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Hello Willow and everyone --

This is my first post... so far I've been lurking and learning.

I was diagnosed in 2006, but had been symptomatic for many years.

I don't go anywhere without my foldable cane due to symptoms like Willow's that come and go at will.

Here's the point I'd like to make... PT kept insisting that I use the cane on my RIGHT side (right hand) even though it's the LEFT leg that gives out.

Many, many discussions on that one! But, for me, the cane acts like an extra left leg when the "real" one gives out. Only using it like an extra leg is what keeps me from kissing the floor over and over!

Stick to your gut feelings, get the tools you need, and don't give two toots about what the rest of the world thinks or says.

Hey guys, those of us with canes are still MOBILE!!! What have we got to bark about??? Nothing!

Take Care All,

janienene

Comment

Hello All
                          I am Susan from the occupational therapist forum!

Using a cane helps tremendously with balance and the nice thing is, there are several types to chose from. Different handles, curves, even the bottom can be a single leg or 4.

Since there are so many, I do suggest getting an order from the doctor for physical therapy so they can get you the best one for your needs. They will also train you in proper use.

For me, I have to agree with janienene. It helps if I use it on the same side that is weak, it just feels more natural. The PT is doing what they are trained to do and there is nothing wrong with that. Just sometimes a therapist needs to listen to the client and adjust accordingly.

If you are not able to go to PT and will purchase one on your own, here are some suggestions:
                          Make sure it's adjustable,
                          Adjust the cane so it is to the height of your hip bone;
                          Although a foam handle may be more comfortable, I like handles that I can rinse off. Use foam if you have hand/wrist issues that require it.;
                          If it doesn't come with a loop to hold the cane, attach an elastic on the handle so you can rest it on your wrist when using your hands. I use the elastic off of key chains.

Don't forget to consider the type of shoes you use. For me, walking and balance has a lot to do with the ability to feel the ground and not have to use extra effort to 'lug' heavy sneakers or shoes. I've changed my footware totally.

Lastly, although it takes time, don't worry about what others think. This is about YOU and the last thing you would want is to get hurt.
                          I saw a friend I hadn't seen in 25 years the other day -really. He said 'what's up with the cane', and because I was in a place that made it hard for me to fully explain my situation, I replied "Oh this thing, that's nothing, you should see what the other person needs to use"... Totally took the attention away.

Good luck
                          Be Well,
                          Susan

Comment

walking stick

I think it was on a thread somewhere around here that I saw someone mention getting a hiking stick rather than a cane at first...to get used to it and not feel as if you are being stared at.

I got one a month ago to take on vacation, especially to the beach. My balance was a little better at the time, but I wasn't sure about the sand and heat. I found a set of two with flashlights built in for only $14 at TJMaxx. They are adjustable and have three choices of feet: regular like a cane, and two wide circular pieces for walking in sand or snow to prevent the end from piercing too deeply. They also have a built in wrist sling to help keep from dropping the walking stick and to hold on your arm when not needed for balance.

It worked out great and looked normal. However, I think I'll actually need a cane with an ergonomic (spelling?) handle. Holding the walking stick hurt my wrist after a while.

Comment

Crutches work for me

Hi Willow,
                              I can so relate to what you say. I have had MS for 10 years with no major relapse. Then after stressful time at work we went on a holiday. Time to relax and bam couldn't stand or walk. 3 monts later I can walk but excaptionally unsteady. Tried a whole lot of BLING decorated walking sticks on the internet which would be good for a lot of people but I needed more support. Went to the local PT and got free pair of crutches the next day. Firstly they offer me loads of support and can walk better than I have in months. Also I am fairly self conscious of the cane but with the crutches it looks like I broke my ankle or something like that and whether it is true or not I feel that I am not so obvious
                              Diagnosed 10 years.
                              Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X