Injuries due to MS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jessiesmom View Post
    I can never be sure if any of my accidents are really because of MS or simple inattention to my surroundings. Either way, the results were the same.
    Almost every fall I've ever had has been attributed to inattention or clumsiness, but now I wonder how many of them were MS?

Good to hear I'm not the only one who can step wrong on a pebble in the drive & end up with an injury.
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Add me to the collection. No broken bones but I have plenty of scars on the outside of my body as well as in my brain because of MS. I'm always covered in scrapes and bruises and bumps. Strangers probably think I've been beaten. Well, until they watch me for a few minutes and see me weaving back and forth like I've had one too many drinks.
      What if trials of this life
      Are Your mercies in disguise?
      "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Holy moley! Well, I can see I am in good company!! Thank you for all the responses. I feel better! (misery loves company)

Comment

Falling

I fell by the pool when I was on vacation(first one in 10 years) last month. Hurt my hand, hip, foot and scraped my knee. When I saw my nero about a week after I fell he said "Well, you've fallen before." Like it was no big deal. Time for a new Dr.
          Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

Comment

As my family lives together still (my boyfriend, parents, and myself since my boyfriend and I go to college) they often get the giggles in the morning. I bounce off walls a lot now... no.. let me correct that. The walls jump out and tackle me!

My mother is usually awake in the morning, and I usually can wake up, get dressed, never have an issue like I'm tired. Unfortunately since the MS I'm now a walking ping-pong ball all the time. I can't walk a straight line to save my life no matter the time of day, so I often mis-judge and walk into doors/walls/light posts.

Anyways, back to my mother and mornings. so I get up in the morning, usually smack face first into my bedroom door even though it's wide open and I was SURE that I had gone through the giant opening... I then proceed to be attacked by the walls all morning. My mother laughs her butt off, even though I often hurt myself. She isn't laughing out of spite or dislike of me, but kind of as a way to cope. It's actually helpful. Now when I fall down and embarrass myself she usually will make some kind of clumsy joke to make me laugh and not feel terrible...

M.S. = Constant Chance For Injury... It's a fact. ^_^
            Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
            Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

Well let's just say, I am not allowed to carry hot pans, use the hedge trimmers, climb latters or mow anymore.

I have become the worlds worst clutz. I dropped an enitre can of paint a few weeks ago and have no idea how I managed to do it until I saw it on the floor.

It is a laugh at times but also frustrating when I want to and feel like doing things.

Lucky I have only had minor burns, cuts and bruises. Worst was when I cut off the end of a finger but they did sew it back on.

Comment

Oh, Yeah! I've had a couple of falls due to foot drop. The first one I tripped on a concrete sidewalk because the slabs weren't even. Broke three teeth, needed three root canals and three crowns! My pension went to those teeth.

Then I fell a couple of months ago on vacation and bruised the bursa of my knee. It is a bump that gets black and blue once in awhile but isn't a real problem. That was lucky.

I spend most of my time looking at the ground when I'm walking anywhere now.

Be very careful! This disease zings you every so often just to remind you that it's there!

Comment

My injury is specifically due to MS. I was in a rehab facility and the doctor I had knew nothing about MS and drastically cut my spasticity drugs. I started having major attacks and he gave me back half a dose of one drug he had taken away totally, the others he left at half dose.

Five weeks later, I dislocated my right hip in two spacticity attacks - your thigh muscles are strong enough to do that. This put me in a wheelchair. I'm still there 4 years later because I had a chronic sore on my left leg that nixed out hip surgery because of possible infection. That sore is now healed and I am looking into hip replacement surgery to get me out of this chair.
                  Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

INJURIES

YES GOT MY FEET TANGLED UP, FELL AND BROKE MY HIP 4 WEEKS AGO. SO I AM TRYING TO GET BACK TO WHERE I WAS BEFORE. IT IS HARD TO EXPLAIN TO PEOPLE, EMBARRASSING.

Comment

Loss of balance causes lots of injuries

I have been having a terrible falling spell recently. Lots of bruises, lacerations but no broken bones yet. I also managed to stab myself in the head while making Christmas dinner. Head wounds bleed alot but I appled direct pressure and patched myself up so at least I did not end up in ER.

I was so happy I had two days in a row without falling this week. Yesterday though I fell again and I should have some interesting bruises from it. I fell backwards and hit a few peices of furnature.

Last week I fell on the tile and you could see the grout line pattern in the bruise. I took a picture of that one for my bruise collection. I also fell last week and on the way down hit my cheek on a speaker, bruised and lacerated my right clavicle and small cuts on my hand.

I know in the end gravity always wins but this is rediculous. It truely sucks! I will try again to not fall today.

Comment

Has anyone here considered the use of DME to help with walking or ambulation? Braces - crutches - walkers - wheel chairs? Heck - my husband would be a total wreck (broken nose - no front teeth - broken bones) unless he used stuff to keep him from falling down.

Or putting in handicap stuff in your house (or making a house "handicap safe"). Stuff like putting in grab bars and seats in showers.

For most people - MS is a disease that eventually puts you in a wheel chair (if you don't die of something else before then). And you just have to accept where you are in that process. And deal with it accordingly. My husband accepts it. I accept it in him (like he accepts my medical problems). Robyn

Comment

I broke 4 toes in one year (not all at the same time, though 2 were within days of one another), bruises are common on me from walking into things, and have gotten scrapes from falling.
                          MS, it's a brain thang!
                          Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

Robyn - fyi only 20% of msers end up in wheelchairs.
                            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Originally posted by GEM View Post
                              Robyn - fyi only 20% of msers end up in wheelchairs.
                              Judging from this thread - maybe there should be more using assistive devices (not necessarily wheel chairs). There is nothing funny about falling down and injuring yourself - particularly as you get older. Robyn

Comment

You just have to accept it? I can understand encouraging us to adapt to it.......to learn news ways to do the same old thing. I will NEVER accept this!!!

There are no lesions on my soul and so I will live with NO LIMITS.

Comment

Working...
                                X