Injuries due to MS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injuries due to MS.

I have injured myself twice in the last 6 weeks. I tripped and fell while filling my jeep. I was very embarrassed and bloodied my knee.

Two weeks ago, I stubbed my toe on a corner of a wall in my house. I actually broke my toe! Really, and truly! After two days, I went for an x-ray as it looked just awful!

They taped it up and I was sternly warned. Did you know that if you break the skin anywhere near a broken bone; that it's technically a "compound" fracture? You become at risk for a bone infection! So anyway....it's healing and there was no infection.

Have you injured yourself due to MS issues? I suppose I need to just slow down and be more careful.

I took a fall in a hardware store about amonth ago and ended up with a bruise on my hip. I am glad to say that is the only time something like happened. Now, I do run into walls sometimes. I will cut the corners short and my shoulder with catch the wall but I do not get hurt.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Comment

Yep
      A few eeeks ago, I lost my balance on our front steps (concrete) and fell down them.
      Didn't break anything, but scraped my knee, arm and forehead, and bent my glasses.

With balance this bad, I am very careful on steps now.

Comment

teeth!

broke my front tooth at work! we where in an indoor pool it was like miami hot!
        zzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Yes I have had injuries due to MS...more times than I can count and with various results.

I shattered my ankle, was non-weightbearing for 7 weeks and had surgery on that ankle...I simply lost my balance on 2 stairs leading to the garage.

I had a partial tear in the right rotator cuff when I was using a treadmill and accidently pushed the wrong speed.

I have sprained my leg a few times, messed up my knees and have had numerous scrapes, bumps, bruises, and blood.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I broke a couple of ribs a few years ago (as the result of a fall).
            “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
            Diagnosed 1979

Comment

It is not uncommon for doorways/walls/curbs to jump out in front of me! Haven't broken anything due to their bad behavior, but I have skinned knees & elbows.

Thankfully they have been behaving themselves recently.
              DX 10/2008
              Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
              Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
              Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

ALONG WITH THE EVERYDAY BUMPING IN TO WALLS AND DOORFRAMES I HAVE FALLEN OR ALMOST FALLEN OFTEN.

ONCE WHILE ON TOILET I LOST BALANCE AND FELL HEADFIRST DOWN INTO A SUNK-IN BATHTUB AND ENDED UP ON HOSPITAL WITH CONTUSIONS AND SCRAPES.

ANOTHER BAD FALL WAS WHILE IN SHOWER..LOOKED UP TOO QUICKLY AND THE NEXT THING I KNEW..BAM! ON THE BOTTOM OF TUB AND COULD NOT GET OUT. OFF TO ER AGAIN. VASOVAGAL SYNCOPE sp? DIAGNOSIS AND UIGE BUMPS ON HEAD AND SHOULDER.

ACCIDENT PRONE ME!

Comment

MS.. FALLS...INJURIES......SURGERIES.....

Yep! been there done that, more than once.

WoW time has flown..... over 4 years ago, flat level surface (concrete) I fell and tore a rotor cuff, had surgery, fell again a few months later, yet another surgery... Many other lesser falls, scrapes bruses etc.

I guess it just goes with the MS teritory....

Gomer Dr. of, Been There, Done That

Comment

Injuries and MS

Oh my goodness, YES. I most certainly have had injuries that could be attributed to MS.

Once I stepped on a pebble on a client's sloped driveway and down I went. I broke a bone in my foot.

Another time I tripped over one of those concrete parking bumpers in a school parking lot and hit the ground. I broke the SAME bone that I had previously broken in the driveway incident.

In the summer of 2009 I simply tripped going from my carpeted living room into my tiled kitchen. That was a doozy. I actually broke my right ankle that time. Non-weight bearing for 8 weeks.

I can never be sure if any of my accidents are really because of MS or simple inattention to my surroundings. Either way, the results were the same.

Comment

Today I finished occupational therapy for a fall in February. I fell in my family room. I used my right hand to try and break the fall and ended up breaking my little finger and the ring finger. Dr and therapist both said I may never regain 100% of use in my hand. Right now I'm about at 60%. People with MS have to REALLY be careful.

Comment

injuries and MS

My first martial arts training was on how to fall and not hurt yourself. Since my diagnosis I've had to use that training several times. I should teach a class in falling.

Comment

I am notorious for tripping over my own feet.

So far, I've been lucky that I haven't actually fallen, except on the ice in winter, which I can't entirely blame on the MS.
                          ~Jenny~
                          Diagnosed 12/2010
                          Copaxone 1/2011

Comment

Originally posted by gretchen1 View Post

Have you injured yourself due to MS issues? I suppose I need to just slow down and be more careful.
                            Yes.
                            Lots of broken toes,some fingers, many brused and scraped places.....I never was clumsey before but I probably fall down once a week now.

I am 46 and I still heal pretty fast so I just keep as active as possible.
                            If things start to take too long to recover from or I start to have problems healing my injuries I think I will slow down.
                            But for now, I just straighten up any broken toes or fingers and tape them up myself. I have a collection of wraps and rib belts and if nothing feels out of place, I take care of it myself.

I have become pretty good at knowing when I really need a Dr and when I can take care of it myself.

When in doubt or are really worried...Go see the Dr. If it does not feel too bad skip it. (I hate being in a cast).

Comment

Fell down the stairs a couple of weeks ago cut on the bridge of my nose. Then a week later lost my balance on my deck stairs a fell just a bruised elbow. Only the dogs saw me fall both times and they did not laugh at me.
                              "Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole."

Comment

Working...
                              X