No announcement yet.

Movies and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know if I am ready to see a movie about someone with MS....a little too close to home at this moment.

I do like uplifting movies though. Back in the 70's there was a movie with a very young Diane Lane, Debra Raffin and Michael Learned(mom from the Waltons) about a young girl with Cerebral Palsy and how Elvis helped her to come out of her semi-comatose self. Its a true story.

The original movie was called, "To Elvis With Love". It was a Canadian film. They changed the name to" Touched by Love" but is impossible to find.

The woman who wrote the book "To Elvis with Love" is from Canada and her name is Lena Canada. Very good movie...be prepared to cry....I have been searching for the book for years as for the movie....no luck at all!!! I think HBO origianally aired the movie...again it was in the late 70's early 80's. If you get a chance it is a really good movie and shows a side of Elvis not many people know about. But if I cant find it....maybe you can.

As for Michael J Fox, I think he is just trying to disabilities like Parkinson's out there and that there is a need for people to know..whether its good or bad behavior that is protrayed...you are still human..even with a disability...some people change....some people dont.

Friends can change for the good or for the worse....its sad but part of the world in which we live. Currently I work(new office) that people ignore the fact that I walk with a cane. Although the stress level has really dropped, my last job at least people offered to help when I was trying to carry something.

I am very self-sufficient, but sometimes you need help. I know I can always ask,but then I feel I am giving them cause to say"if you cant do the job......" but you always hope there will be some compassion...even a glimmer...I guess Ive learned the grass isnt always greener.

I know there were some trade offs...but...then again???

Anyway, I digress...SORRY!! If you can find the movie or the book, please watch and let me know...I love the story...loved the movie and would love to get the book!!! TaTA All Pip Pip and all that sort of rot.....

Comment

LOURDES

Great that you bumped this one poohbear!

There is a film about a girl with MS.
      I saw it!
      American Filmstart is set on
      17 February 2010 (USA)!

The movie is titled "Lourdes"
      A girl with MS and it is a must see.

Greets to you all
      ww
      zzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Best “Multiple Sclerosis” movies.
        http://fullmoviereview.com/keywords/multiple-sclerosis/

There is a long list of famous people with MS.
        http://www.disabled-world.com/artman...s-famous.shtml

Cool! Including the first Doctor Who, William Hartnell.
        I loved that show, me was one of the best to me.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Originally posted by sloth7 View Post
          I think Annette Funicello had one but I dont know how far it went into ms: " a dream is a wish your heart makes".

I loathe when ms is in shows, I watch tv for escape

I hated Hilary and jackie thought it was awful and shows only worst case scenaro mixed w/ a dispicable story but thats just me.

I googled and found this but its books: "Stephen White has written a series of thrillers about a psychologist whose wife has MS. Mr. White has MS. The books are pretty fun mysteries"
          Do you happen to know any of the Titles?
          Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

fuzzywuzzy, (and anyone else) who thought i might be knocking Michael J Fox.i didn't mean to be or to offend anyone. I've been a fan of his since 'family ties'.
            It was just how his character on The Good Wife was so conniving and ruthless and exploited his disability to win the case. i was surprised that he'd agree to such a demeaning character that portrayed people with disabilities in a such a bad light.
            I appreciate what he is trying to do to bring attention to people with disabilities, but that doesn't mean i always agree with him.

But, yes, we're all human, disabled or not. And i learned a long time ago you can't please or make everyone happy.
            i'm sorry if my point was taken incorrectly.
            thanks again for starting this thread. it gives me some great ideas to watch and read.
            take care and GOd bless ya'll!
            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzywuzzy2 View Post
              The original movie was called, "To Elvis With Love". It was a Canadian film. They changed the name to" Touched by Love" but is impossible to find.

The woman who wrote the book "To Elvis with Love" is from Canada and her name is Lena Canada. Very good movie...be prepared to cry....I have been searching for the book for years as for the movie....no luck at all!!! I think HBO origianally aired the movie...again it was in the late 70's early 80's. If you get a chance it is a really good movie and shows a side of Elvis not many people know about. But if I cant find it....maybe you can.
              I found a few copies on Amazon. Very expensive (for me, anyway). I hope this helps. I wish I could see it, myself.

P.S. I did a google search for "buy touched by love movie" to get the results I did.
              [insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky10
                Stephen White's website: http://www.authorstephenwhite.com/. Alan Gregory is the character whose wife, Lauren, has MS. I love his books and find his depiction of her situation to be very accurate and realistic.
                THANK YOU I will Be looking for them
                Dx'd RRMS 7/12/2010, Back in the Prob. Pile 2/1/2011 "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall”...Ray Bradbury

Comment

Geez

So I just watched Hilary and Jackie on Netflix and cried my eyes out.

That was an amazing movie (despite the incredible uncomfortableness from the whole issue with Jackie and the husband) .

Thanks for this thread so I was able to know about it.
                  [insert motivational quote here]

DX of Lyme Disease May 2010/Still under investigation for body madness

Comment

movies

No but I have a home collection of movies who's actors have ms. I love David Landers (Sqiggy on Laverne and Shirley) He has a part in the movie Willow. And of course Young Frankenstein has Teri Garr. Plus Richard Pryor has a number of movies out.

Comment

poohb, im sorry i wasnt trying to make you feel bad I understand what you are saying...aganin Im sorry if I did not express myself clearly.....you did and said nothing wrong.

Smama, Thanks yes too exspensive for my blood...shame to such a good movie. I went to Diane Lane at the movie database???? site its listed but you cant buy it. It was on tv some ten years ago, but DVRs werent around...at least for me and I didnt even have a VCR

On Golden Pond is actually a shinning tribute to Katherine Hepburn who had Parkinsins for years...its never addresses but what an actress!!

Comment

There was a TV movie and Teri Garr was in it, she played a character in a wheelchair (and I think the character had MS.)

The movie was about the family with sextuplets (can't remember their name, they followed them on TV specials for many years.)

Teri Garr played the husband's mother, and she had a chronic illness that I think was MS.

Comment

I vaguely recall " to elvis w/ love"...I didnt connect it w/ms tho'in my memory ugh......I recall it was very sad so i dont wanna see it again now I have ms.
                          Like I said mostly only movies w/ worst case scenarios ..yuck for me to see LOL.

Comment

Working...
                          X