No announcement yet.

Question about treatment for urinary retention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am newly diagnosed, just started on Avonex about 4 weeks ago. So, what is a reasonable number of times to have to get up during the night to urinate? One.. two.. or none? When I saw the neuro for the first time, she asked if I had any bladder problems and I said No.

But then I got to thinking about it and there are very few nights that I don't have to get up at least once, sometimes twice (and even three times the night of my last Avonex injection). And I don't drink a lot during the evening. I haven't had any UTIs. When I do go at night it seems like it just drips and dribbles out and stops and starts - takes forever (and at 2 or 3 a.m. that really interrupts my sleep). Does this sound like a bladder problem to you all -- or just incidental?

Comment

Originally posted by andi b View Post
      I am newly diagnosed, just started on Avonex about 4 weeks ago. So, what is a reasonable number of times to have to get up during the night to urinate? One.. two.. or none? When I saw the neuro for the first time, she asked if I had any bladder problems and I said No.

But then I got to thinking about it and there are very few nights that I don't have to get up at least once, sometimes twice (and even three times the night of my last Avonex injection). And I don't drink a lot during the evening. I haven't had any UTIs. When I do go at night it seems like it just drips and dribbles out and stops and starts - takes forever (and at 2 or 3 a.m. that really interrupts my sleep). Does this sound like a bladder problem to you all -- or just incidental?
      I definitely have to go, stop and wait, try to go again, and I do this several times to be sure I'm emptying as completely as I can. If I don't do this, I will have to get up in the night. If I do a good job of emptying, I won't have to get up. I don't always have the urge to go when I'm going to bed, but I know I have to take the time to try 4-5 times while sitting there.

On Avonex night it is harder to do this, as the Avonex seems to dehydrate me.

Hard to say about bladder issues because there can be so many factors. MS is to blame for me, but I am also menopausal, so maybe it is a combination.

Comment

Hello andi b,

What is reasonable or normal for one person might not be for another. If what you are experiencing is a change in your "normal" urinary habits then it's time to talk to your Doctor.

Originally posted by andi b View Post

Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
        X