Really? Till Death Do Us Part...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mamie2 View Post
    If it is the real kind of love for all the deep reasons than a marriage can survive changing diapers. My fiance's parents are in their 80's and he is declining, but his wife would never want anyone but herself to change the diapers. Its her gift to him, maybe her last gift to him as he slowly leaves her.

All4Matt, Bless you. BUT remember to take care of you. Please allow yourself to have peace and self care. Massage. The best thing I did for myself when I had to work was have a housekeeper come in weekly. MS wore me out and so does being a caregiver. I also worked in a massage every other week. I had to let go of shopping for clothes or buying that new car, but it was worth it. For myself and my husband.
    All of this. You're awesome, All4Matt, but please look after yourself as well as Matt.
    Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by All4Matt View Post
      I don't know about you, but when I married Matt, diagnosed in 2002, I took my vows seriously. Part of those vows were when I promised him I would be with him through sickness AND in health. I knew about Matt's MS before we got married.
      I hear of so many people, caregivers, saying that dealing with their significant other's disability is just too hard for them. I have ever heard people say that they just can't handle/take it anymore. What about our spouses though? Do you seriously feel that they choose to have something as horrible as MS? Can I honestly say that Matt had dreams when he was younger of having to walk around with a cane at the age of 35? Don't you think that they would do whatever they could to be cured of this horrible, life taking disease? Of course they would!
      I have been extremely guilty of feeling sorry for myself. I work more than full time in the operating room. I come home and on Matt's bad days, have to clean, cook, and take care of our children. I get tired. There is relief for me though. I should look at it as I GET to work, clean, cook, and take care of my children. Matt would do anything to get his life back. His family back.
      My hope and prayer is that I can be more sensitive to Matt's feelings and needs. I hope the same for you and your significant other.

"By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established." Proverbs 24:3
      awesomely said!!
      Im sure it is hard for the other person to "get" it. hell I dont even get it,and im the one with ms!!
      your awesome tho..
      hugs,
      alyson
      RRMS-2007-2012
      SPMS-2012
      Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
      currently on Rebif

Comment

My personal view on this.

My marrige was not a contract that said I had to stay in a bad situation, or "better or worse" "death do part"

If I change a diaper, or become a care giver it will be beacuse I choose to. Not beacuse of fear of religon or someone else's point of view.

If I divorce, beacuse I Dont want my spouse to change my diaper, I will; with out regret.

Comment

Well we married in sickness and in health too

I care for my wife 24/7 for over 14 years now. yep i manage bowels and everything else with no outside help.

And any hospital stays i care for here there to by her bedside 24/7 and nurses only do the drugs part.

If love runs deep you will stick by your partner no matter what as the bond stays strong.

If it runs shallow well i guess you won't hang around then

we are very happy anyway and take each day as it comes.

russ

Comment

Originally posted by Razgo View Post
            Well we married in sickness and in health too

I care for my wife 24/7 for over 14 years now. yep i manage bowels and everything else with no outside help.

And any hospital stays i care for here there to by her bedside 24/7 and nurses only do the drugs part.

If love runs deep you will stick by your partner no matter what as the bond stays strong.

If it runs shallow well i guess you won't hang around then

we are very happy anyway and take each day as it comes.

russ
            Bless you for being such a wonderful husband.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I do want to thank you for posting this. I have MS and was diagnosed just about a year ago and the guiy I am about to marry knows I have thid disease. Nothing really bad has happened to me, yet, but at the same time, I have been having some problems with this disease and he has been taking care of me. I know it is scary to think that MS can be very unpredictable, but those of us who live with it are really grateful to have people around like you. If more people were as understanding as you, I think we would live in a better world.

Comment

Working...
              X