Can't drive any more..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuzu20 View Post
    She also noted I have a week right leg, numbness and extreme fatigue along with cog fog and as well a foot drop she her self doesn't suspect MS but she is going to rule it out.
    I had that foot drop thing going on for a while, too. But what really put me out of commission on driving was seizure-like episodes, which were unpredictable. Thank goodness that only lasted about 3 weeks. The foot drop persisted but it eventually got better, too, and after 7-8 months I was able to drive again.

It was quite inconvenient, and I was very fortunate to have a couple of good friends who chauffeured me around some. (I was careful not to wear them out). I also live near the bus line and that was a great help. I did a WHOLE lot of walking as well. My hood has stores within a couple of blocks so I was able to get along.

Not to minimize this in the least because it really is a huge hassle but there were some good parts. I lost weight and got in shape from all the hobbling around. I met a number of people on the streets and on the trains and buses. I saw a lot of things on foot that I'd never really noticed before. My dog loved it, too.

One of my favorite memories of that time was the day I was crossing the street and some jerk in a Benz pulled up right in the middle of the crosswalk. He was jabbering a way a mile a minute of his cell phone and was only vaguely aware of the world outside his air conditioned cocoon. It was hot as could be, and I was schlepping along with some difficulty, so as I approached the driver side window I waved my arms and pointed at the sidewalk. "It's a crosswalk," I mouthed.

At first he looked at me like I was a Martian but I waved at him again, and pointed out the lines of crosswalk and his car sitting right in the middle of them. He refused to back up and just rolled his eyes. The light was about to change so I went on around the front of his car, grumbling the whole way.

I still cannot believe he did this, but just as I was passing in front this idiot hit the horn! Scared the daylights out of me. I turned around and hammered my cane down on the hood of his car as hard as I could. You should have seen his face.

Apparently he didn't want any little old lady kung fu, so he just sat there like a fool as I tooled on across. It was a busy street and within moments the cars behind him were blowing their horns for him to move on, and he drove on off. But I got my licks in that day, and it still feels good.

Comment

By the way, I had mono as a teenager, too.

Comment

I am so sorry zuzu. I know you have been going throught a lot. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Just know that we are here for you. (((((hugs)))))

Comment

thanks..

thanks guys for all your comments, means alot. My computer was down again but back again.
          For driving is just on hold for now I am lucky I have some one who will take me where I want to but it's still frustrating. I could take a road test to prove i am ok to drive but I feel like I can't take in all around me like I used to be able to blame it on the cog fog i guess, So its on hold for now...
          Not dx yet, had symptoms now for 4 years. First Neuro App was August 5,10.MRI DEC 8,2010 Finally done. Original MRI was for July 4,2011

Comment

Working...
          X