Can't drive any more..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't drive any more..

I am being dx finally with a neuro and she is sending me to a bunch of drs... One a urologist I am so nervous about. But she doesn't think I have MS not until she sees the MRI. But she is giving me one because I had Mono when I was 15.

Has any one here had Mono in their teens and now have MS or MS symptoms? And also that I have psoriasis may also contribute to MS.
    She also noted I have a week right leg, numbness and extreme fatigue along with cog fog and as well a foot drop she her self doesn't suspect MS but she is going to rule it out.
    I will also be tested as to how my brain functions I have no idea what that will entail. So much information was blasted at me. I had some one with me and that helped because I would have never have remembered it all.

I am also not allowed to drive any more, its only because my right leg is the braking foot and with being really weak she tells me not to drive. Well that took away my last independence. I didn't have much but I could at least drive. Well better safe then sorry. I am soo upset about not driving means I can't go to the early bird swim any more unless someone takes me. and who wants to do that for me at 5;30 am... Sorry this is long but I had to get it out I can't vent at home.
    Not dx yet, had symptoms now for 4 years. First Neuro App was August 5,10.MRI DEC 8,2010 Finally done. Original MRI was for July 4,2011

Sorry to hear about the whirlwind they threw you into, it happens often, unfortunately. It's a good thing really. It's a lot,but you get your answers and proper treatment.Always take someone else with you or take notes, either written or voice recorded. It makes it much easier. You can review the info when you get home or whenever works for you.

I never had mono,but 90-95% of the human population carry the virus that causes it, so I probably carry it.

I'm also sorry about the driving. It's a hard blow. Would hand controls be an option?

Comment

Mono

I had mono as a teenager. What are they thinking about that?

Comment

Originally posted by dseelig View Post
        I had mono as a teenager. What are they thinking about that?

Some believe that mono either causes MS or otherwise has a part in developing it. Lots of research has been done over the years with nothing really solid pointing to it having an effect. There are lots of things that make you go "hmmm" ,though.

Comment

Just because you can't use your right leg doesn't mean you have to give up driving forever. Check into hand controls, you can learn to use them pretty easily.

Comment

I had Mono when I was 18 and was Dx with MS at 32. I just turned 40 and my regular driving finally ended last November. I got hand controls put on my car, an Acura TL, so you don't need any special vehicle as they can put them on any car. They have given me a lot more freedom as I use a wheelchair when I am out the house. I have an ultra lightweight chair that I can get in and out of the car pretty easily. The hand controls are not cheap, about $1,400, but they have made a huge difference in my life. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

If it's your right leg that is too weak for the brake what about your left leg? If you drove a clutch thats the one you would use anyway. Good luck

Comment

Hand controls

I agree with rdmc....using a hand control is a piece of cake to use. My last new car I bought, a hyundia and had a hand control and "suicide" knob installed for free. Hyundai has a program that gives you up to $1000 towards any modifications you need. It cost a total of $1080 to have it installed. Don't lose your independence for something that's so easy to rectify!
                Diagnosed '79 @ age 22. SPMS since '03. Betaseron 4 yrs., Avonex 6 yrs., Tysabri 3 yrs., Present Copaxone & LDN since 1/2010.

Comment

Yep i too had Mono at 17.f

Comment

I have problems with saying that mono causes or develops MS. Too many people have mono in their teenage years and not all of them develop MS.

For your early bird swim--is there someone in the class that could pick you up?
                    MS is not a crisis in my life. It is just a chapter within my life.

Comment

The psoriasis won't lead to MS, but it is an autoimmune disease. So, having one does make it more likely to have another. Kind of sucks.
                      Bill
                      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I had mono at 16. i have heard the same thing about it being linked to ms

Comment

I had mono when I was 10. 95% of people are positive for Epstein Barr Virus (the virus that causes Mono) by the age of 30. I know 95% of people do not get ill with Mono...so, is that the difference? Maybe those who get ill with it are more susceptible to MS?

Wasn't there some study of this using the military?

Comment

I work at a rehab hospital and I know there are many adaptations that allow people to drive without their legs, with just one arm...etc. There are people who can assess you, assess your needs, modify and then train you. No harm in asking! Wishing you the best!

Comment

I had a week in college hospital at age 18--slept and sweated the whole time. Then 27 years later had what I thought was a cold (white cell count down) and a doc tested my EB and said it was way up, and to "watch it".

Next 15 years were a nightmare, no doc even came close to a neuro disease. Then an ENT of all people referred me to a neuro for possible trigeminal neuralgia--and they found the lesions on the MRI.

Comment

Working...
                              X