No announcement yet.

RATE your walking difficulties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before Ampyra my walk varied between that of a 4 and 8 cans of beer drunk, and fatigued me on average days.
    Now 1 to 3 cans drunk would describe my walk and does not fatigue me.
    Being able to walk without concertinaing on not falling is fantastic.

PS. Just to be clear, I’m talking about a drunk walk without the please of drinking.
    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Well...

I cannot stand but transfer by pivot & turn. Been this way for at least 10 years. No feeling from chest down.

Of course I have had MS for 50 years.

KK

Comment

Hey mjan,
        After looking at a couple of these responses, may I suggest you give a "scale" for everyone to use? It could be the typical 1-10 pain scale or perhaps something else. Just my $0.02.

FYI, I believe this was a good thread to start!
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

walking not so good

hi,
          if i'm over tired or overheated or in a flare, i will go to take a step and my leg will not travel with the rest of my body.
          used to be at the knee, now at the hip.
          used to be only the right leg, now left leg is getting in on the act.

not fun. Need a cane for those days, never know when it will happen. so i keep a cane in my car in case i'm at work when it happens.

can't walk in the dark, can't know where to put my feet, have no sense of up or down. balance not good at all.

thanks for asking,
          and listening!

lah
          Nov 2011 Muscle Biopsy Result: "Not enough info to further classify the disease" demyelinating disease of unknown origin

Comment

Since forever...

Drop foot, on the right foot...just every once in a while. I trip over my own foot. I'd say about a 2 or 3 on a bad day, I'll do it repeatedly. Very annoying. Stuff like this is why I think I've actually had MS for more than the definitely 5 years I've had lesions. because I can remember doing that 10 years ago even. Oh well, right?
            D&C 121:7-8 ...peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
              Hey mjan,
              After looking at a couple of these responses, may I suggest you give a "scale" for everyone to use? It could be the typical 1-10 pain scale or perhaps something else. Just my $0.02.

FYI, I believe this was a good thread to start!
              My dear Fishy.. I DID give a scale 1-100 in my initial thread.

Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I guess I walk pretty well, but can't really hurry; stamina problems. My balance is not great;I don't trust it and I have fallen.

I can't turn around fast; will just lose my balance and crash. I don't use a cane, but i have a walking stick which I got when I was at the Grand Canyon in winter. Figured I could use the help as there were icy patches.

I don't dance much anymore; mostly as my legs get so tired and weak. Sigh...
                You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Not real good with numbers either.

My biggest problem is balance and vertigo. I use walls to help get around the house.

I use a cane when outside. Grocery buggy at the store.

If really hot or tired nothing helps but holding on to my DH till I can lay down.

Don't know if it is permanent because I have not taken any DMD's. Might start them soon to see if some of my problems are reversible.
                  "Therefore we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day." 2 Cor. 4:16

Comment

I'd rate my walking at about 75, and it's going slowly but surely downhill from there.

I can toddle around my small house unaided for short periods of time, but I lose my balance and catch myself before falling many times a day. (I had a PT tell me my balance was actually very good in a sense, because even though I start to fall often, I almost always manage to recover even if there's nothing to hold onto). Often I bump into walls and furniture, if they're close by.

Outside the house I use a rolling walker, but only for very short distances due to leg fatigue and pain. Otherwise I use a manual wheelchair.

In addition to balance, fatigue and pain, I have foot drop on the left side, and sometimes my left leg (or less often, the right one) shakes uncontrollably, usually as I try to stand from a sitting position. All of this is permanent; I've had MS for 30+ years, RR to begin with, SP since '04.

Comment

100 - cannot walk at all or stand unassisted
                      Still transferring (barely), using right leg which is getting weaker
                      DX March, 1997 r/r, secondary progressive since 2001, got first powerchair in 2003
                      ~ Becky

Comment

I'm about a 50 as long as I can lay or sit down in between stretches and this depends on the weather. Heat, of course, but the cold affects me as well! Rubber legs in the heat and stiff wooden legs in cold.

Walk w/ a cane outside my home, w/c chair for mall shopping. Spactisity, ataxia, balance, foot drop....

When I have been sitting for awhile, clonus hits big time when I attempt to stand and walk.

2 weeks ago, we had a cool day and I walked for almost a mile! (resting as I went along) I couldn't believe it!!! I was so proud of myself
                        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                          My dear Fishy.. I DID give a scale 1-100 in my initial thread.

Jan
                          Noted, and I apologize, my friend!!!!!

Comment

One thing I DO want to remind everyone is, PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO ASK YOUR NEURO TO SEND YOU TO PHYSICAL THERAPY.

It was only thru intense P.T. (and me doing those exercises at home, in between appointments) that I was able to stop using my cane and start walking on my own again.

PLEASE PLEASE, get some P.T. and some exercise (for those who are able)

Comment

Another ehre not great with numbers.........

Walking was not too bad a few years ago, other than balance type issues. I ahve had flares for many many years, did not KNOW then what they were called. Just that I would ahve a leg or knee problem then it would get better in a few weeks.

CANE....use....sometimes, off and on for years Fell and tore rotor cuff in Jan 07, so doc ORDERED me to use a cane. Few months later getting worse and had to start wearing AFOs (braces) in summer of '07.

WALKER...... forced to use a walker last year, sometimes able to get by with cane or can + a crutch.

POWERCHAIR....doc Rx a powerchair to be used part-time at home due to muscle fatigue.

POWER SCOOTER for outtings. I keep it in the trunk, ready for GoGo..anytime/anywhere. It's beena rreal LIBERATOR! I can go to the store or mall etc and not get sea sick or ahve my legs transofrom into GUMBY STIX!

I had P/T several rounds in 07 and another in 08.

Dr. GOMER

Comment

Working...
                              X