Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RATE your walking difficulties

Hi everyone~!!

Just wondering about folks' walking challenges due to progression of MS.

Are challenges temporary (flairs) or
    permanent symptoms?

Is it a results of: spasticity..paralysis, heat, balance..
    footdrop..fatigue..dizziness..weakness..neuropathi c pain (other) ??

So.. if you could please rate your walking problems with a value of 1-100 where 100 is total loss of ability to walk.

My walking challenge is due to spasticity/fatigue (all the time) and at times balance/dizziness (flairs). I use a cane outside the home and scooter in stores.
    Cannot walk very far.

I Rate my walking:
    40 (spasticity/fatigue,)
    75 (balance & dizziness, temp).

Thanks, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

I have specially the last week, problems with keeping my balance while walking or standing.

I don't have a cane as of yet, but I'm considering in buying one.

I would rate it to 65% considering the progression from the balance and dizziness trouble I'm having.

Hugs,

M

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
      Hi everyone~!!

Just wondering about folks' walking challenges due to progression of MS.

Are challenges temporary (flairs) or
      permanent symptoms?

Is it a results of: spasticity..paralysis, heat, balance..
      footdrop..fatigue..dizziness..weakness..neuropathi c pain (other) ??

So.. if you could please rate your walking problems with a value of 1-100 where 100 is total loss of ability to walk.

My walking challenge is due to spasticity/fatigue (all the time) and at times balance/dizziness (flairs). I use a cane outside the home and scooter in stores.
      Cannot walk very far.

I Rate my walking:
      40 (spasticity/fatigue,)
      75 (balance & dizziness, temp).

Thanks, Jan

Hi Jan,

I supposedly have RRMS, Dx or 2+ yrs with sx going back to mid 90's.... On C since dx.

That said, I have drop foot, right leg which seems to have reached a plateau (hopefully). But right knee has been problematic (led me to bone doc in 07, which later led to the neuro dx). In my mind the weak (floppy, spastic) knee is the major balance problem. Seems permanent.

If my left leg was to become like my right... walking would be a true problem.

So, I rate my walking:
      30 (spasticity effecting balance / right side)

Comment

Hi

I thought I was not too bad, but this has been a rough week and it is only Tuesday. On Sunday, I kind of fell into the organ at church coming back from communion, nice bruise on my arm and yesterday, I fell whiloe putting clothes away. Today I went out without my cane and did okay cause I was in stores with big shopping carts.....Of course, I got really dizzy on my way home and almost tripped up my front steps.

Walking is about 60% what I used to be. The dizziness is still not too bad, so I will say 75% of what I used to be.

Although dd asked today if I felt like I was going downhill fast......After we laughed, I had to admit I do. She did not know about my double vision and the church incident. It is tough for her, She moved away and every time she comes home, I am worse.

Trying to stay optimistic.

Hang in there.

JudySz

Comment

mjan,
          For me, it depends on what is going on, such as illnesses, heat, stress. My walking varies from day to day, but at least now I know what precursors inhibit my ability to walk.
          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Hello Jan

Under optimal conditions, I am able to walk:

*with roller walker

*with cane for short distances only

*in my apartment without aid, holding walls and furniture from room to room

If my core body temperature is elevated, whatever the cause, my legs are unable to move.

If I'm experiencing neuromuscular fatigue (after doing some housecleaning, doing laundry, or after having been on my legs for a time without rest) my legs are unable to move.

I have sensory ataxia (loss of position sense causing instability/balance issues), along with the leg weakness/spasticity combo. I wear a leg brace for foot drop. Without the brace, I really can't "walk". I move my left leg and drag my right one forward, if I have enough strength at the time. (very risky)

I'm not sure how to do the numbers rating. Hope this answers your questions. If there's anything that I didn't cover, let me know

Take care,
            KoKo
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
              Hello Jan

Under optimal conditions, I am able to walk:

*with roller walker

*with cane for short distances only

*in my apartment without aid, holding walls and furniture from room to room

If my core body temperature is elevated, whatever the cause, my legs are unable to move.

If I'm experiencing neuromuscular fatigue (after doing some housecleaning, doing laundry, or after having been on my legs for a time without rest) my legs are unable to move.

I have sensory ataxia (loss of position sense causing instability/balance issues), along with the leg weakness/spasticity combo. I wear a leg brace for foot drop. Without the brace, I really can't "walk". I move my left leg and drag my right one forward, if I have enough strength at the time. (very risky)

I'm not sure how to do the numbers rating. Hope this answers your questions. If there's anything that I didn't cover, let me know

Take care,
              KoKo
              I just quoted what KoKo said so I didn't have to type the same thing. Ditto for me.

I'm not very good at numbers either and as for temporary or permanent I'd have to say temporary because after cooling down and resting I usually can walk again FOR A WHILE. It isn't unusual for the same difficulties to return as soon as I heat up or "do too much" though so if not for being stubborn things could be permanent I suppose.

Ken

Comment

My challenges are permanent I'm afraid (PPMS)

When I was first diagnosed I'd say the weakness/spasticity was 25 and balance was less than that.

Two years later, the weakness spasticity is 55% and the balance is probably 60%. During times of extreme heat/humidity or when I over do it, the percentages are probably closer to 65-70%
                Steve

Comment

Walking is a joke at times

I make light out of my bouncing off the wall, or banging into something and such or otherwise I probably would break down crying when it happens.

I don't have a command of the all the fancy words you all seem to be able to use so freely, so I don't know how to respond except in the simple way that I talk and the simple words that have been used by all the doctors I have seen. (they never used all the terms you all use) It isn't that I don't have a large vocabulary in other areas, but when it comes to MS, no one around me has ever used any of the terms you all use. It doesn't interst me to learn them all because MS is MS and I don't wish to clog my mind with info that I can explain in other words, and still be understood.

Anyway, my legs have been an issue off and on for way before my dx.

Of late, the thought of walking any distance at all, has kept me from wanting to leave the house.

My daughter had a 4th of July party poolside at he home. When I arrived, I found myself in dread thinking about whether I would make a fool out of myself as I walked from the front yard to the back yard and then the pool.

I have numbness, tingling in my legs now, and balance issues too.

I don't wish to say if I think it will be a long term thing because I would rather think it will go away.

Comment

My walking difficulties depend on the situation. If it is occurs earlier in the day and is for a short distance then I would rate my difficulty at a 15. If it is for a longer distance (100+ meters) then I use my cane as my balance really becomes an issue and I tend to drag my left foot a bit.

Overall fatigue really starts hitting me as well. I would then rate my difficulty at a 50. My preferred mode of human powered transportation is a trike.

Comment

Probably 25% on both walking and balance.

I do ok, but am told I look drunk at times..

Comment

If I've been sitting for more than about 15-20 min, I'd rate it higher. Once I stretch & get going, I'm good, probably less than 5.
                        Inside is better than outside - outside I have to watch my feet if I'm on an uneven surface. I seem to be developing a bit of foot drop on the right that is worse if I'm hot or tired. Occasionally balance/vertigo issues come into play. I'm really good at falling but I don't know how many more level 1 sprains my bad ankle can take. One of these times it isn't going to heal & then it's surgery for me - scary.
                        DX 10/2008
                        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Permanent.

Loss of muscle coordination and balance from my very first MS attack. Severe ataxia.

Got my wheelchair with my first flare up.

Later had additional disability with loss of peripheral sensation and numbness in left leg during fourth MS flare. I have a hard time knowing where my left leg and foot are.

Comment

I am a lot like KoKo but need to throw in the sores that I get on my feet due to lack of circulation.

I used to be on medication for the spacticity but stopped due to reactions. So with no meds it is worse but still okay - as long as I am not over hot or over cold. About 65.

I use a wheelchair for any kind of distance or any kind of heat. (The weekend was a killer). Use a cane for other times.

Oh, and it is permanent.

Comment

I, too, am a lot like Koko! But, I don't wear a leg brace~~yet.

Ruby

Comment

Working...
                              X