2010 MSF Cruise for a Cause to Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoanFrances View Post
    Saving to go on trip and having it spoiled because someone is asleep at the switch, stinks. I hope that you were able to enjoy yourself while outside the cabins.

Year ago while doing Mary Kay, I attended their annual convention in Dallas. Being unable to use the motor steps, (can't think of the name) I had to find the elevators in the convention center in Dallas. So I know all to well what you had to have gone through.

I got lost in the convention center and after walking in circles, I was lucky enough to find the Red Cross office in the building. That was the very first time I had to be pushed in a wheel chair because I could not walk another step. Even the person bringing me to the bus couldn't find the right elevator to get to the buses.

It spoiled my trip. I had saved all year to go on that trip with the assurances that they were equipped to handle disabilities. Not one sign to point you in the right direction any where in the building.
    It is a shame. You think you are doing your best to maximize the accessibility and it doesn't work out. My room mate had double even quadrupled the details.

I traveled to London, by myself w/less trouble. I was walking better, but used a scooter, at times.

Ir will be a long time, before I can afford another vacation and it definitely will not be with GET IN THE GAME USA.

Comment

Check and check again

I'm what my dh calls 'anal-retentive' about details.

I go online and look at the ship I'll be on, their room layout and other amenities.

I also ask questions of the cruiseline...this is no favor or freebie; might be a group discount, but they are still paid.

I'd address the problems to the cruise director for your MS group. Remember also he/she is only as good as the people who provide the services.

If they cannot provide services for wheel chair bound they should say so.
      I've taken a few cruises including to Alaska. We had a suite and to me thats the best way to go. Balconies on ships are never very big, even when you get a suite.

I'm not in a wheelchair but if I were i'd probably not take a cruise unless it was shown to me that they could handle any disabled passengers.

Wondering what cruise line it was.

Diane
      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Cruise line

It was Royal Caribbean, but it was the travel agent's issue. The picture shown on the web site showed beds adjacent to the walls, not perpendicular. This was a cruise for people with MS.

The Excursion desk people could use some education. Their idea, as an average person, of what is a short distance to walk is very different from mine.

Comment

Working...
        X