2010 MSF Cruise for a Cause to Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 MSF Cruise for a Cause to Alaska

Just got back. Beautiful scenery, great people, but the arrangements made by the new travel agency were horrible.
    We paid for an upgraded room with a balcony and to have more room.
    What a joke! The clearance between the beds and the walls was a few scant inches, making it next to impossible to get to the other side of the room or balcony. This for 2 women; one using a cane and the other a walker, in the room. There was a whole block of MS people booked into similar rooms on our floor.
    2 young men had to carry their mother from the bed to her wc in the hallways. It was a nightmare and detracted from the enjoyment of the cruise in a major way. Excursions were ill quipped to handle many wc's and scooters.
    Very expensive "accessible" cruise with lots of frustration.

loved the cruise but the transfers to the hotel the ship and eventually from the ship to the airport were horrible. Why would they have people with MS walk to the shuttle at the end of all the busses? And to top it off, people with wheel chairs and scooters had to get help to get on because shuttle's had no lifts!

Comment

I am so sorry for what you had to go through and thank you for bringing this to our attention. Hope there were some enjoyable points still.

However, what are you going to do about this? I mean, MS World and MS societiess could make a point to this cruise and travel companies because its not just MS but other folks with canes, WCs as baby boomers get older.

Its middle age to retirees/seniors who mostly take these trips right?

Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Not this cruise, Jan. The "MS Cruise for a Cause" was started by the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation (MSF) in Florida. It's specifically for people with MS.

Whoever took the cruise, I'm sorry. That's a lot of money to spend for a vacation with a purpose. I'd let them (the MSF) know! I'm sure they'll want to be aware of the problems with the new company handling the particulars.
        “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Gee, sorry to hear that

Saving to go on trip and having it spoiled because someone is asleep at the switch, stinks. I hope that you were able to enjoy yourself while outside the cabins.

Year ago while doing Mary Kay, I attended their annual convention in Dallas. Being unable to use the motor steps, (can't think of the name) I had to find the elevators in the convention center in Dallas. So I know all to well what you had to have gone through.

I got lost in the convention center and after walking in circles, I was lucky enough to find the Red Cross office in the building. That was the very first time I had to be pushed in a wheel chair because I could not walk another step. Even the person bringing me to the bus couldn't find the right elevator to get to the buses.

It spoiled my trip. I had saved all year to go on that trip with the assurances that they were equipped to handle disabilities. Not one sign to point you in the right direction any where in the building.

Comment

The transfers were the only problem with the trip, otherwise it was fantastic! It was so nice to be around others who don't let MS stop them from doing anything. Made some great friends.

Comment

Previous Travel Agent

The previous travel agent that thought of the idea and presented it to the MSF is still doing the MS Cruise, just not with MSF. She does advertise in the NMSS magazine now. Most of the veteran cruisers are still with her, including me. If you want more information go to mscruisers.com

Comment

The expectation is always better than the actual trip!

Originally posted by MSCruiser
                Not sure if you are aware, but the travel agent that started the MS Cruise and took the idea to the MSF is still doing the cruise. Most of the veteran cruisers are going on her cruises still. There is a cruise scheduled for September of this year and next year one to Bermuda and one on the Allure of the Seas in November of 2011 - the newest ship scheduled for it's first sailing in December. I posted this already, but don't see it so hopefully it doesn't double posts.
                Actually, I don't think I could have a BAD cruise unless I fell off the ship. I have had so many disasters happen on vacations, that if I don't have one, I'm confused. I try to keep a sense of humor and forget the fact that no trip can ever really be as fun and relaxing as the ones I took before M.S. But give up? **** no! I'm only in my 40s and I still have a lotta livin' to do before I cash it in and I will push myself every day until I simply can't.

I've always wanted to go to Bermuda. Are these trips discounted for people with M.S.? Do you bring your spouse/family? Think I'll start buying lottery tickets again. I miss trips/even "bad" ones!
                Tawanda

Comment

Prices are great and are on....

Alana is great that's why the veteran cruisers stuck with her. The September cruise is priced great and the 2011 cruises are priced great as well.

Comment

Duh, forgot to list websites where prices are....

www.mscruisers.com and www.funcruiseforacause.com

Comment

The MSF Board of Director is the way to go. MSF probably need to know too. MSF does so many good things they wouldn't take pride in having their people treated this way.

Originally posted by mags815 View Post
                      Just got back. Beautiful scenery, great people, but the arrangements made by the new travel agency were horrible.
                      What a joke! The clearance between the beds and the walls was a few scant inches, making it next to impossible to get to the other side of the room or balcony. This for 2 women; one using a cane and the other a walker, in the room. There was a whole block of MS people booked into similar rooms on our floor.
                      2 young men had to carry their mother from the bed to her wc in the hallways. It was a nightmare and detracted from the enjoyment of the cruise in a major way. Excursions were ill quipped to handle many wc's and scooters.

Comment

Alaskan Cruise

The cruise was very good. My DW and I had an excellent time, really enjoyed the scenery and the other MS folks we met. The cruise line and the MSF/travel agency did very well on the cruise arrive, ship access, excursions, etc. The only problem we found was disembarking the ship and the transfers from the ship took a very long time. Because I had brought a wheelchair along from my DW, the drop off of the scooter was not a big issue, but many others did not have that backup and the communications regarding the transfers was haphazard at best.

Comment

Alana/Cruises

Originally posted by MSCruiser View Post
                          Alana is great that's why the veteran cruisers stuck with her. The September cruise is priced great and the 2011 cruises are priced great as well.
                          I've been on 3 cruises with Alana and wish she had done this one to Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by mags815 View Post
                            Nobody had any info on how to recharge our scooters and we couldn't fit them in the room as promised. My room mate's battery was almost out, so she paid a $75.00 deposit for an extension cord, which she ran from th hallway to the outlet, in our room, having to leave our cabin open all night.
                            Later, I found out that was an outlet at the top of the hallway wall, needing an adapter and not accessible to most disabled or shorter people. Then, much later, we were told that we could charge the scooters at the MSF meeting room.

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                              I am so sorry for what you had to go through and thank you for bringing this to our attention. Hope there were some enjoyable points still.

However, what are you going to do about this? I mean, MS World and MS societiess could make a point to this cruise and travel companies because its not just MS but other folks with canes, WCs as baby boomers get older.

Its middle age to retirees/seniors who mostly take these trips right?

Jan
                              This was a cruise sponsored by the MS Foundation and the travel agent was, Sandy Cline, of Get in the Game, USA, located in Ft. Lauderdale, CA.
                              I have complained to both and will check further redress. Like most of the cruisers, I'm on a fixed income and this wasn't inexpensive by any means.

Comment

Working...
                              X