Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skating reply

Originally posted by Justsayyes View Post
    Today I skated and I really sucked. That's OK, it felt good anyway and I am determined to do better next time.
    Just -

I seem to day this a lot, too!

The big thing for me is that I'm just beginning, and am frustrated with some new skills that aren't happening as fast, or as reliably, as I'd like.

But then I think that each time I step on the ice, I'm gaining some time without a wheelchair or cane, or a little bit of cognitive time ... So I figure no matter how bad the skating is, I've still accomplished something pretty amazing every practice.

I'm a little bummed at the reduced ice time during the summer, so I'm also not progressing as rapidly because of that. But this week I talked with the group lessons coach about what I could practice at home. Which inspired me to clean the apartment so there's more room to practice!

My motto: I'm doing it!

Comment

Originally posted by momoffour View Post
      I'm so glad you started this thread, and I'm glad that I found it today, I was needing inspiration. Sort of down in the dumps the past two days, and frustrated with my MS. Don't get me wrong, I know my case isn't as bad as others, in fact I've been told that as far as MS goes, mine is mild, so I don't want to offend anyone, but still, it's MS and I'm "down" at the moment.

I have been an active person, aerobic step, running, walking, weights, etc and hopefully this is what has made things a little easier for me. I've had MS for a year now and started running again this past spring. I'm just frustrated because it's not getting easier. I was running 10 miles before MS, now it's barely 3, and I'm slow and tired. I know I sound like a baby at the moment, especially when people can't even walk, so just hang in there with me. I shouldn't take things for granted. Running and slipping on the ice, herniating two discs, is what set off my whole MS thing.

Today it's so hot and humid (and has been for the past few days) I haven't been able to run, so I've done some videos inside. I never wanted to give in to the heat either. I love sunshine and heat, and now I'm inside. I went to the gym today and did three miles on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the stair climber. I kept pushing myself and had to call it a day because I started feeling really bad. What do you do when you have days like this?

Anyway, sorry for my griping today, especially with all of these wonderful posts, guess I'm having one of those days, and I need to keep reading your posts to cheer me up!! You are all amazing and so inspirational. It really does give me hope that I'll get there again. Catch me on another day and I'll be better, lol. If you can do it, I can too! Thanks for listening.
      Gets back to the old saying "if life hands you lemons, make lemonade" and I LOVE lemonade. I was not quite as active, but I played basketball followed by indoor soccer. I got really tired (because of other medical problems) and so in addition to raising a family, I decided to go back to school to get a masters. Finishing that and preparing for certification, I was stricken with MS. I could hardly write notes. I got tossed a lot of lemons the year I was diagnosed. Now since I have gained disability status, I am able to do something else I never had the time to do and that is to volunteer. The thing about being a voluntee is that when the MS makes me really tired, I can take off. The coordinators all know that I am liable to not to make it in and so the plan accordingly. If I had my choice, I really like to be playing soccer again, but I guess I'll have to settle with getting a good laugh at the just the thought of me bumbling, rolling, and tumbling up and down the field. I'd be a hoot! Find your lemonade/lime-ade/kool-ade or whatever ade quenches your thirst!
      My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

Originally posted by Nabbosa View Post
        Just -

I seem to day this a lot, too!

The big thing for me is that I'm just beginning, and am frustrated with some new skills that aren't happening as fast, or as reliably, as I'd like.

But then I think that each time I step on the ice, I'm gaining some time without a wheelchair or cane, or a little bit of cognitive time ... So I figure no matter how bad the skating is, I've still accomplished something pretty amazing every practice.

I'm a little bummed at the reduced ice time during the summer, so I'm also not progressing as rapidly because of that. But this week I talked with the group lessons coach about what I could practice at home. Which inspired me to clean the apartment so there's more room to practice!

My motto: I'm doing it!
        Figure skating has to be one of the most difficult sports to master. One day will not be like the next. Skills have to be practiced over and over routinely or you will lose them.
        It takes alot of on ice time to progress, it can be frustrating!

The pluses are huge though. On the ice you are in another world away from everything, no phone calls, no demands, a sense of freedom.

Working on balance has kept me more balanced. Sort of training the brain to balance. Spinning has greatly reduced my motion sickness, again training my brain to accept and react a different way to motion.

Just my theories and my personal take. Have a great time on the ice! Stay cool!

Comment

Originally posted by anomieatlanta View Post
          Hi Genie! I still run. My time has slowed a bit since my dx over a year ago, but I still do a 5K a month.
          Anomie,

I just did a 5k on the fourth! It's getting way to hot for me to run outside though so inside I go! Lol

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by Nabbosa View Post

What's been great for me with the skating is that I'm finding out that I had more fear about what I couldn't do, than actual limitations. The second flare, which caused me to be diagnosed a half year later, was a couple months after being run over - in the equatorial developing country. So I've never been really sure what was MS and what was an injury I'd been favoring. Turns out most all of it has been something I could improve, whether that was injury or not.

So, even today, as I'm about to venture out into 86-degree heat to go work in an air-conditioned coffee shop, you are all giving me a little more courage to figure out my boundaries, instead of just giving up before I even know where they are!
            Nabbosa,

Your comment about being afraid was also my problem! I still have moments when I'm afraid but I find that it's mostly in my head.

I've found my boundaries are much further then even I thought when I was not DX with MS! Keep going!

Genie

Comment

Hi active people!

Well, I finally had to move my running inside. I hope it's not a permanent thing but the temp is 90 here at 8pm. I really dislike the treadmill. In the past it has given my shin splints so hopefully I can avoid that this time around.

For those of you who don't know what shin splints are they're when you shins feel like they're stabbing you and trying to rip out of your legs. :-D lol

I'm also now running half clothed. Between the tank top and the shorts I feel really under dressed! But hey I mean I have to stay cool right?

I hope everyone is doing well and that those in the NE and the NW they're staying cool!!

Genie

Comment

kayaking in flat water

Kayaking in a smooth river! Easy to get in the kayak and row. I have a cord that connects the paddle to my life jacket so I don't drop it in the river. And I do drop everything!
                Close my eyes, feel the breeze while moving downstream with no paddling, hear the birds tweeting and the water. Getting out of the kayak is not pretty. Need help to do it but I'm still ready to go again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GenieFL View Post
                  Well, I finally had to move my running inside. I hope it's not a permanent thing but the temp is 90 here at 8pm. I really dislike the treadmill. In the past it has given my shin splints so hopefully I can avoid that this time around.

For those of you who don't know what shin splints are they're when you shins feel like they're stabbing you and trying to rip out of your legs. :-D lol

I'm also now running half clothed. Between the tank top and the shorts I feel really under dressed! But hey I mean I have to stay cool right?

I hope everyone is doing well and that those in the NE and the NW they're staying cool!!

Genie
                  Hi Genie - I have had similar problems. Temp here in Tx is 90 degrees at nite. While I don't run (that would really be a site to see !) I do walk for exercise. But now you have to walk around 4-6am because after that it's too hot for me and I'm not a morning person to boot. The treadmill was killing my arches, sending me to podiatrist. So now I use eliptical instead of treadmill. Fortunately I can also use our HOA pool and that's better! Keep cool.
                  My Cross To Bear Keeps Fallin Off

Comment

Water Aerobics Keeps me Active

I regularly partake in water aerobic classes at my local gym. It keeps me active, and in shape without getting over heated.

Comment

Originally posted by rinty View Post
                      Kayaking in a smooth river! Easy to get in the kayak and row. I have a cord that connects the paddle to my life jacket so I don't drop it in the river. And I do drop everything!
                      Close my eyes, feel the breeze while moving downstream with no paddling, hear the birds tweeting and the water. Getting out of the kayak is not pretty. Need help to do it but I'm still ready to go again!!!
                      Rinty,

Oh! I'd love to try Kayaking! I think if I get the chance I will soon! Thanks for giving me the idea!

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by KureMS View Post
                        Hi Genie - I have had similar problems. Temp here in Tx is 90 degrees at nite. While I don't run (that would really be a site to see !) I do walk for exercise. But now you have to walk around 4-6am because after that it's too hot for me and I'm not a morning person to boot. The treadmill was killing my arches, sending me to podiatrist. So now I use eliptical instead of treadmill. Fortunately I can also use our HOA pool and that's better! Keep cool.
                        Ya know, the Eliptical bugs my arches lol. I do use it though. Hopefully, I'll get use to the treadmill Or I'll just run at 2am or something hehe.

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by kaclark1976 View Post
                          I regularly partake in water aerobic classes at my local gym. It keeps me active, and in shape without getting over heated.

KA,

You would think any Gym in Florida would have a pool lol. Mine however doesn't. I was thinking of joining the YMCA but having two Gym memberships seems like a bit much.

Genie

Comment

I Run to Stop MS

There is a 'group' sponsored by the Delaware Valley PA Chapter of the National MS Society named I Run to Stop MS. It is very loosely organized but the intent is there. Since I was diagnosed in November this is my first year participating in it. I have basically been doing a bunch of different runs throughout the year wearing an 'I Run to Stop MS' shirt which gets a good response from people during the runs. It actually surprised me the amount of response. I have raised some money for the society and they have a customizable web-page so I keep the people who donated to me up to date on my progress. Next year, I will attempt to get it a little more organized but it has been a good motivator for me. Below is the link if anyone is interested. The first link is to the I Run page and the second is to my personal page so if anyone is interested you can see how I have mine set up.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/cha...-ms/index.aspx

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=13802

One of my favorite quotes:
                            "I run because I can. When I get tired, I remember those who can't run, what they'd give to have this simple gift I take for granted, and I run harder for them. I know they would do the same for me."

Have a great evening everyone.

Comment

Working...
                            X