No announcement yet.

People with MS who are active.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best thing about this thread is that it inspired me to do even more. Many days go by that I want to go to the Y but can't pull it off due to schedules, cars, etc. Since reading this, I just go for a power walk with the little ones in the stroller and the bigger ones on scooters to "keep up." Even if I only stretch and exercise for 20 minutes a day that beats nothing! I used to be a bit apprehensive about work outs thinking I was using up my energy, and wouldn't have the energy for my kids, but it is opposite. When I am exercising, I have more energy.

Comment

Originally posted by GenieFL View Post
      Arjay,

I'm not so happy with high places either lol. I let myself get overheated on a hike in Seattle and I think scared my friend to death. lol I haven't tried my bike yet but that's my next little endeavor to see how my balance is in general hehe. You're doing great! at 57 I hope I'm as active as you!
      Genie,

One of my regular walking buddies is 85, and trust me, she is booking. Last year she crewed for a week on a tall ship as well. So I figure that if somebody with 30 years on me can do this stuff I ought to give it a shot, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelerfan09 View Post
        Been diagnosed for about a year, august. But prior to that dx I was running 3 to 5 miles a day. Lost 40 pounds. Got dx went into a minor depression mode stop. Then started back up in april went into a bad flare with losing ability to use my right arm. Got that back started running 2 weeks ago. Only can do 1.5 to 2 miles.
        This is like my story as well. i was very active before my DX and it was actually the running in the heat that caused my optic neuritis (dx symptom). I started doing water aerobics 2-3 times per week and kept that up for a few years. It was great. I moved to a place with no aqua classes and was basically just afraid to work out outside of the water. However, my impeding wedding got me back into the gym. This time, I decided to work out with a trainer and focus on strength. I do walking outside in cooler weather. I long to run though. Still a little scared of the consequences. I feel much better working out! All around benefits for me. (i am 32, dx 5years, copaxone, then avonex, now rebif - married two weeks ago!)

Comment

Originally posted by ErinElizabethC View Post
          This is like my story as well. i was very active before my DX and it was actually the running in the heat that caused my optic neuritis (dx symptom). I started doing water aerobics 2-3 times per week and kept that up for a few years. It was great. I moved to a place with no aqua classes and was basically just afraid to work out outside of the water. However, my impeding wedding got me back into the gym. This time, I decided to work out with a trainer and focus on strength. I do walking outside in cooler weather. I long to run though. Still a little scared of the consequences. I feel much better working out! All around benefits for me. (i am 32, dx 5years, copaxone, then avonex, now rebif - married two weeks ago!)
          Hey Erin!

You can run! The exercise itself wont cause a flare. I was so scared of this myself but my Neuro told me the worst it can do is cause fatigue. Then you'll feel tired for a few days but nothing else. Assured me I cannot make myself worse with exercise. So, I run! I was so very very scared though and i understand!

If you read my first post my friend stayed on the phone with me while I went for a walk because I was so scared!

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by Splendid View Post
            The best thing about this thread is that it inspired me to do even more. Many days go by that I want to go to the Y but can't pull it off due to schedules, cars, etc. Since reading this, I just go for a power walk with the little ones in the stroller and the bigger ones on scooters to "keep up." Even if I only stretch and exercise for 20 minutes a day that beats nothing! I used to be a bit apprehensive about work outs thinking I was using up my energy, and wouldn't have the energy for my kids, but it is opposite. When I am exercising, I have more energy.

Splendid,

That is great!! I'm so glad this thread has inspired you!

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by arjay View Post
              Genie,

One of my regular walking buddies is 85, and trust me, she is booking. Last year she crewed for a week on a tall ship as well. So I figure that if somebody with 30 years on me can do this stuff I ought to give it a shot, too.

HEHE I will keep you as my inspiration!!

Comment

Hi Everyone!

I'm reading the thread but I've been busy myself with health concerns. Funny enough nothing to do with MS. I am here though and trying to reply as much as possible!

I'm so glad this thread has inspired some and helped people when they needed it!

Have a great weekend and I will respond more later tonight when I have a chance!

Keep up the great work everyone!!

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by MSRSX View Post
                  Great thread! Thanks for starting it I think it is very helpful to see that not *everyone* who has MS is extremely ill and disabled. I know that many are, and the internet does attract the more severe cases... but as a newbie its scary reading only the bad and thinking that my active days are behind me. I do spend a lot of time on the Active MSers sight, it is an inspiration. I feel that keeping active is crucial to building new pathways, maintaining muscle tone and cognitive abilities. I know not everyone can be active, but I think as long as you do what you can (and you can be active in a WC, a lot of it is about attitude) that is all anyone can ask

As for me... i am in better shape now that I have MS than before. I stopped smoking and now that I can walk again (flare of doom lasted from Nov to Jan) I do yoga twice a week and practice at home, I walk a few miles a day. I have never been a runner, but I starting. I can only run for about 2 minutes before I slow back down to walking... but I call it interval training and its all good.

I also love water aerobics, am getting a bike to ride, and own an elliptical that in the hot hot summer and cold cold winter I use daily.
                  MSRX,

I agree with you! I think we need threads like this to show that there are people who are active! I'm glad you agree!

You're doing great and I like you believe I'm more fit now then before the DX. You're doing more then many able bodied people! When people complain to me about being to tired to work out or just can't motivate themselves, I just look at them. lol

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by jazzgirl View Post
                    I'm as active as I can be now, but I don't push the issue. I've had MS for too long (30+ years) and know what I can and cannot do. If you CAN use it, by all means DO. Just pay attention to the signals your body is giving to you, and don't beat yourself up if you find certain things are just out of the question. My husband is an athlete (he's the one in my profile pic!), and I was a dancer. I don't care how much I want it, I just can't dance anymore. It was a LONG time getting to that point, but it did happen. That's the disease, pure and simple.

BTW...I use a wheelchair now, but I specifically had one made that is easy to roll myself...and I do! It's MY exercise!!
                    Jazz,

That is so great! Now that is inspiring! Even with limitations you're still active! Thank you for sharing your story!

Genie

Comment

So how is everyone doing this week? Anything new going on?

Comment

Hi Genie! I still run. My time has slowed a bit since my dx over a year ago, but I still do a 5K a month.

Comment

Genie,

I was a runner prior to being diagnosed. When my walking went downhill, I had given up on running again.

Then April 24 of this year, I decided to give it a try. I went out and ran a mile and am now up to a 5k (3.10 miles). Don't ever give up hope of running again. Your mind has alot to do with what you want to do. I found that if I start out running, I'm good for the distance. If I walk then run, it's not so good. It's taken a lot of hard work to get back to running and I am so very grateful. I've had to train very hard.

My goal is to bike the first day of Oklahoma's Bike MS ride and then run a 15k (9.3 miles at the end of October). I feel very confident I'll be able to accomplish both goals.

Mary

Comment

Originally posted by anomieatlanta View Post
                            Hi Genie! I still run. My time has slowed a bit since my dx over a year ago, but I still do a 5K a month.
                            Anomie,

I'm doing a 5k tomorrow! I'm slow in general so I have no where to go but up right? hahaha!

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by marybenes View Post
                              Genie,

I was a runner prior to being diagnosed. When my walking went downhill, I had given up on running again.

Then April 24 of this year, I decided to give it a try. I went out and ran a mile and am now up to a 5k (3.10 miles). Don't ever give up hope of running again. Your mind has alot to do with what you want to do. I found that if I start out running, I'm good for the distance. If I walk then run, it's not so good. It's taken a lot of hard work to get back to running and I am so very grateful. I've had to train very hard.

My goal is to bike the first day of Oklahoma's Bike MS ride and then run a 15k (9.3 miles at the end of October). I feel very confident I'll be able to accomplish both goals.

Mary
                              Mary,

Good for you!! I agree with you that if I stop and walk it's harder to start running again. I guess it's not just me. Good luck with the MS bike ride!! I did the walk here in Florida.

I think you will be able to accomplish both goals as well!! I'm still running Mary I think you confused me with Erin Although, your words are great for both of us!

Genie

Comment

Thanks, Genie!

This really is the greatest thread! I am also fortunate to have mild MS, so some of the message boards were very scary for me when I was first diagnosed. That said, it's also been helpful to me to see how some MSers who have greater physical or cognitive challenges persevere, too.

For all the runners - I've never run, but during both of my exacerbations, I continued being incredibly active and didn't suffer any consequences. Both were before I was diagnosed, and during the first I was biking at least 5K through a mountainous region daily. The second time, I was living in an extremely hilly equatorial region at 4000 ft and I was walking at least 5 K per day as transportation.

What's been great for me with the skating is that I'm finding out that I had more fear about what I couldn't do, than actual limitations. The second flare, which caused me to be diagnosed a half year later, was a couple months after being run over - in the equatorial developing country. So I've never been really sure what was MS and what was an injury I'd been favoring. Turns out most all of it has been something I could improve, whether that was injury or not.

So, even today, as I'm about to venture out into 86-degree heat to go work in an air-conditioned coffee shop, you are all giving me a little more courage to figure out my boundaries, instead of just giving up before I even know where they are!

Comment

Working...
                                X