No announcement yet.

People with MS who are active.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Post. I was diagnosed last summer and nothing has changed in my life except the diagnosis and taking Rebif. I still work out every day for over an hour, the same as I did before the diagnosis.

Originally posted by GenieFL View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm looking for people with MS who are still active and want to share that with others who are active on the forums. I'm still active and run every other day. I'd run every day if I wasn't doing weights and strength training on the off days. I'm training to do the Boston Marathon in April 2011 for MS.

I don't want to offend anyone, that is not my goal, but I thought a thread talking about active people with MS would not only help those of us who are active find support, but encourage those newly diagnosed that MS is not a end all.

I find that sometimes people focus on the negative and not the positive. I think we should all encourage each other to be active.

So, who else out there is active and wants to start talking about it?

I'm Genie 32 years old and a recent runner. I had just started running regularly before my flare in June which was what lead to my MS diagnosis. I just started again in January hard core finishing the c25k program and now just training and running. I live in Florida (ugh) and it's hot here lol.

Anyone else?

Genie

Comment

Yay! Thanks Genie. I am one of those very blessed people who can still workout after being diagnosed in 1988. I am 53 and still exercise on the treadmill and eliptical 6 days a week!!! Maybe it's the habit I started so long ago or my determined spirit. It is getting harder, but baby I'm keeping on keeping on. As my youngest says, "That's the way I roll!"! Thank you for this.

Comment

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
        Genie, Cheryl, and other active MSers, there already is a website: ActiveMSers.org

ActiveMSers is designed to help, motivate, and inspire those with multiple sclerosis to stay as active as possible—physically, intellectually, and socially—regardless of physical limitations.

I started the not-for-profit website four years ago when I was diagnosed. You'll find a forum, tons of tips and tricks, a helpful newsletter, and loads of motivation. We have marathoners, cyclists, kayakers, snowboarders, hikers, travelers, swimmers, hunters, daily exercisers, adventure racers, body builders, etc.

Enjoy!

Dave Bexfield, ActiveMSers

Dave!

That is great to know!! I"ll have to check it out!

Genie

Comment

Hi everyone!

I am so glad I posted this thread! There are many of us out there that are still active! I think it's great to focus on what we can do and show others that it is possible.

Even if you're in a WC you can be active!!

Political - I think this is a long overdue thread!

Jenny - Same here, not much has changed and I've gotten more active to be honest. hehe

Cheryl - Good to see you here! I'm moving to Seattle next year we can start doing marathons together.

Jade! - I'm doing a 5k on the fourth as well. We can be long distance 5k buddies.

Hunt(AKA Dave) - I'm so glad you're active! People think a WC means you can't be active not so! What do you hunt?

Kippy - I'll be there April 2011 mark the calendar!

Justacowgirl - Ok I'd be exhausted if I did all that with or without the MS!

Fuzzy - We'll walk together! Thanks for the cheers! Hehe

Sports - Active is active! Even if it is walking! Trust me when I say I wasn't a runner before either. I still don't feel like one but I'm out there.

Roo - I had to wait until I felt better as well. Once you do you'll be back to what you're use to soon!

Tommy - The main thing is you're still moving and being active. That is the great thing! You know your limits and you stay within them. I know it can be a bit frustrating when you can't do everything you want. I understand completely. At least you didn't get so frustrated you gave up everything. Good for you!

Dutch - We could call it that!! I don't know how to change the topic but maybe we could re-post it next week with that title! I know what you mean about the cooler temps. I'll be moving to Seattle next year and I cannot wait!! Florida is trying to slowly kill me I think. lol

If I missed anyone I'm sorry! I went for a long walk tonight with my friend and we go late to avoid the sun and heat. I hope everyone had a great Saturday and have a great Sunday!

Genie

Comment

Originally posted by roo613 View Post
            If I can get my flares under control, I will go back to my normal activitiy.

I am 33, and even after diagnosis this past January, I was still doing step aerobics, pilates, etc. 3 to 4 days a week at the Y. I am itching to get back to normal workouts!!!

roo,

Ironically, was in the best shape I'd ever been in my life, planning to be a very active Senior (when I got to seniorhood). I can't wait to get back either. I'm still paying dues at the Y without going... I'm waiting to stabilize - I suppose I need to just start.

Anyone got any tips on getting back in, or how long you waited?

Comment

New ice skater

Super idea for a thread!

I was diagnosed January 2008, but had my first exacerbation in 1996.

Since diagnosis, I've been trying to find an exercise or sport that would be good for balance. I'm not really inspired by most things that keep you in one place - treadmills etc. AND I needed something that wouldn't cause me to overheat. During the Olympics, I suddenly thought: BALANCE + COOL AIR = ICE SKATING

I signed up for my first ice skating lesson at a rink near my office in March. Last week at my lesson, I was complaining to my coach that I'm not advancing as quickly as I want - she doesn't know I have MS, but does know I was worried about potential balance issues. She keeps telling me about other students who've gone much more slowly, and how much progress I've made.

I try to skate 3 times a week plus my lesson. It's really challenging, but I really like it. I think about my form so much that I don't get concerned with the repetition or the sweat. So much better than running ever was!

Also, I have to say that I am really proud of myself. I've never been much of an athlete - a bike commuter when I lived in a mountainous area, but never much of a runner or soccer player or whatever.

Oh - and I'm 40 years old. Never too old to start! We have lots of adult beginners here in Chicago! Maybe we should form an MS synchronized skating team - we could all fall together!

Comment

Been diagnosed for about a year, august. But prior to that dx I was running 3 to 5 miles a day. Lost 40 pounds. Got dx went into a minor depression mode stop. Then started back up in april went into a bad flare with losing ability to use my right arm. Got that back started running 2 weeks ago. Only can do 1.5 to 2 miles. Found out I'm diabetic and the round of steroids kicked my butt! Weaker due to the flare getting my strength back slowly. Hopefully I can do enough to enter 5ks and maybe more. So seeing people running marathons is very encouraging to me knowing that if I'm able to do these things I can accomplish my goals!
                Dx: 08/09

Copaxone: 09/09

Comment

Marathon for MS?

Genie,

You are doing Boston for MS? Is that like Team in Training (for Leukemia)? I ran a couple of marathons prior to my diagnosis. I want to head back to Chicago this fall. I would love to run for MS. Let me know.

Comment

[QUOTE=GenieFL;1232719]Hi everyone!

I am so glad I posted this thread! There are many of us out there that are still active! I think it's great to focus on what we can do and show others that it is possible.

[QUOTE]

I'm a huge believer in doing what you can when you can. But I felt like a caveat is needed when you mentioned showing others what is "possible."

It is only "possible" if your MS has allowed it. If you've won the MS lottery, so to speak, and don't have PPMS, or some devastating relapse that leaves you severely disabled, then your possibilites are greater than others.

Nothing wrong with encouraging others on to activity and accomplishments, but there are those for whom those types of activites are not "possible" but are "impossible," and they should never be made to feel like they've failed because they're not "trying."

I'm really grateful for what I can do, but find that I still have a tendency to compare myself to others, and then am not content with the situation in which I find myself.

All that to say, control is an illusion, but why you can, live life to the fullest, and if you're fortunate, the MS monster will remain at bay!

Comment

As rdmc stated "Control is an illusion."

No matter what you do or what you think, this disease is in control.

I am very pro exercise. I use an Elliptical, Resistance Bands, Leg weights and the exercises I learned in Physical Therapy (PT).

I do not run.

My limit when walking or on the Elliptical is 2 miles and it has been that way since my first exacerbation, which got me diagnosed, in 1985.

I keep to my goal of 2 miles...sometimes I make it and sometimes I don't. Anything is better than nothing.
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Very Up-lifting post, thank you G_FL.

I read all the responses with interest and found comments that made me smile throughout. So here's my few cents....

I cannot use treadmill or run, drop foot and weak knee on same side make that an issue.

But elliptical and stair climb are working out for me. I'm slowly improving the elliptical on time, distance and resistance. Key is slowly.

I also do free weight, and use most equipment at gym, 3 or 4 days a week @ 70 minute sessions after a warmup.

I noticed or am blessed (so far) with not being effected by the heat from summer or the internal heat from a reasonably strenuous cardio workout. Although my foot / knee work better if I rest for 15 minutes after elliptical.

Background; I'm male, now 60, dx two years, but 12 years or more with MS symptoms. Was never really out of shape, and like someone else mentioned, I find myself doing more now than I used to.

One last thing. I am better mentally and spiritually having to attempt to do something that I use to take for granted.

It takes longer, I'm not as quick or strong, but the will power workout is VERY rewarding.

Comment

I'm 52 and have had MS at least 10 years. I've never been a runner (unless you count the sprints when I take my granddaughter to school & we're running late), but I walk 3 or so miles several times a week. I'm probably as fit now as I've ever been.

I run my own bookkeeping business, look after my grandkids several days a week, take care of the house, do yard work, etc. Until a year ago, when I started LDN, heat intolerance was my biggest MS obstacle. Yesterday I went to the beach (no shade anywhere) to watch an air show between 11:00 and 1:00 and didn't have any problems.

C

Comment

I was dxed 10 years ago at 50. It didn't stop me from exercising and working full time until I was able to reitire early 7 years later (btw, my MS was not the reason why I retired. My company just offered a nice fat incentive to encourage thosw with more than enough retirement years/time to do so).

I'm having my my ups and downs for sure with MS but I do try to keep as active as possible in between those times.

Recently that has included getting a part-time job and commuting by trike (three wheel adult bike) to this gig.

P.S. Dave above beat me to the punch by mentioning the "ActiveMSers website. Great forum for those MSers still active in sports or some other physical activity, like me.
                            "It's easier to be critical than correct."- Disraeli

Comment

Thanks everyone for this encouraging thread!! I'll be 63 in a couple of months. No longer running, but I still maintain some exercise inspite of my dizziness and narcolepsy--not exactly long distance symptoms!!

One thing I did was wear down a walking track in one of my outer dog yards--16 times around is a mile. I'm stubborn enough when I'm too spaced out to leave my property to walk the yard while fuzzy and spacy. My 2 biggest dogs go with me and I do as much as I can in small sessions thru the day and usually get a mile in.

Comment

M.S. Woman Lori Schneider climbs Mt. Everest

As Popeye would say, "well blow me down!"

This thred, especially the reference to the Boston Marathon, led me to wonder if anyone with M.S. had ever climbed Mt. Everest. Low and behold, I did an Internet search, and somebody did! It was a woman, too (I'd provide the link to the article I read, but I know we're not allowed to do that)! I believe she did this 10 years after her diagnosis. If she hasn't written a book, she should. According to the article, she is the first person with M.S. to ever climb Mt. Everest, but maybe not the last (but don't look at me!).
                                Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                                X