No announcement yet.

Wondering about flu shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the key with my neuro's opinion is live shots when necessary.

I do humanitarian aid work overseas, sometimes where yellow fever is a real risk, or in a country where yellow fever vaccination is required. So it's a risk/benefit equation. It is better for me to have the vaccine than get the disease, or perhaps most accurately, to limit my vacations and aid work because of MS.

Maybe because I am lucky I have not had any adverse reaction to any live vaccine, nor any worsening of my MS.

Comment

Sorry, I think I missed that part and didn't realize that you did overseas work, too.

I can understand how the vaccine risk in this case could be much less than the risk of contracting the disease itself.

I think under normal circumstances (hmm, do any of us MSers even have normal circumstances ?!) MSers are generally recommended to NOT get a live vaccine and that is what the rest of us were trying to say.

You and your neuro must be carefully weighing and balancing !

Comment

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
        I think the key with my neuro's opinion is live shots when necessary.

I do humanitarian aid work overseas, sometimes where yellow fever is a real risk, or in a country where yellow fever vaccination is required. So it's a risk/benefit equation. It is better for me to have the vaccine than get the disease, or perhaps most accurately, to limit my vacations and aid work because of MS.
        For the sake of this thread I believe it's important for those considering a flu vaccination to know they should not use the flu mist (nasal) as it is a live virus but the flu vaccine is okay to get unless there is a reason (allergic reaction, ect) not get one.

onlyairfare,

I do agree when traveling outside the US it is necessary to be vaccinated regardless of the circumstances. My son spent 2 months this summer in South East Asia so I do understand the need for vaccinations.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I've got an appointment with my pcp Thursday. I have my Tysabri infusion tomorrow. After my last Tysabri infusion, I got really achy, fluish type, but without the fever. I had intended for this pcp appointment to ask for the flu vaccine, but I may wait until my next appointment if I'm achy from my Tysabri infusion.
          Diagnosis: May, 2008
          Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Good info on this.

Snoopy, thank you for the info on this. I'd forgotten about the live virus being okay.

Diane
            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I have gotten the Flu Shot every Year since my DX. I got the H1N1 shot. The H1N1 gave me a sinus infection that I thought was horrible. I haven't had a sinus infection like that in years. Last year, the Flu Shot made me sick. I was nauseous. I did not eat all that day because I did not think I could handle it. I went home after work, went to sleep. I woke up after five or six hours on the couch, and had trouble getting up. I had to crawl to the bathroom. The next morning I was fine though. I don't know if I will get the Flu Shot this year or not. I get them free where I work.

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post
                onlyairfare - that is interesting.

My neuro and PCP both told me no live vaccines - even when I was not on a DMD - because it could trigger a flare.
                MY PCP AND NEURO TOLD ME THE SAME THING.

I do take a flu shot every year,but I did end up having the flu last fall. I guess I didnt take it in time,and had already contracted it. It wasnt to bad.. just told me longer to get over it. I was in bed for 3 weeks!!
                RRMS-2007-2012
                SPMS-2012
                Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
                currently on Rebif

Comment

Oh no - that is awful.

I just got mine this morning!

Doctor recommends that all family members in my house get the flu shot to provide better immunity for me.

Comment

It really depends on yourself, when ever I get the flu shot always got very ill an d ended with walking amora(sp) twice so stoped getting it awhile back myself, seems even wiser now with ms factoring in

But guess it comes down to your interaction with peple also if you should or shouldnt get it. 'The more you interacted with the more likely you are to get it.

Do what you feel is right.

Comment

It is a choice for everyone. (Except that I'm going to make my family get it - they have no choice !)

I also have an AI blood disorder that puts me in the immuno-comprised category.

That is more the reason for the flu shot than my MS, for me anyway. Plus I have teenage kids who can bring home anything from school.

It's best that I don't get the flu and possibly have an MS flare up; or have problems fighting it off because of the blood disorder.

Comment

My issue with the (non live) flu shot is if the Docs will pick the right strain for that year.
                        I've had flu shots in the past where I'd still get the flu. Most years I haven't bothered and usually get some minor variation of the flu and that's that.
                        My new GP Doc was asking if I wanted the shot, I told him I wasn't sure and asked if he could check with Neuro Doc first.

Comment

That's how I feel about my DMD ! I hate to take it knowing that it may not be doing anything to help me, and in the meantime I am constantly sore and uncomfortable and look like a walking bruise.

I do take the flu shot though because it is only once a year and doesn't have nasty side effects. So if it doesn't help, oh well. But if it does help - that would be a huge benefit to me.

Comment

FYI

I hope everyone also gets the updated "whooping cough aka Pertusis" shot. I didn't even know whooping cough still existed until I came down with it in Sept of 2007. It was still so rare that it took several doctors 6 weeks to figure out what the heck was wrong with me. Needless to say, I was in really bad shape by then. I spent 5 days in a quarantined hospital room, the first 24 hours in ICU cuz they thought they may have to put in a trach tube. This was before I was diagnosed with MS and my neuro thinks whooping cough was most likely my main MS trigger. It's recommended to be vaccinated every 10 years.

Comment

Shot or not to ...

This is an individual decision and must be based on what YOUR neuro and PCP says is safe. I cannot receive the flu shot at all, because I have a wacky immune system and the last three years I have not received the shot. My whole family and my co-workers did however, to help alleviate the possibility they'd get it and pass it to me.

Now, just to note, I've had breast cancer, and this was probably a deciding factor for my neuro because of chemo, multiple surgeries and radiation. Always, always ask your docs. They're there to answer your questions, and know how outside influences (germs, viruses, etc.) affect your MS.
                              (climbing off my soapbox) LOL...
                              The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.

Comment

I get a flu shot every year. If you get the flu the fever can cause a flair.
                                Nona Judy

Comment

Working...
                                X