Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering about flu shot

Hi everyone

I was just dx'd last wednesday although my neuro suspected it was MS for the last year and a half, but finally got lesion on my brain where they could definitively say it was MS.

Anyway, doc told me he was putting me on Betaseron and I left. I have so many questions.

Should I get a flu shot? Does it help or hurt....anyone have any experience or suggestions.
    Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
    RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

General Health

Are you asking if the flu shot will easy sx of dmds? If so, I can't answer that...

But..

I saw my PCM last week. Although I'm not on DMDs at this time, he told me to maintain my general health by continuing all immunizations, routine blood work, preventive check-ups with cardiologist, urologist, etc. He gave me an rx for flu and pnenomia vaccines.
    "Tona Naze"
    Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

I've been told to get the flu shot because the flu can supposedly (I haven't had it since I was diagnosed) cause a major flare.

Comment

My PCP encourages all immunizations as I am considered "immuno-suppressed" from a blood disorder. Now that I have MS, we still proceed with everything unless it is a LIVE vaccine.

I have been told that MSers should never take any live vaccines.

I get the flu shot every year to prevent flu.

Like oso49 said, I don't believe the flu shot would help any flu-like side effects of a DMD because you don't truly have the flu.

Comment

Not if it is Live vaccine! Talk to your neuro bc I have gotten different info but always told avoid Live ones

Comment

The flu shot is recommended for those with MS. The flu shot is not a live virus.

The nasal mist is a live virus and should not be used by those with MS.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Me too, but why exactly? Can it cause a real or pseudo exacerbation?

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                Me too, but why exactly? Can it cause a real or pseudo exacerbation?
                Hi BigA,

Any virus, flu or infection can cause a Pseudo-Exacerbation (not a true exacerbation). There have been reports of true relapses, but I believe pseudo-exacerbations are more common.

If you get the flu not only will you be sick as a dog but you will also be dealing with an increase of MS symptom at the same time...not fun.

There are those who do not get flu shots for different reasons, I always get one. Even those on the Disease Modifing Drugs can get the flu shot.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

The following is my understanding of flu vaccines as well as my personal experience. So...take it for what it's worth

I have MS, type 2 diabetes, asthma, and autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's). Am over 60 (turned 61 just yesterday lol). I get a flu shot every year without any problems. The vaccine is a NOT a live virus so you cannot get the flu from the injection. BUT you may have mild reactions (red sore area at injection site) and may run a low grade fever. It does take a couple of weeks for the antibodies to build up in your system so if you are exposed to the flu prior to or during the couple after getting your injection you might have caught the "bug".

With a compromised immune system, and other health concerns I'd rather take a chance WItH the vaccine vs the greater risk of the flu and it's potential for complications.
                  Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Took Flu shots while on Avonex

And never had a problem with them. I was always too old for the nose ones.
                    techie
                    Another pirated saying:
                    Half of life is if.
                    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                    Dogs Rule!

Comment

I was always told to get the flu shot, especially when H1N1 came around. It is said that the flu, especially H1N1, can cause neurological complications, or at least that it was I was told at the flu shot clinic - when it was a shot in and of itself, and the shots were limited on who could get it, a chronic neurological condition was all that I needed to tell them.
                      Diagnosis: May, 2008
                      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you to all who posted a reply! I am so very new at this and have so many questions. It's not easy, so I appreciate all the help everyone has given me so far
                        Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
                        RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
                        Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

All my docs agreed I should get the flu shot - not even a second thought. Four or five days of high fever and terrible body aches one gets with the flu? No thanks!

My neurologist has said that I can take live vaccines when necessary since I am not on any DMD, and when I was on a DMD it was Copaxone, which is an immune-modulator not an immune-suppressant.

It has really applied to me only with regard to the shingles vaccine (my neuro said yes, but that is because I am not on any DMD now), and the yellow fever vaccine. Yellow fever is necessary only if one travels to certain countries where it is required.

Otherwise, most of us had those live vaccines, or the diseases they now prevent, back when we are kids, so we are now immune; no vaccines required!

Comment

onlyairfare - that is interesting.

My neuro and PCP both told me no live vaccines - even when I was not on a DMD - because it could trigger a flare.

I actually suspect that my first flare may have been triggered by the live nasal mist flu vaccine (the only time I had the mist instead of the shot). But we have no way to prove it because my symptoms at the time were diagnosed as a pinched nerve. Within two months of those symptoms and the flu vaccine, I had ON and got my MS diagnosis.

I don't think I've heard anyone else on this board say that a live vaccine was OK when not on a DMD but I would like to hear from anyone else if they were told it is OK.

Sometimes doctors have differing opinions - it is good to take them all into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by cosake View Post
                              I don't think I've heard anyone else on this board say that a live vaccine was OK when not on a DMD but I would like to hear from anyone else if they were told it is OK.
                              I have never used a DMD and have always been told no live vaccine.

Quote from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society:

"FluMist® is a live-virus flu vaccine(sometimes called LAIV for "live attenuated influenza vaccine”) that is delivered via a nasal spray. This live-virus vaccine is not recommended for people with MS"

This is the URL for reference to the above quote:
                              http://www.nationalmssociety.org/liv...011/index.aspx
                              Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X