Balance Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beingmindful View Post
    Is there a specific type of physical therapy for balance, or a specific specialty in PT for MS? We live in a small town with a PT center, but to my knowledge it is mostly for orthopedic issues. Should we contact an MS center in a larger metro area, or can any physical therapist help my DH with his balance issues?

Thanks,
    I think it depends on the cause of the balance issues. My balance training was just on rocker boards, and doing activities on one foot - I'm not to the point yet where dizziness accompanies with it. And my MS doc said the best way to improve balancing on one foot is to do it, period. It was PT actually for my ankles, but ankles deal with a ton of balance problems. They also had me sitting on a ball, keeping my balance that way.
    Diagnosis: May, 2008
    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

This is a stupid question maybe....BUT....do you all have balance issues without the dizziness?
      I have been tipping and leaning or having to catch myself and I am not dizzy.
      DX 10/26/11

Comment

ValerieM

In response to your question I do not always have dizziness along with balance issues. In fact I have very few dizzy spells and have balance issues daily. When I do have dizzy spells I know not to even try and walk.
        Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
        Babe Ruth

Comment

Yes when I have my dizzy spells I know it is a lazy lay in bed and crochet kind of day...I hold the wall up , as my daughter likes to say, just walking to the bathroom.
          DX 10/26/11

Comment

Originally posted by valeriem2220 View Post
            This is a stupid question maybe....BUT....do you all have balance issues without the dizziness?
            I have been tipping and leaning or having to catch myself and I am not dizzy.
            My ataxia is very rarely combined with dizziness.
            At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

Oh yes, I have those days as well. Yesterday was challenging, but today is a fabulous day.

Hope you are better very soon.

Lbj

Comment

Originally posted by oso49 View Post
                I have some equilibrium issues from time to time, but lately I've been experiencing somthing I can't figure out.

Whenever I walk down a wide or narrow hallway, my body starts leaning/turning to the left. I have to exercise a conscious effort to keep from running into the wall.

Anybody else out there????

Thank you!
                Oh boy.. I'm bad about this too. It's worse when I'm stressed/overheated. I lean to the right though. I'll just be walking and suddenly start leaning/falling to the right. It's annoying. In the morning (before DX) I was able to get up and make my way through the house without touching a thing.. in the last year I smack into walls, doors, everything possible even though I know where everything is and I think I'm missing it. My family and I get a good laugh out of my morning routine because I walk through the hallway bouncing off the walls and look like a drunken zombie. Inject some humor into it, and even though it's frustrating and painful sometimes the humor helps make it bearable. ^_^
                Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
                Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

I was laughing at my balance issues and my sudden muscle spasms a few weeks ago with my best friend. Suddenly she got silent and said...." I don't find this funny" I know she is just worried about me...
                  I just reassured her by saying...."I have to laugh at my moments like this or I would be crying all the time"
                  She understood what I was telling her and now she laughs with me....
                  DX 10/26/11

Comment

I have these same issues. Glad to know I am not alone. These issues are what got me diagnosed. They thought I had a stroke and did an MRI. Small blessing I guess.

CrazyCatLady
                    MS Does Not Define Me.....My Love of Tea Does! LOL!

Comment

Well spoke too soon. drats. Woke this am with the entire front of my leg numb, and my back of my left ankle did not want to co-operate with the rest of my foot.

determined not to let it stop me, I put on my "good" walking shoes and weaved and bobbed out to our honda. I opened the door, sat in the front seat and watched my daughter til the bus came. I then walked as quickly as we can to the security of the house, where I clung to the wall for all it was worth.

As I got to the door, I wondered if my neighbors think I am a binge drinker. Oh well, like ya'll said sometimes you just gotta laugh to keep from crying.

For me this is usually free of dizzy spells. I usually get dizzy when I over do it with the heat. It's always a great combo. dizzy, nauseous, and tired as heck.

hope you are better very soon.-- and the dang heat goes bye bye.
                      LBJ

Comment

balance

Hey waydownsouth and dave...i'm from bama too. I also have the balance issues and totally sexy drunk walk.
                        Gotta keep my sense of humor. Hoping for better days for ya waydownsouth....and for all of us too.

Comment

Working...
                        X