family w/ms ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
    I agree with you and fwiw I think a family history of other autoimmune diseases should be noted also. These things don't appear in a vacuum, imo.

It really frustrates me when Doctors aren't forthcoming with this information especially when people with MS are thinking of having biological children.
    HiyaJules,
    For those of you who don't know, me and my cousins with M.S. have been part of an on-going study at the University of San Francisco to study genetic & M.S. My relatives without M.S. were examines as well as a control factor. The latest paperwork I received definitely indicates a genetic link. Since I am part of the study, I'm one of the first people to receive the results, but I'm sure there will be more information forthcoming within the general M.S. community. I am one of 5 kids to have the disease in addition to my mother, which probably does indicate that this is more of a recessive trait (like blue eyes) that I was unfortunate to inherit.

Most people surmise that it is an environmental factor that finally triggers the onset of M.S., but most certainly there are biological indicators showing that certain people are more at risk than others.

I am now going to take place in another broader study regarding autoimmune diseases in general. People have speculated there is something similar triggering such diseases (R.A., Lupus, Crohns disease, Psoriasis, etc.). If we find a cure for one, maybe we'll find a cure for all. Crossing my fingers and hoping our descendants will be spared of such vile diseases...
    Tawanda

Comment

I was diagnosed in my early 50s.

I was 51 when an occupational health dr at work (saw him for something unrelated to MS) suggested I see a neurologist for some symptoms I mentioned. Went through all the usually testing, brain MRI, evoked potentials, spinal tap. All the tests were "positive" leading to the diagnosis "probably MS". About year and a half or so later I had a new area of involvement with additional lesion found in cervical spine MRI which made changed the diagnosis to "definite MS" and so went on Rebif at that time. My symptoms are mostly sensory in nature with some light balance issues. Though it was a fluke that I ended up at the neurologist I know I had some of these symptoms as far back as the late 1970s....it's just they were so slight I never thought to get checked out.

So....all this to say, yes, people get diagnosed in their 50's, probably more often than you realize.

You should be a great support to your sister with her new diagnosis. Wishing you both well. God bless you.
      Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

oops, meant to add

I forget to include the fact that I had a cousin who was one year older than I and was diagnosed with an aggressive form of MS (they thought at first it was Guillaum Barre (sp?))...but it was optic neuritis. Anyway, she was in her late twenties when diagnosed and that was back in the late 1970's. She lived less than 10 years after diagnosis and died in a care facility...she was in her mid thirties. That was before they had the DMD medications that we have today. Though I have a mild form of the disease, and am often tempted to blow off taking my Rebif, I remember my dear cousin who didn't have those options. I figure I'm blessed to be able to do "something" for myself....and so I take those darn shots like a good girl.
        Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

bammaw and everyone else

thank you so much for all your support and input i really appreciate yall more than you know i will give her all the support i can and maybe i can talk her into going to our local support group as well that is after i teach her how to use a computer thanks again take care of yourselves and GOD BLESS

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
            HiyaJules,
            For those of you who don't know, me and my cousins with M.S. have been part of an on-going study at the University of San Francisco to study genetic & M.S. My relatives without M.S. were examines as well as a control factor. The latest paperwork I received definitely indicates a genetic link. Since I am part of the study, I'm one of the first people to receive the results, but I'm sure there will be more information forthcoming within the general M.S. community. I am one of 5 kids to have the disease in addition to my mother, which probably does indicate that this is more of a recessive trait (like blue eyes) that I was unfortunate to inherit.

Most people surmise that it is an environmental factor that finally triggers the onset of M.S., but most certainly there are biological indicators showing that certain people are more at risk than others.

I am now going to take place in another broader study regarding autoimmune diseases in general. People have speculated there is something similar triggering such diseases (R.A., Lupus, Crohns disease, Psoriasis, etc.). If we find a cure for one, maybe we'll find a cure for all. Crossing my fingers and hoping our descendants will be spared of such vile diseases...
            I agree because while I do think it can be an environmental or situational trigger imo there had to be something there to begin with or else everyone in that area would have MS. FWIW I once cared for a young woman that was diagnosed because her neuro issues started after a car accident, no head trauma involved, so I'd guess it was just the stress of the whole event. Her Aunt also had MS.

Thank you so much for participating in these studies. I agree that any information collected might end up helping us and many others with autoimmune diseases.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

genetics plus

My DH was diagnosed at 53 years of age. His mother had Guillian-Barre and my DH had epstein-Barr which turned into mono. All are linked to MS

autoimmune disorders tend to cluster. MY DD has Graves. no other family history for MS

think most people think there is a genetic component which may be triggered by a virus. But who knows the latest MS motivator seems to suggest maybe the immune response is to something else and not really autoimmune.

BUT vitamin D link is clear. get your levels tested and your sisters. my DH is on a medically prescribed high dose Vitamin d3. must be D3

Comment

Working...
              X