family w/ms ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

family w/ms ?

my sister was just informed while she was in the hospital that they found lesions that they were not looking for and that they were 98 percent sure it is ms I have been dealing with ms for approx. 14 years she is only 3 years younger than me so she will be 52 this year is that not a little late in life to be dx i was 39 when dx just wondering
    call me crazy but i am more concerned if she has it do not worry bout mine anymore I just go with the flow any advise or anyone heard of getting dx in your 50s thank you and GOD BLESS

That's amazing and unfortunate;; I'm sorry to hear it. I've just written my older sister and told her to be sure to get her Vitamin D and sun.

I don't have an answer for you, but it stands to reason that there is at least a genetic susceptibilityand environmental factors, both of which you share. I've read statistics that if a sibling has MS, you're x% more likely as well.

Comment

Diagnosed at 57 because that's when I had time to look for trouble. Sorry I did. Still praying it's a mistaken case of early Parkinson's ... not that I want PD, just that I expected it. Taking shots nightly because I'm still working, will stop as soon as I can, and wait for whatever it is that's coming, in peace.
      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

MS doesn't discriminate when it comes to age. Some are teenagers or even younger--others in their 50's or 60's.

From what I have read..20-40 seems when alot are dx.

I started my first sx at age 41, not dx till 13 years later.

I'm sorry about your sister's dx! It is good of you to be so concerned about her and not even thinking of yourself. But think of all the advice and knowledge you can give her.

Maybe she will want to join us here. If so we will gladly welcome her with open arms!

Good luck to you both! (((HUGS))) Kathy

Comment

M.S. and genetics

In my case, the familial link cannot be denied. My mother had M.S. Three first cousins, all about my age, have M.S., too. I was the latest in age to be diagnosed (40), and I think the others were in their late 20s, early 30s. Now I think I too had it a lot longer, but it took some major interuptions in my health before I woke up, took notice, and got an MRI myself. Lesions are pretty much "the reveal" when it comes to M.S. I just got my new M.S. magazine about Pediatric M.S. I just pray my DH is spared, but for sure, she is in more danger of getting the Monster than your average kid off the street.
          Tawanda

Comment

Sorry to hear about your sister. If there is a bright side, I guess it is that you will be there for her as an understanding and loving family member...unlike some family members and friends can be at times.

I am just recently diagnosed at age 39 after 10 years of desperately searching for answers, about 15 years of "weird symptoms"...and as I look back on my childhood, I think things even started then. My mother has MS and her mother (my maternal grandmother) also had MS. Grandma was diagnosed at age 52. Each of ours have had similar symptoms but all have first presented themselves differently.

Good luck to the both of you. Definitely get her pointed to this place. I know that I am learning a lot here as a newbie!
            Jenni O.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your family link to this disease. For me? It was my brother who showed first with it, ON at age 46 or 47, I can't remember (brain fart!). He's 52 now. And with my being so naive at that time (2004 or 2005), I thought I would be immune to getting it.

But NOOOOOOoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Why don't these scientists just come out and state that YES!!! there IS a genetic link for it! How much proof do they need?

Anyway, back to my story. Now we come to 2007 and I start getting this tingly numby feeling in left foot, hand, ear, eye and throat and end the year with a dx at age 51. I have RRMS and take shots, he has whatever kind is the ON kind and gets infusions per episode (he can't remember what his doctors told him he had beyond the MS part) . At last count, and through research throughout the family, it is only he and I who have EVER presented with MS. We do have a large family--my dad is one of 8 children, my mom one of 9.

How we got it or were exposed to the trigger to bring it on is a mystery.

Comment

MS in the Family

Hi,
                I was diagnosed in July 2009. After a fall at work it was the ER doc who mentioned the possibility and suggested testing. I spoke to family and my mother has a cousin on her maternal side and another on paternal side with MS. When I was 7 or 8 my mother was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a peripheral nerve auto-immune disorder. In relaying the family history to the neuro, testing was ordered and I had confirmed diagnosis in two weeks. My neuro has even suggested that my mother may have MS and was misdiagnosed with GBS. My mother is in her 70s and is very health conscious, so I see no need to demand or insist she be tested.
                My interpretation of mom's version of family history:
                The cousin on mom's maternal side, was active duty Air Force and diagnosed in his early thirties. The cousin on the paternal side was diagnosed several years ago after being misdiagnosed with one disease after another.

I really think there is a genetic link. If not, maybe it is that my mother's family is from southern Utah and all that nuclear testing in Nevada caused it.

Comment

I don't know about the genetic link. I have one auto-immune disease, ITP, which we know of no other relatives with it.

We also have no relatives that we know of with MS on eithe r side. There could be distant relations that we are not close with who have it, or perhaps I had relatives with mild cases who never tied their symptoms together and remained undiagnosed.

I also have one aunt with fibromyalgia and some other issues that we wonder, hmmm, could it be MS because of the combination of symptoms that are similar to mine.

It remains a mystery, and I wonder about my two boys; although I know that it is much more prevalent in girls. I also wonder about my sister, my neice and my cousins. Who knows if any of them might get it someday.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for research, and determining genetic links to MS and other autoimmune diseases, etc.

Comment

Genetic?

I was first told I had MS in 1990 but it was dismissed when I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis (another autoimmune disease). Then, in 2006 I found a new doctor because symptoms were so much worse. I was firmly diagnosed with MS & Sarcoidosis and was told that I was in secondary progressive stage.

I began asking my mother questions about my father's family and for years she denied any ties. Then, a couple of months ago she told me my father's sister had MS and possibly, a couple of other people on her side.
                    My doctor is doing some research into the possibilities of a genetic link and is now seeing my son who we think may have MS as well. So, do I think it could be genetic? Most certainly!
                    "All things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose."
                    Romans 8:28

Comment

My neuro said identical twins have a 30% chance of MS if their twin has it. He said he would recommend my twin get a baseline MRI with contrast. She did this week (3 days after my appt.) and they found 4 non-enhancing lesions consistent with MS. She has no clinical signs. However, bc of me (her identical twin), her neuro recommended Copaxone as preventative. She will also have follow-up MRI's with contrast every 3 months.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Comment

thanks to everyone

thank you everyone for your responses i appreciate the support my sister has no computer and she does not want to learn how to use one she is a little slow espicially if it is concerning books or anything technical i just don't spell very well lol we have been talking and she is open to discussion and i will be going to her appt. with her next month thank goodness they like me there they did not have anything open till sept. so i called since they see me every month and told them to give her my appt . any rate i am going to try and get her over to my place to talk to yall if nothing else read her all the info dr gives her and explain it to her thank you again for all the input and sympathy yall take care of yourselves and God Bless you all

Comment

I was FINALLY formally Dx with RRMS at the youthfull age of 64!.....go figure?

Problem is might have ben Dx'd when I was 13. I have diplopia (MS related) since I was 18. Keep in mind, back then there would be nothing to be gained from being told I had MS (MRI did nto exist and NO treatments). I became a GOMER (Navy speak for Get Out! My Exam Room)

When I was in VocRehab in the mid 80s my neuro issues were automaticly blamed on my diabetes. When I had a really bad period in the late 80s, the VA sent me to their shirnks. They noted I was "adamant" something else was wrong, just not showing up in tests. Instead of testing, my complaints were simply IGNORED and sent packing w/o any help or proper testing.

Funny thing is now it was the VA that at long last gave me the formal MS Dx last Jan and now get my Copaxone from the VA...........go figure! BTW, previously the Head MS clinic neuro at Wayne State University told me flatly to my face, they see people mostly in their 30s and 40s, NOT in their 60s! They did NOT want to bother with anyone not in the statistical ( read prime drug trial age range), same with Michigan State University MS clinic (much naster tho than WSU).

GOMER .... PIGeon holes are for PIGs & Birds.

Comment

I dont know a single relative with MS. not one! I was shocked when the MD suggested MS for me. I thought for sure, he must be mistaken.

They are suspecting that vitamin D def can help trigger MS. Make sure your relatives keep up the Vitamin D. It helps so many other disorders as well. We have become sun phobic in the age of skin cancer, but are not doing ourselves any favors by avoiding it completely. We can also suppliment with Vit D 3. make sure you get the D3, and not the D6.

I have been friends with identical twins that one has MS,and the other doesnt. Bizarre disease! Why doesnt my sister have this? She didnt take care of herself, she smokes,drinks,and so on. I eat well, take good care of myself, and... I am the one on the hot seat.

Have I mentioned how much I hate this stupid disease?

Comment

Originally posted by zoysia View Post
                              Why don't these scientists just come out and state that YES!!! there IS a genetic link for it! How much proof do they need?
                              I agree with you and fwiw I think a family history of other autoimmune diseases should be noted also. These things don't appear in a vacuum, imo.

It really frustrates me when Doctors aren't forthcoming with this information especially when people with MS are thinking of having biological children.
                              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                              Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X