• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES WITHOUT THE SP

I HAVE TO GO A NEUSINS HOME.
    SUSIE99

Comment

Thanks for the post. Have been thinking about it myself. Do live alone and if something happens what do I do. A friend of mine has one but is living in a nursing home. It does leak at night from time to time and she has aids to help her but I don't. Its hard to make a decision.

Comment

SP Catheter

Several years ago when I lost the use of my legs and had to use a power chair my bladder stopped functioning. I could not face the thought of getting into my power chair and going into the bathroom to self-cath. 5-6 times a day. So I elected to have a standard catheter inserted thru my penis. It solved the problem of having to make multiple trips to the bathroom, but as the month wore on it became increasingly painful. I also avereaged a urinary tract infection once every 4 months.

I decided to have a suprapubic cath. put in two years ago. I'm still thethered to that collection bag, but I very rarely have any pain. My home health care nurse changes it once a month. After it is changed I get a small amunt of discharge from around the entry point but it is not very bothersome, and can be easily cleaned away with a baby wipe. Best news is that I've gone two years and not had a single UTI. I started taking cranberry supplements a year ago at the suggestion of my urologist. He says that there is science behind it that it causes bacteria to be less likely to stick to the walls of the bladder.

In my experience, if you have a dysfunctional bladder it is the only way to go if you have to live with this miserable disease.

Comment

Hi Gatorz......

Thanks for telling us of your experience with the various catheters. It's just not fair that we have to live like this, but so be it. I'd asked about a regular catheter being left in, but was told they seem to be more prone to infection. So guess a supra-pubic sounds like the best solution.

Besides all of the mobility this disease takes away, it's not enough. Our dignity has to go too. I hate this disease! All the best to you..........foggy

Comment

IDC catheter is only prone to infection if you don't take preventative measures. My wife hasn't had an UTI infection for years. She has had an IDC since 1993.

You will also be prone to infection with a supra-pubic cath.

Many people have different remedies with what works for them. For my wife it's simply taking some pomegranate juice daily or weekly as it kills bacteria in the bladder.

Cranberry does not kill bacteria but does help restore health to your bladder.

Some people take both.
            Good luck with whatever you choose.

russ

Comment

Working...
            X