MOUTH SENSORY ISSUES ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOUTH SENSORY ISSUES ?

MY WIFE STARTED HAVING "ILLUSIONS" THAT THERE WERE PROBLEMS WITH HER MOUTH. THIS HAS SENSE GONE NOW TO HER LIPS, TEETH AND TONGUE. WE JUST SAW HER PCP MONDAY, NO ISSUES WHAT-SO-EVER IN THE MENTIONED AREAS. SOME STATEMENTS SHE MAKES ARE " MY MOUTH IS MISSING, I HAVE TWO MOUTHS, MY LIPS ARE MISSING, MY LIPS ARE REVERSED". I SEE THIS AS A SERIOUS PROBLEM, POSSIBLY ASSOCIATED IN ANY WAY WITH MS ? WE HAVE APPT. W/ NEUROLOGIST, BUT NOT UNTIL 1ST OF YEAR. ANY ANSWERS ?

Hi randy:
    In a person with MS, particularly a progressive form, what your wife is experiencing is not only "possibly associated" with MS, but MS is the primary suspect. There are also other possible causes, which need to be investigated.

Your wife isn't having "illusions" that there are problems with her mouth. There ARE problems with her mouth, even if they're "only" sensory. Sensory problems are as real as motor problems. Even sensory problems have the potential to become serious if they begin to interfere with her ability to know where her tongue is, speak, chew and swallow.

It would be a good idea to call your wife's neurologist and ask if this is something that can wait until the routine appointment at the 1st of the year or if she should be seen sooner. Since these are new symptoms which are spreading in scope, sooner seems to be the better approach.

Comment

Working...
    X