X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Coffee/tea symptom...

Heat has been my nemesis for 10 years.
    (I live in Las Vegas).

Each year my intolerance to temps over 75 increases.

I've gone from a nice hot, steamy shower to warm, lukewarm and now just cold (yes, even in the winter).

That said, the past 2 weeks I have something peculiar going on.

If I drink a cup of coffee or hot tea, I get uncomfortably warm. I'm talking break out a cold washcloth, the back of my neck and hair get wett with perspiration!

I don't have a fever, my body feels cool on the outside but I do not!

Just had my annual women's Dr. visit and my hormones are all good, no menopause yet.

So, just wondering if any one else experiences this heat intolerance to things other than the weather?
    Oh, can't cook with out getting over heated too (gas range/oven).

Thanks for reading,
    Gina
    Faith, Hope & Love
    Gina
    MS 1988 SPMS 2005

Hi G,

I don't know how old you are, but the symptoms of perimenopause can start years before menopause hits. I've been having hot flashes for the last 8 years and although my period is now irregular, I do still get it.

Anyway, hot beverages can trigger hot flashes in a big way. If I drink a hot cup off coffee, tea, or even soup I can't count on a hot flash as soon as I swallow it. Not only that, but red wine does the same thing to me....so I have to ask myself, how bad I really want it....I still drink them
    Dx 06/07
    Copaxone

Comment

Switch to ice tea or coffee. A cup of hot liquid can raise your core temp.
      Take care, Wiz
      RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Hi --your reactions sound like rosacia -- having hot tea, coffee, soup and my nose turns instantly red and my cheek area on face is flushed. Any alchoholic beverage reacts the same way-- I light up like Rudolph. The dermatologist perscribed a cream, but it does little.

Comment

I get too hot taking a shower so my water temperature is rather cool. I can get too hot from getting dressed or too many tries getting off the stool. but then my tolerance for temperature has been very narrow since I was a teenager and I am 53 now. below 72 I was cold and above 74 I was too hot. it just got worse during menopause.

Comment

Hi Gina

So, just wondering if any one else experiences this heat intolerance to things other than the weather?
            Oh, can't cook with out getting over heated too (gas range/oven).
            Yes! I can really relate.

Just a few facial whiffs of the steam from a couple of boiling eggs has affected me!

My biggest challenge is trying not to use a little hot sauce, cayenne pepper, jalapenos, or black pepper on my food.

I have used these hot spices ever since I was young, and now I have to be very careful. When I choose to forget that I have MS and use some form of peppers, I have the same effects as if I'm in the hot sun of summer - I can't walk, or move my arms and legs very well until I cool down.

Now that's what I call a peculiar MS thing - who would ever believe that except for us......

Take care,
            KoKo
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Gina,
              I have had trouble with hot liquids making me weak. Soup seems esp bad. I've gotten pretty used to lukewarm food and coffee.

But when you describe the perspiration on your neck and head it does sound like a typical menopausal symptom.
              I was really having trouble with that during the night... waking up with a damp pillowcase. Then it would happen sometime after my nightly cup of green tea. All of a sudden the back of my neck and forehead would start to perspire. After reading about the clinical trials of estriol on women with RRMS (of course!) I asked my neuro for a RX. I haven't noticed any improvement in MS symptoms after a month, but the sweaty neck and head have stopped.

Isn't great to be a woman?!!
              Good luck,
              lori

Comment

Man or woman,it happens to both...

I found an article about MS causing flushes. I don't know why, i just remembered it because I have them. I had a complete hysterectomy over 20 years ago. The brain controls everything and it could have mistakenly sent you the problem. There isn't anything exciting happening in the BR. The doctor did say that I had had tiny strokes in my brain but nothing to worry about. I guess MS caused that too because I have Dawson's fingers and damage from veins pushing up into my brain to the ventricles. As soon as I talk to my doctor (I just got this summer)that finally diagnosed me at just over 59 yrs old with what I already knew, I will talk to him about a way to make sure no more mini-strokes.
                there is no help for getting rid of the pain in my hip to help me walk better, because he said too many things going on in me and too much autoimmune I guess since I also have C.I.D.P. coming from my lower spine. He said no doctor will touch it. I just try to cut fat in my diet and await a treatment that I can afford.

Comment

Isn't being female fun? Sarcasm is my shelter from ugly truth.

My menpaws started at 47. If I drank a cup of coffee and I drank alot because I was always so friggin tired, I would have a hot flash. I was on hormones for awhile and that helped till they figured out the hormone I was one did more damage than help. So I went cold turkey, had some hot flashes. But they subsided. Once I was done with Menopaws my MS started coming on and I was dx'd in 08 at 54..

I can still get a sense of a hot flash at times when I drink a hot beverage but more often its when I am doing some sort of housework, chore or anything physical.

I always have a huge glass of ice water nearby - that really helps. Even when I am driving, I keep this big, at least 16 ounce jug of ice water with me. It helps keep me from overheating. HTH

Comment

follow up

Thanks all of you for weighing in on this.

My doctor tells me it's a combination of the MS, my thyroid, my psoriasis, the type 2 diabetes and some of my medication.

Oh, well, that's understandable! LOL.
                    Faith, Hope & Love
                    Gina
                    MS 1988 SPMS 2005

Comment

Working...
                    X