X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPMS...DR wants me to have in-patient PT AND OT

I went for an evaluation at the place he suggested. They

are having me get some things taken care of before I can

start, a gash in my leg (almost healed), have my eyes seen, to see if blurred vision is MS or some other problem.

I'm worried about going because I have such a hard time keeping dry....I can't get my clothes off myself to make it to the bathroom. It takes me so long too.

I'm really hoping the intense PT/OT will help but I'm scared. I have fallin so many times that I'm using a power wheelchair most of the time. I can't get up when I fall so I have to call 911. I try so hard to do things but get worn out trying...........

any advice? Anyone ever been in for a couple weeks?

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. It does seem like your doctor is trying to look out for your best interest. My dad went to such a place for a different medical problem and it was wonderful for him.

First of all, they ensured all his needs were met in a timely manner. His drugs were regulated and his meals consistent without him having to worry about it. This alone helped him get his day regulated which improved his situation.

He saw 5 doctors the first 2 days and they each evaluated him for different areas. There was then a meeting with the therapists and a game plan was developed.

The therapists met him where his needs were and helped him improve without danger. His safety was the most important thing. The days spent there really helped him get back on a stable setting that he could maintain many of the gains.

I hope your time is as productive. I hope they help you exercise and increase your strength. I hope the OT is able to help you with dressing/undressing and even help you get off the floor without 911. Better yet, keep you off the floor to begin with.

I just wish I could have given you more realistic information about your own treatment plan.

Wishing you the best ...

Comment

Hi Susan, Yes I've been there! I was in for a total of 6 weeks.There I learned how to "self-cath" No more leaks!
      I was in due to an awful Flair caused by an Ecoli infection.
      It just takes time & a lot of hard work,I've had this MonSter for 13yrs. I've now slid into SPMS & use a Rollator at home & wheelchair when out.
      Keep us posted,God Bless Nona.

Comment

Thanks for your replies....

I'm planning to go, just not sure when. I'm sure it will be helpful. I'll let you know when I decide. My eye problem is a cataract....at least that can be fixed! My leg is almost healed, I just need to get the swelling down. My DR has recommended leg pumps and using support socks. I hate wearing them. Mainly because it's so hard to get them on, just one more thing to bother my DH with. He's a saint, but I don't want to push him

Comment

Susan14,

Good to hear you are planning on going and I hope it will prove to be beneficial. Do whatever you can to keep the strength you have and, hopefully, get stronger.

I've had in-patient therapy several times, both in hospital settings and sub-acute rehab settings. I've had it from 2 weeks to months at a time.

I had 3 hours of therapy 6 days/week in the hospital settings and 2 hours of therapy 5 days/week in the sub-acute settings. This may sound like a lot, but I was never pushed beyond what I could do. Besides helping you get stronger, they will teach you strategies that will help so you won't wear yourself out so much trying to do things.

Overall, the therapists I've had were wonderful. It was also nice to have help from the nurses and nursing assistants. I found I was able to conserve energy just for therapy as an in-patient. You will have plenty of "down time" to rest outside of therapy.

I feel fortunate I was given opportunites for in-patient therapy. I hope you'll feel the same after yours.

Best wishes,
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
          X