Pain and depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pain and depression

I have been experiencing symptoms since the ago of 5 or 6 so now going on over 30 plus years of ******. Diagnosed roughly 8 years ago which was a relief to find out i wasnt crazy. But now daily i notice how much worse i am. My pain an ddepression is out of control. Does anyone else suffer from severe pain and depression?

On March 1st, when I had a MRI, my pain went out of control. During the pain episodes depression did set in. Didn't want to see anyone or go anywhere.

Yesterday I saw the dr about my pump (the pain started where the pump is located and goes down my tailbone). The decision was made to remove the pump and see if the pain stops and to tell if I really need it since I'm not walking anymore.

Where is your pain? Has anything changed since you posted?

Comment

spinal spasticity

My 44 yr old son has progressive MS. It is moving fast, and he gets terrible spasiticity in his spine, around his chest and stomach. Sometimes he barely can breathe and as for sitting in a chair, he gets so weak that he cannot hold himself up. He ends up going to bed and spends much of the day afraid to move.
      You bet there are lots of tears, wishes that it would all end now, and depression because of his life and his guilt that he is ruining our lives. We are his caretakers. You are not alone in this and that is what I tell him all the time.
      But, it is hard when there is no help and no relief from terrible symptoms. And, his dear wife of 20 years kicked him out. So, MS has done a real job on him and his life. No advice for you, except find someone else in the same situation and talk to them. Only they can really "get" it and commiserate with you.

Comment

pain and depression

for me these go hand in hand. Even when the pain abates living with progessive MS keeps the depression around to varying degrees. I need help from professionals in the psychiatric field. This has helped me through some tough spots. Hang in there and keep posting. Dale
        Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Originally posted by dalechilders51 View Post
          for me these go hand in hand. Even when the pain abates living with progessive MS keeps the depression around to varying degrees. I need help from professionals in the psychiatric field. This has helped me through some tough spots. Hang in there and keep posting. Dale
          i flat REFUSE to be depressed
          dont let depression take over your life as this terrible desease does. make the best of what you have. it could be worse.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/annette-fun...rosis-1.984202

Comment

Wow Sniper,

Thanks for posting that story of Annette. It is poignant in so many ways.

Probably you need to post it in a thread on one of the boards that gets more traffic, in hopes of raising some money for her foundation, I'm going to look for the link online. How sad that research has to be privately funded...but God bless her husband for at least wanting to investigate more.

And with the recent threads about money making it easier to deal with MS...I think this shows that no matter who you are, and how much money or fame you have, MS is a cruel monster...that can do what it wills no matter how hard you fight against it.

And yep, it's a rebuke to me to quit complaining, it can be worse.

Comment

Here's the link to Annette's site:

http://annetteconnection.com/About-CCSVI.php

Comment

I live severe M.S. I have progressed to the point where I can no longer walk nor move my arms and legs. Yes, I have pain but it is treated by medication. But I no longer feel depressed do taking a small dose of an anti-depressant. I have a Sip n' puff device to use my computer and stay active. My health insurance provided me with a wheelchair that I drive with my head. There is an M.S. site that helps people obtain such things, I don't know if it's o.k. to put it here.

Please don't give up! Help is available.!

Comment

There is light at the end of the tunnel!

Originally posted by Rainicloud View Post
                  I have been experiencing symptoms since the ago of 5 or 6 so now going on over 30 plus years of ******. Diagnosed roughly 8 years ago which was a relief to find out i wasnt crazy. But now daily i notice how much worse i am. My pain an ddepression is out of control. Does anyone else suffer from severe pain and depression?
                  Hey there Raincloud I can’t say I have the answer for how you feel, we all deal with MS in our own way and it affects us all so differently but here’s what worked for me. I too have severe pain and with that come depression. I was taking lyrica for pain and yes it helped but didn’t do much for the depression.
                  My wife after listening to me complain (win) about it for about a year went online and did lots of reading, trying to find a drug that would cover both before I drove everyone in the house mad. I can no longer work or drive so I’m willing to try just about anything to help me and the family.
                  I now take Amitriptyline and it seems to be doing the trick so far, my GP had me on 50mg every night for 14 days then to 100mg didn’t do much for the depression. So I called the MS nurse and she told me to up the dose to 150mg and it really seems to have helped the depression after a few days.
                  My only complaints are that where I’m affected with MS the pain has been relieved but I used the pain to be able to feel things like stepping, lifting my legs or left arm now they are much harder to move but with little to on pain. The dry mouth is the worst side effect and I mean dry!
                  Here is a link to a blog that might help you to decide what’s best for you http://www.mssociety.org.uk/forum/ev...mitriptyline-1

Comment

I found out it is Lexapro I take, I cannot recall why it was prescribed. It is an antidepressant, but it was given for someting else. I intend to check with my Dr.

Comment

Pain, Anxiety and Depression

I have secondary progressive MS. I am in pain especially on my right side - from my buttocks down to my toes. I have pain in my lower back and sever tightness in my chest from anxiety. I just want to scream. I am taking effexor 225 mg. and gabapentin 300mg 3x's a day. My limbs are very cold and walking is difficult. I use a wheelchair when I go out. How do you remain positive when you feel this way? I do not want to be on pain medication and sleep all of the time and I am also afraid of becoming addicted to it. My mood is affecting my family in a negative manner. I have been isolating myself. Need some advise.

Comment

HopeforDeeDee, sorry it's taken awhile to get a response. Isolating makes this worse, do what you need to, to stay connected to people. How long have been on your current meds and dosage. It might be time to get back to you doc and let him know how you are feeling. Talking to a therapist might help too, we need help where we can find it. Hope this helps. Take care Dale
                        Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Deedee,
                          Gabapentin didn't help my pain. Tegretal does. It is a horrible shocky-burning pain in my rt leg aggravated by certain movements and pressures on my leg. I take a very small dose 100-200mg, depending on how bad it is that day. For some reason they've known for years that anti-seizure meds help with nerve pain. (it is key to know if it's nerve pain or pain from spasticity) Cymbalta helps some people with both depression and pain. I agree with Dale, it's time to try new meds

My PPMS has been a brutal ride downhill and there are many times I mourn for myself. I try to do my crying alone. It's easier for my husband and son to deal with my physical problems. They can lift my butt, not my mood. I know it's harder for some not to be angry (my husband gets PO'd from a headache)

Don't worry about addiction, just feeling better.
                          I wish you the best,
                          lori

Comment

Originally posted by sniper762 View Post
                            i flat REFUSE to be depressed
                            dont let depression take over your life as this terrible desease does. make the best of what you have. it could be worse.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/annette-fun...rosis-1.984202
                            I refuse to be depressed also, but clinical depression does not "listen" to us, as it is a REAL issue/disease.
                            Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Working...
                            X