Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to spms??

hi,

I have RRms and have been researching about SPms. I read the "average" time from RRms to SPms is 19 years. Right now, I'm at 17 years and just wondering if anyone here that has SPms could shed some light on how acurate that info is or if anyone would care to share how long it took for them to become SPms. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that I just stay RRms but as we all know, it too unpredictable to tell. I just figured that after a reasonable amount of time I should know my fate? thanks for any replies.

Much shorter for me, near as I can tell, the time from my first attack to being SPMS was seven years. I'm not sure how well any "point" in the process can be defined. Do we always have a definite "first", a certain point remission stops and progression begins? Often things overlap to some degree. Yet the numbers, it seems, would suggest a more certain path.
    Steve
    sometimes you can't make it on your own

Comment

It was about 20 years (from the first major and obvious symptom that I had) to be dx SP. Then again, it could have been longer if I include intermittent tingling in feet and hands.

I have been on the SP path for 3 years now. Looking back to 23 years ago I didn't know what was going on and didn't get a dx until 10 years later. If I had been on a DMD earlier, then maybe, just maybe I'd be better off now, but who knows? Then again, 20some years ago there weren't any DMD's!

It's really hard to know what the future may hold as we are all so different. I know some who are doing well and are still RR after 25 years!

Try not to worry about your future, Vikingkitty. I think it would be better to concentrate more on good nutrition and exercise as well as find the meds that work best for you!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

My first symptoms were over 20 years ago. I did even think about MS until last summer. My initial DX, in Oct. 2011, was SPMS. I just can't say when during those 20 years I went from RRMS to SPMS.

Kyle
        At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

No one really knows and the averages don't tell about you any more than the average height in your zipcode.

Obviously, you're young and wondering how you will do. Some people get to a certain age and are disabled within a few short years. Some get it young and are only minimally disabled after decades. And being progressive in itself doesn't necessarily mean quick progression.

You can do what you can, and if I were you I would get this book and do the program. Get it and read it. It's the most comprehensive yet not depressing book on MS from a doctor who has MS and whose mom had MS. It includes a program of diet, exercise, meditation and meditation that IMO could give you your best chance.

http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Mul...1742403&sr=1-2

Comment

Working...
          X