PHYSICAL THERAPY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PHYSICAL THERAPY

HELLO HAS ANYONE FOUND A GOOD PLACE FOR PT TO HELP WITH PPMS?

Hi gmurf!

I was dx with PPMS 9/2011 and recommended PT due to weakness in r leg and foot drop.

I believe the PT is to treat the symptoms, not the type of MS...really, its all MS in the end.

I live So Calif and could find or get into a place that does PT for MS, so I see an Ortho PT who has treated MS patients and he is pretty good, but hasn't worked on balance at all, so there may be a difference.

Good luck and let us know what you find or describe your sx and maybe others can chime in.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I think any qualified Physical Therapist would know how to help you. I was dx in 9/05 & have worked with a few different therapists over the years. They all were very helpful. Mostly they just try to help you maintain your balance, keep moving & relieve pain & stiffness.

After they get you started on the right exercises for you it's up to you to keep doing them. I tend to go back to PT after I've had a change in symptoms or new pain. Then I continue with my usual routine at the local pool & whatever new things they've added.

Comment

Physiotherapy

I'm going to a PT at the local MS Society who is trained to work with people with MS.
        I've been to some others who don't have the foggiest notion how to deal with MS symptoms anddisabilities.
        As well the same goes for a lot of massage therapists who just want to dig into muscles to loosen things up when that is one of the worst things to do for MS.

Comment

My experience with PT is that it does a good job of making the muscles that work strong and flexible, but really doesn't do much for the affected area.

My balance is a little better and I walk a little better, but that is because my trunk and hips are in better shape, not because the foot drop and leg weakness is any better
          Steve

Comment

I have been going to my local MS Society chapter for physical training for 4 or 5 years now, and I'm convinced that it helps. Like the previous poster, I don't think that it regenerates dead nerves or really even stops the disease. But I do think that using whatever range of motions that you have left can slow down the the disability progression. Just keeping those nerve pathways busy makes it harder for the disease to shut them down.

Comment

Massage and exercise

I was interested to read that deep massage is not good for MS. I kind of thought so - so I always ask for an extended foot massage! Feels awesome! Regarding exercise, I too think that exercise allows the good muscles to compensate a bit for those that are disappearing. I know it is a "grunt", but I really think is helps. It is always possible that new nerve connections can be developed. I am so far pretty good at stemming off disability pretty well, and can walk about 1 city block unaided, then a cane for another 3 blocks. I have had PPMS for about 7 years (dx and I have speculated). So, hang in there - there seems to be much interest in MS as a whole. That's good for everyone.

Comment

PT

I haven't had much luck with PT, but I'm sure there are PT therapists out there who are competent and skilled in helping MS patients. For the most part, I do stretching daily and light weight lifting. For the past 8 months, I have been doing Therapeutic Horseback Riding, 2x/week. I seem to be more conscious of my posture when "walking" with my walker or cane as a result of being conscious of my posture while on the horse. For me, the benefits derived are more psychological than physical, but for the most part, horseback riding is an all-around great activity for those who have upper body strength and aren't afraid of horses.
                Dx'd PPMS, 6/1998

Comment

i think the horse is definatly playing a role in your therapy. they are known for their healing spirit simply by be being near them. some inspiring info here http://www.holistequine.com/

Comment

PT

Thanks, Razgo. I'll look into that. Horses truly are amazing-- one of our most hard working and loyal service animal. The horse I've been riding is very cooperative, patient and seemingly forgiving, with all my mistaken signals and clumsiness at times. Learning to trot right now. It's a lot more difficult to do than it looks.

Comment

Working...
                    X