I am getting scared for the first time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am getting scared for the first time!

I was diagnosed with MS about 4 years ago. At that time the Drs suspected that I had MS since I was very young because of my medical history. The Dr put me on copaxone. We had been talking about switching, since I was still having so many flairups of the MS. In April of 2011, I lost my insurance.I have been off all meds since then. My health has detiorated very rapidly. I cannot get a Dr to listen because I dont have any insurance. I am in and out of the ER and they just yell at me (literally) to get to the Dr.s. I dont know what to do. I am for the first time in my life, afraid that I am not going to be able to take care o fmy kids. Does any one have any suggestions?

supermom-

I will not have insurance after September and I am SSDI. The DMDs, Betaseron and Gilenya both said they will provide assistance. Betaseron was no cost at all. I will not know what Gilenya will be, but right now it's no charge while I am on insurance, so I think it will be the same once I'm off insurance.

Go to rxoutreach.com and needymeds.org and look up your other medications. Also contact the drug manufacturers. Mine have been incredibly helpful. Some will be completely free of charge and some are at a hugely discounted rate.

If you doctor will not give you a payment plan or a discount as a private-pay patient switch doctors. I called around and asked the NMSS for a list of docs that will take private-pay patients. I have found doctors that will reduce their rates and let me pay in payments - we negotiated a number per month.

What you are going through is absolutely ridiculaous - but I know it's true because I was going to go to a highly recommended neuro and he was not going to see me until I put down $200 cash as "safety net" in case I didn't pay his fee of possibley $400 per visit. I am not going to that doctor and told them why. I also stopped going to a therapist because she refused to take a self pay patient - I asked prior to telling them I would be self-pay and the office manager sort of "huffed" and said "we don't take those" - like they had rabies or something!

It's unfare you are dealing with this but please contact the above and the drug manufacturers. There is also a forum that lists the numbers you can call for medication assistance somewhere on this site but I can't find it again.
    This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

I agree with all of the above. The DMD's all have a program. Any other meds...get generic. Do check with NMSS for help for sure. Take care
      Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. Unknown

Comment

All the DMDs have a program except Copaxone, which will refer you to assistrx (or is it rxassist).

Just call whoever you want. Also, call the MS Society and if you have no money, get medicaid

Comment

Hang in there

Hang in there Supermom4. If you are not working, I would suggest you go to your local social security office and apply. Your doctor's office will need to submit your records on your behalf. Get that started as soon as you can. I can't speak for others, but our experience with MS has been that our Neuro has nothing to offer in terms of treatment and almost everytime we go for my partner's every 6 month check up, we are told there is nothing new. I am not saying do not take medication, but no meds have worked for my partner and therefore I'm not sure what his doctor is really doing for him. He exercises as best he can, eats healthy, and tells this MSonster every day that he will fight to the end. Chin up!

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
            if you have no money, get medicaid
            Qualifiying for Medicaid isn't just a matter of filling out a form. Call first, believe it or not, they can be very helpful, it's a lot faster than filling out the form and then waiting. I was told right away that I didn't qualify. Supermom's children will qualify because they are children. She may qualify for some parts of Medicaid, they can tell you what those will be and they can also give you information of other associations that can assist with medical care.
            This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will look up and call all of the suggested places. I did get help for my kids, but they denyed me up front. I am not giving up though! My health is slipping fast, but I have four kids, two with dissabilities of their own to take care of, so I have to keep fighting! Thanks everyone!

Comment

hey

soo not easy ever. I'd call around to get a neuro at low cost for now. mine charges me 55 a visit because i too have no insurance as of yet.

i got free avonex which is being sent back decided to go with another med. there are neuro's out there who are understanding and decent ppl with whom will work with you. than they can tie you into a pharmacy for one of the dmd's so you can qualify for their programs. another option is ldn which is super cheap. that's what i'll be taking. in the meantime pick up some cheap vitamin d and vitamin b12 and omega's if you can.

hang in there.
                Jen Dx'd 5/11
                "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine008 View Post
                  hey

soo not easy ever. I'd call around to get a neuro at low cost for now. mine charges me 55 a visit because i too have no insurance as of yet.

i got free avonex which is being sent back decided to go with another med. there are neuro's out there who are understanding and decent ppl with whom will work with you. than they can tie you into a pharmacy for one of the dmd's so you can qualify for their programs. another option is ldn which is super cheap. that's what i'll be taking. in the meantime pick up some cheap vitamin d and vitamin b12 and omega's if you can.

hang in there.

I agree completly . You can get free meds from all of the companies (and in the case of copaxone, from RX assist).

But the vitaminD is a MUST. Low levels have been linked to exacerbations.

Comment

Working...
                  X