Do you have a home health aide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a home health aide?

For those of you that live alone, do you use a home health aide? I have a woman that comes 3x a week and mostly does housekeeping, which is great, but I feel I may need something more. Any advice is welcome.

My aide does the bathing and my stretches.
    I take it there is a RN overseeing the aide and she should know of what else HH can offer (OT or PT or ST
    ) or she may know of someone that can help in a different area.

Comment

Hi JJ....nice to meet you. I'm presently in the same position as you. I have cleaning ladies once a week who have become good friends, so they do other errands for me and take me to doctor appointments, etc. However, I really need more help now, like bathing, dressing and cooking. Isn't it amazing how awful frozen dinners can taste after relying on them for so long? My standing ability is becoming worse so, as you know, normal houses weren't made for people in wheelchairs. My little dog is lots of company, but she's definitely not a service dog.

All the best to you and I'll be watching this thread for some ideas.....hopefully. Btw, I'm originally a "Jersey Girl" too. Take care........

Comment

Home Health Aids

Hello! I have home health aids 3 x day. Am a widow with limited income. I appreciate them but I miss doing it myself. Sometimes I feel as if I'm watching them. I am 58, they are 30 or under. The fact is, I DO NEED THEIR HELP and so, am grateful to have help. Last year was also alone, fell a lot and finally broke my femur. YES, A HEALTH AID IS GREAT. I had to go through a few wrong ones, but now have good matches. If you need more help, ask. I am covered under Medicaid Waivers (Carestar), Ohio.

Comment

Home Health servicesmand availability vary greatly by state and even by vendor. I was in home health adm for 12 years and will answer what I can. For home services paid by Medicare or Medicaid, you must be homebound, there must be an absence of a willing and able caregiver. There must be a need for a medical skill such as wound care, OT/PT/ST. If the above criteria are met you may be eligible for intermittent services. For example a nurse's aid may visit in the morning, help you out of bed and assist with hygiene. In the afternoon she may make another visit to help you undress, prepare a simple meal, assist with toileting, etc. Some of my clients were seen as infrequently as once a week depending on their individual needs. Some patients required a RN multiple times per day to administer IV medications. There are also some state programs which will pay for hospice or respite care, homemaker services or even transportation. The best way to findout what is available is to ask your physician for a referral. Home Care agencies are highly skilled in explaining available services and finding a payor source.

Comment

Thanks, all, for your replies. More and more I am finding that doing so-called "activities of daily living" are becoming harder,

Comment

4-5 hours a day, 7 days a week

If it gets done, the aides are the ones doing it. I have them come as late as they can so I can be tired & get help getting in the bed. They even do shopping.

KK

Comment

home health aide

jerseyjenn, So glad you posted this b/c was very curious.

My ILC worker's supposed to be getting me OUT of this

nursing home and into an apt. although I'm really scared to

live alone. Does anyone else have the same concern?

hugs, angel
                livelover

Comment

Making me safe & secure

I have lived alone for 8 years in these apartments. It is wheelchair accessible. The entire town is also. You have to see how much you can do own your own. My aides do everything for me. Think I am the lucky one with that.

Carry a cell phone & a cordless on my body AT ALL TIMES. I have enough helper devices - remotes for lamp, tv, & reminder dry erase boards in every room. I can transfer myself so far.

Being alone is something you have to decide if you can handle by yourself.

KK

Comment

Working...
                  X