Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books without bad language

Hello everyone,

Can anyone recommend any mysteries/thrillers without all the bad language?

I believe I have read all of Mary Higgins Clark books.
    God Bless Us All

Have you gone back and read all the Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes? Ask your librarian too. They should be able to recommend a few authors.
    Portia

Comment

Mrs. Pollifax

It's a wonderful, old series about a garden club elderly lady who is mistakenly recruited as a spy for the US government... written by Dorothy Gilman, her stories take her all over the world. Exciting, clean mysteries.

I also used to read a series about a multi-generational Maine family living off the coast, on an island ... several books, several plots... written by Elizabeth Ogilvie.
      First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
      Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Thank you Portia & chalknpens, I will check into these.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

books

I like books that ar faith based. Dee Henderson and Terri Blackstock are really good. also u should try susan may warren

Comment

Classics. I've never read a classic piece with trash talk in it - not like the popular ones today.

Comment

Peggy Webb, angels

I've been reading some Peggy Webb stories and enjoy her characters and story lines. The first one is called Touched by Angels, and the sequel is A Prince for Jenny. She has another series, the first of which is called Donovan's Angel. You can find her on Amazon, Goodreads, and more.
              First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
              Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

If you like "cozy" mysteries, I love the Dead-End Job series by Elaine Viets. Also, the Savannah Reid series by G.A. McKevett.
                ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

I am sorry I have not looked at this post in a while but I would like to thank everyone and I am going to look into these books.
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

another suggestion

The Number One Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith!

I left my copies with a church choir where I did my dissertation research and they all told me how much they liked the interesting stories without bad language or explicit sex. Some are murder mysteries, so sometimes someone is killed, but I don't recall any descriptions of violence, either.

And I didn't even notice that anything was "missing" when I read them - didn't really think about any of that until my friends mentioned it.

Comment

Mrs. Polifax are great stories. I have read all of them. She is one spunky lady.

Another series of mysteries that are without explicit language is by Cynthia Riggs-Martha's Vineyard Mysteries. The main character is a 90ish lady who writes poetry, serves as a deputy sheriff (because she is so good at solving crimes), gardens and writes a column for the local paper.

Also I recently discovered the Miss Dimple series-Mignon Ballard.They take place during WWII in Georgia and are delighful reads-very historical. Also you might try Grace and Favor Mysteries by Jill Churchill-takes place during Great Depression and are terrific. I have read all of them. I wish there were more.

And you might check out Joanna Fluke-The Hannah Swenson mysteries. She owns a cookie shop so the mysteries have receipes, too. I have tried some of them and they were good. I like the stories she spins. THere are maybe 10-12 of them?

And I love the Anne George -Southern Sisters series-which takes place in Birmingham Al. These two sisters are a hoot. One is a retired English teacher and the other has survived three husbands and is wealthy.

Happy reading!

lydialou

Comment

I LOVE Mary Higgins Clark books!!!!!

Have you tried any from Frank Peretti?? I am reading - Illusion right now. I really like it, but I like all his stuff. Monster is a great one too. Well like I said I like all his stuff. he has a movie from one of his books too called Hangman's Curse. It's a books too, I really liked it, because it was filmed and written from the town I used to live in, as Frank P lives in ID close to WA where we lived up to two years ago.

The Oath is really good too.. also from him.

Other than Mary I don't read much of anything else. I did read all the hunger games it's the only way I would let my son read them or go see the movie, and he had to read the book first.. they are easy nice reads, not gross or anything like that as one might think.

Hope you find something great. Mary's Daughter writes too, but I couldn't really ever get into her stuff, I think her name is Carol same last night, but you might like them.
                        Fighting the MonStor, and the Beast of Depression.
                        A fake smile can hide a Millon tearS

Comment

I just discovered the Psalms 23 Mystery series by Debbie Viguie. So far there are 3 books: The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want and Lie Down in Green Pastures.

I have pretty high expectations for mysteries and so far I haven't been able to figure out "whodunit" before it is revealed. (Thought I knew in the 1st book but turns out that's just what she wanted me to think!)
                          DX 10/2008
                          Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                          Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                          Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I can guarantee none of these books will have foul language in them.

The Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich really doesn't have bad language, either.
                            Nicole
                            2 Legit 2 Quit

Comment

Working...
                            X