Buddhist inspired guide for chronic illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddhist inspired guide for chronic illness

I'm about halfway through this book "How to be Sick - A Buddhist inspired guide for the chronically ill and their caregivers"

It's written by Toni Bernhard, a woman who was stricken with what may be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome but certainly sounds like MS to me (I was initially dx with CFS, myself). I'm not really a Buddhist but I found the book wonderful for dealing with the emotional issues that comes from feeling helpless or being unable to do the things that we want.

It talks about learning compassion, which we may have for others but rarely do we have it for ourselves. Finding joy in our friends and family doing fun things instead of feeling jealous and angry about the things that they can do that we can't.

It's probably not everyone's cup of tea and I don't agree with all of it, but it definitely made me feel better about living with MS and gave me some tools to try not to be angry so often.

Originally posted by Lorelei1980 View Post
    I'm about halfway through this book "How to be Sick - A Buddhist inspired guide for the chronically ill and their caregivers"

It's written by Toni Bernhard, a woman who was stricken with what may be Chronic Fatigue Syndrome but certainly sounds like MS to me (I was initially dx with CFS, myself).
    It's probably not everyone's cup of tea and I don't agree with all of it, but it definitely made me feel better about living with MS and gave me some tools to try not to be angry so often.
    I read a blog called Shine the Divine and the blogger has MS. She often refers to the book (and she's Jewish..not a Buddhist.). I think in dealing with any disease there are universal truths, so it makes sense that the book would be helpful.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Lorelei! I've often been accused of being too hard on myself. I'll go check it out!
      “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
      Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I have the book too, have read it once and am going through it again at a slower pace. It's a wonderful, wise, deeply honest book with many helpful insights, IMHO.

I am a Buddhist, but it seems to me that Bernhard has much to say that could be useful to people of any "persuasion."

Comment

This sounds like a great readers recommend, Lorelei! I just put a hold on this from our local library after reading your suggestion. There are already lots of holds before me, so it must be sought after! Thanks~
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Buddhist guide to chronic illness

Lorelei1980, I read "Radical Acceptance-Embracing your life with the heart of a Buddha" which was a wonderful book - I read it with a book therapy group. I learned quite a bit from the experience both about myself and about the "psychological insights of the Buddha".
            Would you be willing to provide a book review on the "Buddhist guide to chronic illness"?
            I think it would be another avenue to understanding our illness and, more importantly, understanding ourselves.
            If it would be of interest to you, let me know, and I can give you more information.
            Thanks, Lorelei1980!

Comment

I just finished reading "How to be Sick - A Buddhist inspired guide for the chronically ill and their caregivers" - Lorelei's suggestion and I loved it so much that I'm going to buy a copy. You don't need to be a Buddhist to get the message that Toni Bernhard conveys. It is for everyone who is unwell!! Very inspiring and an eye opener
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

about to order the book!

looks like a book worth reading....and we are going to review it for MSWorld's Book Nook. Look for it soon!

Comment

Hi Sparky,
                  Can you tell us if the "click here" link in each of these MS Book reviews does connect and provide MS World the 5%?

That's what I initially did when I ordered Folded Notes, but then I went back and cancelled that order, came back here to the book nook sticky, and went from that link to search and order the book.

Just wondering if I made more work for myself for no reason... Amazon doesn't make mention of MS World anywhere in the ordering process.

Thanks.
                  First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
                  Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

bumping this question up

Hi Sparky,
                    Guessing you missed this question, and hoping you'll answer it in the affirmative... if we "click here" on the home page of MS World after reading a book review there, will MS World get the credit, or do we have to go back to your sticky and start from there?

Comment

Thanks, Sparky, for checking. Maybe you can duplicate your sticky with the MS World - connected link to the home page where they feature book reviews ...

I'm reading How to Be Sick now on Kindle ... lower price and no shipping!

Comment

HOW TO BE SICK and THE WORK

Read Toni Bernhard's book How to be Sick and followed a link she offered to Byron Katie's website: The Work. Opening a separate link to bump that up

Comment

How To Be Sick

Just started reading How to be Sick. I am really loving it. Another wonderful book by and about someone bedridden for a long time is The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elizabeth Tova Bailey. A quotation: "The snail and I were both living in altered landscapes not of our choosing."

Hope you enjoy this one too.

Mermaid Susan
                          "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

hmm

Originally posted by Sparky10
                            Don't forget to use the link in the stickied thread in this forum! Amazon will donate 5% of what you buy.

Nothing out of your pocket!
                            Sparky, I'd love to order my books this way-- I just don't understand what you mean... I have days like that I'll keep trying and maybe tomorrow, I'll get it. Maybe there are more posts that can help, haven't checked yet. Thanks for the info. By the way, is there any way we can have procedes donated when we order books that have nothing to do with ms-- if so, how

Be Well. Love and Light
                            Shalom,
                            Suzanne
                            You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                            X